Where/How to get Coaguchek?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammimajus

This may be the dumbest newbie question ever, but I'm one month post-op and trying desperately to figure this all out--I want to get a Coaguchek for home monitoring; where can I buy one?

That may not even crack the top ten of the dumbest newbie questions ever.

The answer really depends on where you live, what kind of insurance you have (if needed), who is monitoring your INR for you, and what they'll allow.

If you want to buy a meter and your strips, try ebay. Many of us have done this and so long as the meter is new and the strips are not expired it should be OK. If you want insurance coverage, you probably will have to use an INR service. They will provide a meter and strips without charge, but do charger a fee/test which usually is covered by insurance. I have done this for several years without problems. I use a service called Coaguchek Patient Services, 800-780-0675. They can get you started.

I searched high and low to buy a meter and strips after my surgery. I found that, in the US, it is basically impossible to buy them new unless you use Amazon or eBay. My doctor (for whatever reason) didn't want that so I use coaguchek patient services. They are terrific but I pay 100 per month (every 4 tests). I pay the entire cost until I hit my 3000 deductible; then I pay 20 percent of that cost.

Per the Coagucheck's make Roche, they will not sell meters to individuals. You must have a prescription. I called them up and asked. However, per the FDA a prescription is not needed. Someone on this forum asked the FDA.

I've used two services where they provide the meter for free and charge for supplies (i.e. strips and stickers). The strips you can find on-line for less than the ~$450 charged by the service. However, after my 500 deductible is paid my copay drops to 10%; on a yearly basis it's cheaper to use the insurance company's provider. My cardio's nurse clued me in about the meter often being free and mine to keep. The service won't tell you that unless you specifically ask.

Hi

tom in MO;n882350 said:
Per the Coagucheck's make Roche, they will not sell meters to individuals. You must have a prescription. I called them up and asked. However, per the FDA a prescription is not needed. Someone on this forum asked the FDA.

Seems duplicitous of them...

I've used two services where they provide the meter for free and charge for supplies (i.e. strips and stickers)... My cardio's nurse clued me in about the meter often being free and mine to keep. The service won't tell you that unless you specifically ask.

Also hardly fair either.

I wonder why?

pellicle;n882357 said:
Hi

Seems duplicitous of them...

Also hardly fair either.

I wonder why?

You need prescriptions to prove to the insurance company the need is legitimate but if you are paying out of pocket...they should still ship. It's to keep the number of suppliers down and the price fixed high. Delivery of medical supplies is a kind of a scam in the US. They won't ship w/o prepayment even if you have insurance and been with them for a few years.

I have three devices a braces, a CPAP and the INR monitor. I've had some very strange things occur with all of them. I actually was reimbursed by insurance for supplies the medical device supplier never charged me for. I was paid about $600; my co-pay was about $150 the supplier never billed me. I pay $40 to see the Dr. to save $200 on my braces which I will need until my knees are replaced...it's only money :)

Latest posts

Back