wires????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

I have a question for everyone. I have a wire that is about ready to go through the skin. I am a pretty thin person, and I wanted to know if anyone has ever had this problem? They don't want to take that wire out until I'm three months post op. It's like, right there, and hurts every time it gets bumped even lightly. What should I do? I have talked to my cardiac care manager, and my surgeon about it, and they don't want my valve to get infected that's why they don't want to take the wire out until then. Take care everyone! :)

Wires.......to Joy

Wires.......to Joy

Your cardiac care manager's recommendation makes sense. Our potential for infection is many times greater than those who have not had a similar procedure.

Why risk infection?

I'm just wondering what I can do to make it so it doesn't have to be removed until then, and make it so it doesn't hurt. This wire is like scraping on someyhing just under the surface.

Wait

Wait

You know the ole saying - If it hurts when you bump it - don't bump it! Just kidding you. I know the feeling exactly. I had the same thing. I had a wire removed for the same reason, but it was 3 months post op. Listen to the docs. Condiser the pain and risk that would be involved with a re-replacement surgery and that will make the wire pain seem somewhat trivial.

Wires

Wires

Hi all

This is probably a silly question but I've not had my surgery yet. Do the wires stay in permanently afterwards? Is it only problem ones which come through which are removed?

Peachy :)

yes, the wires stay in unless they absolutely have to be removed. Other than the one, my incision site doesn't hurt anymore. Tomorrow will be my 4th week post op. The reason they stay in is because if they opn you up before your heart is healed, there's more of a chance your valve would have to be re-replaced. That's NOT something you want because the more times they operate on you, the less and less chance you have of making it through it as well.

Wires staying in

Wires staying in

Actually the reason the wires stay in is this.

Wire MUST be used post op to hold the two halves of your sternum together. Your entire skeletons weight bearing ability centers around your rib cage which is held together by your sternum. They use very strong wire (like piano wire I am told) for this purpose.

It takes anywhere from 2 to 12 months for your sternum to heal completely. The wire is needed until that time. After your sternum heals, the wire is no longer required.

At that point, it would be foolish to go in to remove the wires because there is a real risk of infection. The wires will have served you well and will be yours to keep forever :)

I am told that 91% of sternal wires used stay in forever. The other ones are either removed due to breakage or irritation to the patient.

wow, I never knew that

wow, I never knew that

Wow, I never knew that. My wire is coming out because it causes me pain, but the rest of my wires are fine. I am now 4 weeks post op. YEAH! I can drive soon! I miss my car, and the freedom to leave this naval base whenever I want to. Well, gotta go get dinner finished.
Joy:D

Hi Joy and Peachy,
I've broken two wires... there are still there one year later. I was told that as long as they do not protrude through the skin then they are best left alone. Mine hurt for a while until they covered with scar tissue. They are pointing toward the inside and haven't given me too much trouble. :)

I just saw my surgeon last week and he opted to leave them, which was fine with me! I've got enough holes in me already!!! lol

Take care,
Zazzy

I had many wires that were so close to the skin, it felt as though they were ready to pop thru.
I also had to wait 6 mos after surgery to have them all removed (8)! It feels so smooth now and no longer painful, for sure. I am thin, too, and was very happy to find out I could even have them removed. After my first surgery, it wasn't mentioned, and I just lived with it for 11 years, ugh.
My surgeon did the removal. My chest was very stiff for a day or two and then I was back to normal.
Go for it when you and the doc are ready.
Gail

Wires

Wires

I still have wires in from my surgery over 25 yrs ago and all was well until last summer ,I lost some weight and felt that the wire nearest the top ,just at the base of my neck was irritating me ..I almost felt it was catching when I sat down and turned ,sometimes found it quite painful ....however my GP was not willing to take it out because she felt there might be tissue stuck to it after so long ...hoping if I have to have more surgery it will be something they can deal with at the same time ...I was surprised to be bothered with it after so many yrs ..but I just guess it's one of those things, I reckon now once a Heart patient always a Heart Patient ....still it could be worse ..I'm just glad of the advances that have been made since my last surgery in the 70s ....when heart surgery was far more risky than today and you were in hospital for many months and treated as an invalid for even longer ....yuck !!!!!
God Bless those who experiment and advance !
Scottie

Joy

Joy

Be careful driving. i thought I was ready at 4 weeks post-op, but turning the steering wheel is pretty hard the first time you drive!

driving

driving

I will be careful, but I don't plan on driving for two more weeks, because I need to get the percocet out of my system, and I drive a 5 speed. I can't shift without feeling a "pulling" on my sternum, so...I will heed my surgeon's advise. That's ok, my husband can drive me everywhere, he doesn't mind. He'd rather have me alive than not! Thanks though!

about the wires, I am getting this one removed because it hurts when it gets even brushed up against. They said they would look at it when I had my appointment with my cardiologist. I have already had my post op. Well, take care!
Joy:)

Pardon my ignorance, but, are these wires poking through the skin? If so, did they get there due to something you did?

Who out there has "pushed" the lifting limit? How did it feel? What happened?

I have a 5-month-old daughter who weighs about 17 pounds and I'm limited to 15 pounds. There are some diaper-changing responsibilities that simply can't wait and I find mysely gingerly lifting her out of her bouncy seat and onto the floor for diaper maintainance. I kinda feel it and sometimes worry that I'm doing this horrific thing to my sternum.

Whatd'ya think? Should I worry or what?

Thanks,

Steve

Some of My wires are also close to the skin and can be felt. If accidentally bumped, I see stars. You may get over the soreness after some time has passed. As Hank says, it takes up to a year. By then the problem may have solved itself by not being sore anymore. It's still early for you. God bless

Hi Steve, I would be very careful about lifting your daughter out of her bouncy seat. I am 1 month post op, and have a lifting restriction to 8 pounds. I also know that the "pulling feeling you might have on your sternum is because it hasn't set yet.

As for the wires poking out, it isn't anything I did, it's just that I am a thin person, and this one is close to my skin, and turned the wrong way. Anyways, that's why. If you feel your sternum moving up and down, worry, if not, I don't think you have to worry. Someone will let you know. These people are very helpful.

Lifting Limitations

Lifting Limitations

My surgeon and Doc said that whatever I could tolerate was ok with them. The pain will dictate what is ok and what is not.

Hi Joy and all
I actually had all my sternal wires removed. I was a very thin person, and after about 13 or so years, they were all kinda coming out. They were poking up from under the skin, looked like toothpicks trying to get out. Not to mention painful!! I couldnt wear a bra at all. (So skinny I didnt need one then!)

It was a surgery to remove them. It hurt. I was sore for a week or more. I woke up moaning and my Mom was laughing. She said "I knew you thought this would be no big deal". It wasnt a tiny deal. They made about six, 1inch long incisions, removed the wires and that was that.

I accused the doctor of using pliers and putting his knee on my chest for leveredge. Felt like it. Wait the three months. It is the wise thing to do.

mindy

Steve! What a great daddy you are!!!! And what a lucky woman your wife is!!!

I don't think that two extra pounds will hurt you too bad... but watch out for kicks from the little one!!! If you are worried call your cadio and ask him!

Take care,
Zazzy

Back