Wisdom Teeth

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbam

Getting 4 teeth out this Fri 1/22. Dr said to stop coumadin on Mon, test Tue and start lovenex for Wed and Thur. Then take coumadin after surgery on Fri. Does this sound right? I take 4mgs two days a week and 6mgs the rest. My range is 2.5-3.7. I have two mechanicals and a bovine. I'm a little nervous because I never stopped coumadin before.

In my opinion, you do not need Lovenox for wisdom tooth extractions. Just lower you INR to about 2.0. I do not think you will bleed to death.

I had a molar out several weeks ago and my INR was 3.3 at the time, I didn't stop my warfarin. There was no bleeding, the socket was packed and then the gum stitched.

Don't forget your antibiotics.

Thank heaven for Ross

Thank heaven for Ross

Cher:
I had my fingers crossed in hopes that Ross would reply to your post. Gracias, Ross.

Albert has had tons of dental work since his Mitral Valve Replacement 20 years ago. Thank heaven (again) that he has a dentist who has never had any concerns about anticoagulation and dental work.

You might want to take a look at Al Lodwick's site www.warfarinfo.com. Lots of good info on dental work and other topics for folks on anticoagulation.

Kind regards,

Blanche
I have missed you. Hope that they get that Chat going again SOON.

I just had a tooth extracted last week and ultimately I ended up going ahead with the 3 day bridge of Lovenox. Initially the plan was for me to reduce to 1/2 doses for the 3 days leading up to the procedure and then restart my coumadin after the procedure. Initially the plan was to bump my dose from 6mg to 8mg for the 3 days following the procedure. My cardio then decided that I should bridge just to be sure my valve was protected.

The fact that you have multiple valves I would want the protection. Im actually taking my 3rd (and last) Lovenox shot today. They are a no-brainer. The cost however is more painful than the needle by far !

My INR was 2.3ish when I started reducing my dose so I expect I was in the 1.5 range when I actually had the procedure. Bleeding was minimal, no issues at all in that respect. The fact that your doing all 4 at once probably is the best solution, this way you don't need to mess with your Coumadin multiple times.

I meant to add to my post that you should check with your dentist and cardio and see if they would consider half dosing for a few days and then Lovenox as part of your post procedure treatment.

Latest posts

Back