Will I feel different

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onset

Hello, I've had moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation for years -even though I'm not symptomatic, I'm sure it must have some effect on how I feel every day. I'm wondering what my "normal" will be after my valve is replaced. Will my "everyday" normal feel different?

The body has a way of compensating. Are there days when you just feel "burnt-out" or fall asleep shortly after you sit down? Looking back that is how I felt.

Example: I have about a 28ft long narrow flower bed, for years I could only clean up half of it, too tired to complete it the other half would have to wait until the next day. Now after surgery I can now clean up all of the 28 feet, plus more in the same afternoon.

I think you'll be happy with your new "norm"

Strange, I was never like that Freddie, I've felt like that after my surgery.

I'd say you won't know until after surgery if you will feel better. Since my surgery, I've had my good days..but I feel like I owe that to not smoking. Other than that, personally I've been short of breath, tired, burned out, and my head is 80% of the time a mess, and I am very sorry to use this word and hope I don't offend anybody, but since surgery..I have moments, quite a bit actually where I feel borderline retarded.

But than you may go to the next guy/girl who feels like a million dollars after surgery. I think it's hard to really answer your question.

I also was asymptomatic with moderate to severe mitral regurg for YEARS before my repair surgery. I'm only 5.5 weeks post op and already feel like I have just as much stamina as before, so if I'm not yet at 100%, my new norm is going to be great!

Disclaimer: I am exercising (i.e. walking) everyday and didn't before, so some of the energy may be from that.

At the first echo after my GP heard the murmur, I was diagnosed with severe mitral regurgitation. Surgery wasn't recommended until my second echo six months later, when they were able to determine that my ventricle was compensating. I was definitely symptomatic by the time I went in for my operation, since simple things like walking and talking at the same time or walking through the NYC streets while lugging a carry-on had me huffing for air. I probably had symptoms even before I was diagnosed -- I recall being really short of breath when we moved our son into college his freshman year or I had to hustle up a flight of stairs for an appointment. At the time, I thought I was just getting older and out of shape. It was almost a relief to find out six months later that it was due to a heart problem, even though I didn't realize what that would mean until my second appointment with the cardiologist.

Anyway, from the point of view of someone who had severe regurgitation, I was breathing better immediately after surgery. I never had to even try the incentive spirometer in the hospital, because I enjoyed being able to take big and fulfilling deep breathes on request for the first time in ages.

Once I got past the afib and healing part, I did notice a couple changes. For starters I don't get those prolonged coughs I did get when I got a cold, and my dry cough went away. Another thing that got better is my IBS went away, or at least it got much better. And for the most part I feel better than I have in years.

I don't think you'd notice too much of a difference just walking around. It will be noticeable with more strenuous activity which will seem more effortless. Have you been told the valve could not be repaired?

Back