Who has gotten the H1N1 (swine) flu shot?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the vaccine if you can --- it's a nasty virus! We were all vaccinated, but too late for Andrew - he had apparently been exposed just prior to vaccination and got sick 2 days later. 3 days into his H1N1 he developed viral pneumonia in both lungs and had a really hard time recovering. GET THE VACCINE IF YOU CAN! (just my humble opinion!) ;)

Now I don't know what to do.
Do I get it or not?
I've been sick with bronchitis - actually feel almost normal today, so my immune is down a bit and in this part of the country we have to fill out a consent form in order to get the flu shot.
The form asks questions like: do you have a cough, fever and are you sick today. How would I respond: yes I do have a cough, I have no fever, yes I'm sick but I'm feeling better. The problem with these answers they are too long - it either has to be checked as "yes" or "no"
Oh yea, one question asks if your allergic to eggs. I am but it's not a serious reaction.

So what should I do?

Now I don't know what to do.
Do I get it or not?
I've been sick with bronchitis - actually feel almost normal today, so my immune is down a bit and in this part of the country we have to fill out a consent form in order to get the flu shot.
The form asks questions like: do you have a cough, fever and are you sick today. How would I respond: yes I do have a cough, I have no fever, yes I'm sick but I'm feeling better. The problem with these answers they are too long - it either has to be checked as "yes" or "no"
Oh yea, one question asks if your allergic to eggs. I am but it's not a serious reaction.

So what should I do?
I think that any cold/flu,even if you are recovering would count as a yes,since your immune system is comprimised for a few days after bronchitis.
And I hate to say it but I would check yes on the eggs too and try to explain it if that is the single reason why they won't give it to you - say after you have fully recovered from your bronchitis- that you only have a slight reaction. Since we dont know the reason for the question on the egg sensitivity,its best to tell them all. It may be okay.
I have not gotten mine. I was going to ,then my doctor ran out,now I feel like I don't want it really. Some of my family have problems wth certain vaccines(not me usually) but,I still don't normally get any vaccine. Right now I'm 50/50 with it,so I doubt I will go out and look for it at this point.
-Dina

Thanks Dina, right now I'm on the fence about this too and I shall wait until I'm fully recovered before I reconsider about getting the "shot", cause I'm still coughing.....at times.

I received my letter from my doctor telling me to make an appointment asap for my swine flu shot as I am 'high risk'. I have an appointment at their vaccination clinic on 24th, that is the earliest appointment they had for the special clinics.

I think I have some immunity anyway as I certainly had Asian f;u in 1957 and I think the strains have some similarity.

As for the egg thing, our form has that question and there was a note to say if a person has an egg allergy then there is a different vaccine available for them

Got the shots today...

Got the shots today...

Our local private schools got together with the Idaho South-Central Health District and got a bunch of H1N1 shots for the students. We took Jane and KC in today and Jane got the nasal and KC, due to a cold, got the injection--he was brave and didn't even wince. A friend of ours who is head of nursing at local St. Luke's hospital (husband of the nurse who put in my Foley catheter when I was in the ER just prior to my OHS) saw that I was there and got me an injection as well. He knew that I had had severe pulmonary edema and other lung problems during my cardiogenic shock episode just prior to my OHS, so he considered me high risk and got me the shot right then and there. So now all four of us in the family are immunized. We still think it's possible we've already had the Swine Flu, but then again, there's always that chance we had merely a run-of-the-mill flu of some other sort. I just don't want to risk it. Even prior to my OHS I had had persistent bronchitis episodes after flus that endured a month or more. Anyway, the shot itself hasn't proven to be difficult to adjust to. I have had no symptoms of any sort (yet?), and even the injection was painless. :)

Andrew's Mom, Andrew and the rest of your family are in our prayers.

Chris

Thanks Dina, right now I'm on the fence about this too and I shall wait until I'm fully recovered before I reconsider about getting the "shot", cause I'm still coughing.....at times.
Its really a difficult decision for those of us who have sensitivity,or family who have a 'history' of problems with vaccines,etc. By the time I make up my mind either it won't be flu season anymore,or I'll end up getting it!

It is a difficult decision. I work in an ER and I have never gotten a flu vaccine prior to this year. This year I received both, about 3 weeks apart. The regular vaccine I didn't even notice I had, after the H1N1 I felt sweaty and achy the next day, but nothing more. The only reason I got both vaccines is because I knew I was going to be having surgery. I had several doctors advise me to get them both.

I would not get it if you are allergic to eggs, or any part of the vaccine. We have seen several people have allergic reactions to the vaccine this year...maybe its because so many have gotten them for the 1st time this year.

Kerri

getting the shot in Japan

getting the shot in Japan

I'm going in for my H1N1 shot on Thursday. I've been on a waiting list since September and the vaccine is finally available in Japan. I'm a teacher and am constantly exposed to sick people of all ages. Fingers crossed for no nasty side effects.

I got my H1N1 back before Christmas--no problems.

Interesting bit of info: When I called my cardiac surgeon in late fall to ask about the safety of taking the vaccine, his office told me:

"Oh, no problem! In fact, here at the hospital (Univ of Chicago), we're giving the FluMist (LIVE virus) to all our OHS patients before we discharge them."

Cute story:
My 5yo niece went tobogganning and wanted to give her toboggan a "cool" name. She had apparently been overhearing news reports and grown-up discussions, and decided to name it "The H1N1"! I knew they said that H1N1 moved quickly, but--WOW!:D

I got both H1N1 & seasonal flu shots - not at the same time since they weren't available at the same time here. Absolutely no side effects, not even a sore arm. Oh. but the H1N1 did draw blood - about the size of the needle tip:D

Latest posts

Back