Why did my doc say that he would choose a tissue valve for me?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superman;n869963 said:
My understanding is Heparin and Lovenox are different drugs.

yes and no ... yes, there are differences in the types of heparins, but lovenox is a low molecluar weight heparin and no as far as I know they both do the same thing and lovenox is a specific subset of "heparin".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoxaparin_sodium

Enoxaparin sodium is a low molecular weight heparin marketed under the trade names Lovenox, Xaparin and Clexane, among others

so, like, there's heparin and then there's heparin .. just to make it slightly muddy ...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2827912/

Low Molecular Weight Heparins
Un Fractionated Heparins
[FONT=&quot]LMWHs are replacing UFH for therapeutic anticoagulation owing to a number of advantages, including a more predictable pharmacokinetic profile and their ease of use.[/FONT]

So yes, we're both right :)

I would be curious to know what they had you on on your IV ... perhaps it was just LMW Heparin of a different type ... and they kept it administered in low dose for some reason?

Back on my point, as far as I know the reason for putting you on a (if you don't mind me skipping the Low Molecular Weight) Heparin after your procedure is to bring your anticoagulation therapy back quickly and reliably while re-establishing warfarin.

But as I've said before, unless you're a high risk patient I'm of the view that its unnecessary and just resume your warfarin dose.

Superman;n869962 said:
I'm sure donated blood products are great in an emergency, but I won't take them voluntarily. I know they are more tested then every, but they can only test for things that they already know about. Have you seen some of the people at the donate plasma for cash clinics?

Some blood products come from paid donors but some come from volunteer donors. I've donated over 8 gallons of blood in my lifetime, and I know some of it was separated into components such as plasma. It was a milestone for me when I felt ready to resume donating after my surgery -- it felt great to know I was again healthy enough to share some of my health with others.

I guess you can't necessarily know the source of the blood products you're getting, so your concern is understandable.

Zoltania;n869976 said:
It was a milestone for me when I felt ready to resume donating after my surgery -- it felt great to know I was again healthy enough to share some of my health with others.
The blood transfusion service in the UK won't let people who've had heart surgery donate. I was donating regularly right up until a few months before I had my AVR when my bicuspid valve was ciritcally stenotic, but once I'd had surgery that was it. The reason they gave was that it might be a risk to me, especially a risk of endocarditis. My GP and cardiologist were astonished and thought the transfusion service wrong to say this. I appealed and my case was brought up before several haematologists at a meeting at the transfusion service but they said no.I'm pretty upset about it still. I'm 'O Rhesus negative' too which is a blood they are forever appealing for.

Zoltania;n869976 said:
Some blood products come from paid donors but some come from volunteer donors. I've donated over 8 gallons of blood in my lifetime, and I know some of it was separated into components such as plasma. It was a milestone for me when I felt ready to resume donating after my surgery -- it felt great to know I was again healthy enough to share some of my health with others.

I guess you can't necessarily know the source of the blood products you're getting, so your concern is understandable.

I don't know where you've been. :)

Paleowoman;n869982 said:
The blood transfusion service in the UK won't let people who've had heart surgery donate. I was donating regularly right up until a few months before I had my AVR when my bicuspid valve was ciritcally stenotic, but once I'd had surgery that was it. The reason they gave was that it might be a risk to me, especially a risk of endocarditis. My GP and cardiologist were astonished and thought the transfusion service wrong to say this. I appealed and my case was brought up before several haematologists at a meeting at the transfusion service but they said no.I'm pretty upset about it still. I'm 'O Rhesus negative' too which is a blood they are forever appealing for.

If donating blood would put you at risk of endocarditis, then so could giving blood for any test. If the needle is sterile and they clean your skin thoroughly at first, the risk should be negligible. What a shame that they are wasting your precious O-negative blood.

My sister used to donate regularly, but she lived in the U.K. for several years in the 1980s and is now permanently banned from donating. Thanks, mad cow disease!

Zoltania;n870011 said:
If donating blood would put you at risk of endocarditis, then so could giving blood for any test
agreed ... that's why we use sterile needles and swab the skin.

Never heard that one before ... I'd expect that there is ZERO basis for evidence on that. Perhaps she means transferring Endo? But us valvers aren't walking repositorys of endo ... spreading it to the local population like Typhoid Mary

I was a blood donor for 20 years but they told me back in February I can't donate, I just assumed this was because I was on warfarin...?

Zoltania;n870011 said:
If donating blood would put you at risk of endocarditis, then so could giving blood for any test. If the needle is sterile and they clean your skin thoroughly at first, the risk should be negligible. !
That's what I said to the haematologist I spoke to at the blood transfusion service. The risk of endocarditis from their needle, or any needle such as with blood tests which I have six monthly, is the same "risk" or rather "non-risk" as I would have had before. When my valve was bicuspid and critically stenotic surely it was at as much risk of endocarditis ? Anyway has anyone ever contracted endocarditis from the needle from blood donation ? The whole area on the arm is sterilised first and the needle is a sterile one. My cardiologost and GP thought the blood transfusion doctors were being ridiculous. I think next time there is an appeal in the press for 'O rhesus negative' donators I shall contact the service again and ask them to reconsider me.

Latest posts

Back