Will someone please help? What range do you have to be in INR for surgery????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your surgeon will tell you according to what type of surgery you are having.
If he wants you totally non-anticoagulated....that would be an INR of 1.1 like a "normal" person.

Colleen:

I see that you've just started this new thread. It sounds like your surgeon wants you completely anticoagulated. It's probable that he (or she) has done this surgery on others taking warfarin, and for this type of surgery, there may even be established guidelines and preferred INRs. (My guess is that because the surgery is inner ear, ANY unwanted blood will make it difficult for the surgeon to see what is being done, so the lower the INR the better). You said that you're bridging -- as long as the dosage is correct, this is an extra measure of safety. (In your case, if your INR was 1.1, your risk of clotting isn't great if the INR is low for just a few days, according to some recent papers - bridging should make it that much safer for you).

I'd trust the surgeon.

It comes down to the type of surgery, the location of the surgery (inner ear versus large abdominal incision, for example), and the guidelines suggested by the doctor. It's not a bad idea to question the doctor if the advice sounds unreasonable, and it's not a bad idea to see if the lay people (like me) on this forum have any thoughts or experience having this kind of surgery, but at some point, you'll probably be more comfortable to trust your doctor. (Have you tried googling Cochlear Implant and INR?)

I recently had a procedure to check my mechanical heart valve's performance and had to come off Warfarin. I took Clexane (Lovenox) for a week before and 4 days after with my Warfarin until my INR was back to normal. My INR went down to 1.1 without Warfarin and is now back to 2.4 ish.

Latest posts

Back