Why are you asked to sniff during an echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisbaba

Hi,

I had my annual echo and was asked to sniff while they scanned under my heart in my belly

I have never done this in all the echo s I had so why didn’t they do it this time?

Just curious

Al

I've always been asked to sniff 👍
i have no idea why though

Quoted from linked site below:
"By doing this “sniff test”, we can look at the inferior vena cava and see if it collapses or not. If it doesn’t collapse, or decrease in diameter of at least 50%, then we know the right atrial pressure is even higher. By asking the patient to sniff, it generates a sudden decrease in intrathoracic pressure, which would normally cause the IVC to collapse at least 50%."

IVC Assessment With Echo: What Does IVC Collapse Even Mean

Neither my husband nor I have ever been asked to sniff during an echo. I’ve had echoes going back to 1990 at a variety of cardiologists’ practices and at one or 2 hospitals.
My husband has his semi-annual cardio visit + annual echo in January. I’ll ask about the sniff test then.
I have had mitral valve replacement; my husband has had mitral valve repair (chordae replaced), has a Micra AV pacemaker and has a-fib.

I've been asked to do the sniff test during an echo but only one done by a cardiologist who does 'expert' echos. He also had me do a Valsalva maneuver which is another test used for cardiac function. I've never had a regular echo technician do those tests.

This is why it made me curious whether there was something wrong

Thanks
A

Neither my husband nor I have ever been asked to sniff during an echo. I’ve had echoes going back to 1990 at a variety of cardiologists’ practices and at one or 2 hospitals.
My husband has his semi-annual cardio visit + annual echo in January. I’ll ask about the sniff test then.
I have had mitral valve replacement; my husband has had mitral valve repair (chordae replaced), has a Micra AV pacemaker and has a-fib.
Hi Catwoman. I also have a Micra leadless Medtronic pacemaker. I have A fib 100% of the time. Had a mitral repair and a ASD surgery when I was 7 years old in 1957. Dr Walter Lillehei pioneer children’s surgeon. And mitral valve replacement in 2001 at Cleveland Clinic. Long journey. Good luck and thank God for all the advances

Latest posts

Back