Which one of your 4 valves has been replaced or will be replaced?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one of your 4 valves has been replaced or will be replaced?

• Total voters

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Supporting Member
I've seen a few threads and comments lately about which valves forum members have had replaced or will have replaced, so I thought I'd start an informal poll. I've included 4 options, but you can mark more than one if you've had multiple valves replaced. Feel free to include any comments that you want to make.
If you've had a valve repaired, please mark the valve (s) type too. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice work Duffy.
Never realized you were so talented.

FWIW; my mitral valve was replace because I use a OTC diet pill that contained Phen-Pen in the early '90's, not because of any strep throat untreated or that other medical condition (forget the name- rheumatic fever) that can cause the mitral valve to fail.

Last edited:
Nice work Duffy.
Never realized you were so talented.

FWIW; my mitral valve was replace because I use a OTC diet pill that contained Phen-Pen in the early '90's, not because of any strep throat untreated or that other medical condition (forget the name) that can cause the mitral valve to fail.
Did you consider suing them?

Did you consider suing them?

Yes. But I didn't fall into the seven to ten year time frame. Surgery was in 2007, I took this diet pill around 1990 or '91

Phen Fen was an OTC med in Canada? It was an Rx med in the US.

This pill contained some Phen Fen(Pen?) and was right on the shelf beside other diet stuff. Since only had 'some' Phen Fen in it, is probably the reason I didn't fall into that 7 to 10 year claim. I clearly remember not finishing the box and maybe only took one pill 3x a week.

Hey, you need a supplemental poll for repaired valves! I've got one of those, too! I've damaged 3 out of 4.

Duffey,
Thank you for your courtesy in remembering the 'rest of us'. :)
There are times through the years, I've read here for lengths of time without anyone mentioning any valve but Aortic. And then I get told off when I mention it.

Laurie, VERY good point about valve repairs. Same open chest, same stress, same worry, same recuperation....... deserves the same attention and respect.

Hey, you need a supplemental poll for repaired valves! I've got one of those, too! I've damaged 3 out of 4.

Laurie, I meant for the poll to reflect troubles with any or all valves, replaced, repaired, or in the waiting room. The poll allows everyone to make multiple responses, can you click on the other valves choices too? They all count!

Duffey,
Thank you for your courtesy in remembering the 'rest of us'. :)
There are times through the years, I've read here for lengths of time without anyone mentioning any valve but Aortic. And then I get told off when I mention it.

Laurie, VERY good point about valve repairs. Same open chest, same stress, same worry, same recuperation....... deserves the same attention and respect.

Don't forget about being snubbed when the person "only" had a right thorocatomy or some other less invasive and not the true "sternum" procedure.

Well, you valve repair folks must be lost anyway...don't you know this is valvereplacement.org! :biggrin2:

While the content of our threads will likely always be inherently imbalanced, certainly everyone here deserves equal respect...heart issues are heart issues, no matter what, how, or why. Full or partial sternum, bypass (coronary artery) or not, and now heart and lung machine or not, etc, etc. We all hug our loved ones equally tight the night before.

Duffey - Thanks for pointing out clicking on the numbers to see the names...very cool and useful. If anything, I wish more of our members would respond. Maybe we just need Hank to set something up so a member can't post in any other threads until he or she has responded to any active polls! :wink2:

Ok, now back to the terminology and type of procedure, it seems to me we should just stick with valve location for this poll, irrespective of what was (or will be) done, as Duffey indicated. Heck, it could get pretty crazy trying to cover every specific condition and surgical technique. Just think about transcatheter valve folks for instance, their valves literally speaking are left in place unrepaired.

Sorry I've been away/busy at work the last few days (weeks, months, etc.)
We "put a ring (on it)" on my tricuspid which sags because of all the wires for the ICD. Hey, We've got our own song! I don't think this is what Beyonce has in mind, however. But MY valves and ring cost more than most wedding/engagement rings, for sure! <snicker>

Eh, you know I work in legal (estate planning). We're quite LITERAL about what the WORDS say. Occupational hazard.

Well, I don't see a poll for double-valver's like me so I'm bipartisan!

NOTE: I MUST apologize because I did not digest Duffey's poll entirely in that multi-valve transplants can also vote by marking more than one choice. My error!

Thanks for the poll, Mary and welcome back from your vacation!
:)

Last edited:
So, 77% (aortic) 22% (mitral) 5% (pulmonary) and 5% (tricuspid) so far. Meanwhile, more importantly, 472 thread views and yet only 40 total votes. Guess this poll has also determined that apathy is very common (92%) in those with valve problems... :biggrin2:

Greetings :)

Nice thread Mary :)

Ten years ago my native bicuspid aortic valve needed replaced and it looked like my mitral valve would need work or replacement also. Happily, my surgeon did a TEE after replacing the aortic valve and while I was still under, and my mitral valve was then functioning well and needed nothing afterall. Over the years I have read of others with a similar situation and outcome.

Back