Where did my tastebuds go?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmac

Two weeks out from AVR and MVR surgery. Everything is bland and flavorless or salty and flavorless. My previous high tolerance for spicy food is gone completely. Does anyone have experience with this and does it eventually come back? As a culinary professional for 23 years, this has me singing the blues. Thanks for any responses. God bless.

IIRC its a side effect of the surgery which goes away. I hope it is that for you.

I don't recall myself.

I do hope it isn't ongoing for you, but I can say an oenologist I know had a stroke (he was in his late 40's) and as well as losing parts of his memory he totally lost his sense of smell. Basic tastes remained. Despite trying valiantly he and his wife closed down that part of their property and were very financially difficult for a time.

Life deals us difficult hands from time to time, I hope this one is temporary for you.

Best Wishes

some data:

An Australian hospital patient information page.
suggests its temporary
Your sense of smell may change and you may also experience a strange metallic taste in your mouth. This can be caused by the operation or your medication and can take 3 months to fully recover

Some other studies

This one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4349045/

Conclusions​

Our findings suggest that patients after CABG are prone to develop olfactory dysfunction in the early postoperative period and that olfactory dysfunction is associated with postoperative CRP levels.

and
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31596723/
Results: Olfactory functions significantly were disrupted in the postoperative period in patients undergoing on-pump CABG (P value < .05), while these functions significantly were not affected in patients undergoing off-pump CABG (P value > .05). During the preoperative period, advanced age and smoking were detected to be independent predictors of impaired olfactory function for the study population. During the postoperative period, smoking, amount of postoperative bleeding and serum low-density lipoprotein (LDL) level were found to be independent predictors of impaired olfactory function for just the On-Pump CABG Group. In both groups, no significant deterioration in taste functions occurred during the postoperative period (P value > .05).

Conclusion: Our study demonstrated that olfactory function was impaired in patients, who underwent on-pump CABG in the postoperative period, and significant impairment in taste function was present in neither off-pump nor on-pump CABG patients. However, the results of our study should be supported by more comprehensive, prospective, randomized controlled trials with more extensive patient series and by further tests.

Kmac, I experienced that after AVR and then redo AVR. Nothing tasted good to me for a couple of weeks. I lost weight after both surgeries. It was only temporary. I don’t recall a specific reaction to a particular type of food, although IIRC plain Jane vanilla ice cream tasted normal.

KMAC, do not worry, this is common and your tastebuds and appetite will return. It has happened to me after past surgeries, so more times than just my OHS in 2003. Just keep building strength and it will all come back.

I do have a funny story though. My first or second day back home after being released from the hospital (OHS) my dear wife made tuna salad. We typically like to spice our food. She added cracked pepper to the tuna salad and fairly large chunks. Well wouldn't you know one stuck in the back of my throat and I had a hard time trying to cough and clear considering my sternum was on fire. We do have a laugh about that one from time to time. Best of luck and keep yourself well. And God bless you too.

Two weeks out from AVR and MVR surgery. Everything is bland and flavorless or salty and flavorless. My previous high tolerance for spicy food is gone completely. Does anyone have experience with this and does it eventually come back? As a culinary professional for 23 years, this has me singing the blues. Thanks for any responses. God bless.

Yep it happened to me. Everything tasted different, bland and salty post my AVR, my taste came back to normal by about week 3 or 4.

Latest posts

Back