Who has gotten the H1N1 (swine) flu shot?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLLEEN S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I hope everyone on the board is getting the H1N1 (swine flu) shot! The media powers that be say we are in for alot of swine flu. I know personally 5 ppl who have had it...2 this year, 3 last year. If you take care of grandkids or are around grandkids, especially important to have it. Also, by way of cardiac problems, we fall, all of us, into the category of having need of the vaccine first...they are saying healthcare workers FIRST, then people in contact with children (daycare, schoolteachers), then very old, and very young, then cardiac and asthmatics, then the gen pop. So there you have it. My soap box is starting to cave in from standing on it too long, so I digress.
Colleen

Thanks for reminding me Freddie...I wanted also the input from our friends overseas and Canada, etc. on if they are getting them, when they are getting them etc. In Maryland USA, we are not getting till late October, and that is starting with health care workers.

My PCP told me to get one. So I guess I will as soon as he gets them in. I am getting a regular flu shot at work. Sure don't want that stuff.:(

I always get the seasonal flu shot and got mine about 3 1/2 weeks ago.
I'm becoming a little hesitant about the Swine Flu vaccine. I read it is made the exact way as seasonal flu shot and that it is safe, safe, safe...... but I'm not convinced it has been tested enough.

I will consult a number of physicians before I make a decision about getting it.

I'll be interested to read how others on this forum feel about it and what their doctors have recommended.

Our PCP said over-65 folks are at the lowest risk for H1N1 and he suggested we NOT get the shot when it becomes available. We got the regular seasonal flu vaccine last week.

I think there are some rational concerns about the h1N1 vaccine since it has been rushed into production and will not have been heavily tested. Hopefully there will be no major problems with it.

Yes! little children carrry big germs! LOL! I had got my regular flu shot almost two weeks ago, did not bother me at all for once! I am not sure about this swine flu thing, I don't do nose shots at all. It goes from age 2 to 49, so I guess I am too old at 52. I will think about the shot later when it is released. He told me to get the regular shot but never anything about H1N1 shot, I asked him if he was getting the H1N1 shot and he smiled said nothing. Not like him at all. so I will think about it for a while myself I am not thinking it is that safe.

Just read this online concerning H1N1 vaccine:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33175413/ns/health-swine_flu/

Thanks for the link, Norma. I must admit I'm still a bit skeptical. I've yet to be convinced it's safe.

When I see (hear) some doctors and nurses saying they refuse to get it, hmmm, makes me think twice.

All logic says it should be safe if same method is being used to make it but I don't feel it's been tested long enough on enough people.

Anyone else feel this way?

As seen on TV tonight; the H1N1 vaccine is being done in 2 States and its a spray up the nose - makes me sneeze just to think about it. Didn't realize that's how it was being distributed.
Sorry can't remember the States, maybe Kentucky and Illinois?

I am getting the regular flu shot this week. The cardios I see won't commit one way or another about the swine flu shot. One actually said he is not getting it for his family. I,like Bina,am going to stay home most of the time. I always avoid crowded areas for safety reasons anyway.

saw a report that explains the nose stuff and the shot. the shot has dead virus in it while the nose spray has some live virus and is not recommended for those who have chronic illnesses and are the ones considered more at risk.

I am waiting for daughter to ask her father, who is a dr, and then I will decide, but for now I am against it because of the last flu shot pushed like this one by feds years ago and many came down with guillian barre. husband refused allowing inhouse patients to have it and it was a good thing he did. lots of repercussions from that one. somma y'all might remember it.

We are getting the H1N1 shot today in GA... the CDC is going to decide how to distribute it, or who should get it. There was a dr. on the news talking about it this morning, said none of them are sure about it. I am already scheduled to get my regular flu shot on Friday, my girls just got theirs yesterday. One of them is home sick today, hoping it doesn't turn into the flu!

Wish I could stay home for the next 6 months so I don't get sick but there is the whole pay check thing and I need it. Unfortunately too many people come to work when they are sick so if it hits any of them and I haven't gotten the shot then that's taking a big risk for me. Not only that but christmas is coming and I'll have to start christmas shopping soon. Getting my regular flu shot this week and dragging hubby in with me whether he likes it or not. Gonna make the doc give me a pneumonia shot also as I always get atleast one terrIble cold in the winter every year.

We got only 700 doses in Dallas County, and they are going to first responders and medical personnel. It's all live virus nasal spray. Next batch will be for children and pregnant women. Then other at risk people.

My internist's office says they're not planning to give it, that they think it's only going to be available at the county hospital and/or clinics. I know that's not right, because the county has a place on line where doctors can sign up to offer it. I think that receptionist was uninformed.

I'll get the killed virus shot when it's available, if I can find it. I feel pretty vulnerable with this not-yet-replaced aortic valve leaking so badly, given my history of "bronchitis becomes prolapsed mitral valve and near death experience!"

Hi all,

I received my regular flu shot a couple of weeks ago. My arm swelled considerably,and the discomfort was worse than last year. My GP's office said they had alot of calls with the very same complaints. They are not committing themselve to the swine flu shot. (Or whatever they are calling it at present) Yes, I remember several years ago, the repurcusions of that one! Some people had DEADLY side effects. For myself, I just avoid crowds. I do not like crowed places to begin with, and rarely am around it. The only time I go into Houston, is to visit my daughter!

I hate crowds also and try to avoid them. What gifts I don't get online I will most likely go to walmart after work one night which would be about 1 am when there are very few people there unless I have to go somewhere else for something. I'll find out about the swine flu shot and what the doc thinks as soon as I get my normal flu shot this week.

Latest posts

Back