Woohoo! Jogged at rehab today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

Well, if you can call it that....7 weeks post op. They let me do two five minutes intervals at 4.5 mph on the treadmill (50 minutes total workout but the rest was walking at 3.9mph). Barely a jog, but still! My goal is to be back at 7 to 7.5 mph. Not sure I can do that by the end of my 12 weeks of rehab but I am going to try- hopefully I can at least be at 6 mph.

WOW! I'm impressed!

When I was in rehab, they didn't decide I was ready for jogging until almost the end of the 12-week class. Like you, I was no speed demon, but I felt better jogging than walking.

Fast forward a few years, and I no longer jog. My heart is well up to the task, but my knees just can't take the pounding. (Guess that's what 30+ years of running can do.) So, I fulfill my cardio-training needs by riding a stationary bike (16+ MPH) or power-walking on an inclined treadmill. My objective is to spend at least 30 minutes daily with my heart rate up in the 130's to 140's (beta blocker gets involved here) - and these exercises do just fine.

Keep up the effort. Remember that in rehab, you get out of it just what you put into it. Push things and you'll go farther in the long run. Just don't over-do it.

The number of years running isn't the problem. It's more likely just the onset of arthritis in the knees. That's age related and not magnified by your activities all those years. I'm at more than 40 yrs running and have no joint issues yet, however the number of people my age who have had to drop out due to one ailment or another is roughly 95%.

SumoRunner;n856137 said:
The number of years running isn't the problem. It's more likely just the onset of arthritis in the knees. That's age related and not magnified by your activities all those years. I'm at more than 40 yrs running and have no joint issues yet, however the number of people my age who have had to drop out due to one ailment or another is roughly 95%.

This could well be true, Jack, as I have visible arthritis in a few other locations (knuckles, etc.). Unfortunately, other than pre-medicating with large doses of something or other, there is no solution. Even knee replacement is not going to help, and I don't want to try any of those "walk-in-clinic" cures advertised on TV.

Latest posts

Back