When is it safe to ride on an Amusment park ride?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Janea

My husband and I have been saving our money to take the kids to Disneyland for the first time. I was so excited to unveil our BIG suprise, but ended up having surgery the month we planned to go. I will talk to my doctor about this and get some medical opinions, but from your own experiences, when is it safe (as far as the sternum goes) to ride on a rollercoaster or be on a ride that may be jerky? Do I need to wait a whole year? My surgeon said that at 6 weeks the sternum has 90% of it's strength back. If thats true it seems that it would be safe in a couple months. What do you guys think?
--Janea

Jaenea,
I would think you will need to avoid the real intense rides but you might find most of the rides/ entertainment at Disney is pretty non-intense. I would worry more about will you feel like walking around for hours that soon after surgery. Everyone of course has a different rate of recovery. You may love it! or you may feel like I just want to go back and sit for a while. Hopefully your doc will give you his opinion and you can take it from there. I take you already have the tickets? If so I'd go and just paln on taking it easy while there.

This said I have never had open heart surgery and am only:p the mother of a patient who had complications and would not have been able to go so soon afterwards. He did get the okay for rollercoasters yesterday- as long as the bars don't hit his ICD. But surgery was back in June.:rolleyes:

Boy, Janea. I'm an overly cautious type. I think it may be more about ripping other newly sewn attachments deep inside than just the sternum. Definitely be particular in your question to the surgeon about this. And ask all of your doctors. Many will have heard other stories with which to gauge their opinion.

Rollercoasters are of varied intensity. You couldn't pay me enough to go on any of them. I'm very dubious as to their overall safety.

Sorry. Just my 2 cents. Please be careful.

Marguerite

I'm another one that hasn't had surgery, so my opinion should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I LOVE ROLLERCOASTERS and I've been to Disneyland in Anaheim at least ten times, so I'm pretty familiar with the rides. They are all quite tame. I would say to stay away from the Mine Train ride because it's pretty jerky and the Materhorn is kind of crushing because of the way you are seated with someone in front of you. Space mountain is a very smooth ride with no classic rollercoaster vertical drop--it has some fast, somewhat tight spirals. I'm not sure if that'd be a problem. Splash mountain probably has the biggest vertical drop, but it's pretty short-lived.

Disney handles guests with physical limitations beautifully. When my daughter was just two and my son was an infant, my husband and I would stand in line with the kids and one of us would go on the ride while the other held the baby. When that ride was complete they would let the other adult ride and my daughter would get to go again. I'll never forget the time I took my two-year-old daughter on Space Mountain (she was tall) and at the end she pitched a fit screaming "Again! Again!" The dirty looks we got from those who thought she was traumatized by the ride! They understood when hubby got in and assured her she could go again as I got out! I digress...the point being, if you decide not to go on a ride, they'll let you wait at the exit and let daddy take the kids one at a time if need be. You could also get a wheelchair for the afternoon if the day becomes too long. Also, if you spend the night at the Disneyland hotel they will let you into the park an hour early and you can do some of the most popular rides without waiting in lines. Fast Passes also cut down a lot on the lines.

TUESDAY, Nov. 15 (HealthDay News) -- A wild roller coaster ride can trigger an irregular heartbeat in some riders, which could lead to death among those with cardiac conditions.

That's what German scientists reported Tuesday at the American Heart Association's annual meeting in Dallas.

Their presentation coincided with the release of an autopsy report from the Orange County, Fla., medical examiner's office on 4-year-old Daudi Bamuwamye, who died in June after riding "Mission Space," a rocket ship ride at Walt Disney World's Epcot Center.

The autopsy revealed the boy had an underlying heart condition that affected his heart's left ventricle, CNN reported. The boy's family was apparently not aware of the condition.

"This is exactly the type of case I am talking about," said study author Dr. Jurgen Koschyk, a cardiologist at University Hospital in Mannheim, Germany. "For people with known heart disease or prior history of heart attack, we strongly recommend that they not enter a roller coaster."

Koschyk undertook the study after being invited to talk about the subject on German TV, and finding there was no research.

"There was no data, really no data," he said. "It's a problem in Germany, and probably more of a problem in the U.S. because rides are harder, quicker, faster, there are more gravity forces."

For the study, Koschyk and his colleagues enlisted the help of 37 men and 18 women, average age 28.

Heart rates were recorded before, during and after a roller coaster ride at Expedition GeForce in Holiday Park Hassloch, Germany. The ride involved a 120-second journey, ascending to 62 meters above the starting point, followed by a free fall and changes in gravity of 6 G in four seconds, with a maximum speed of 75 miles per hour.

Mean at-rest heart rates were 91 beats per minute, or normal. After one minute on the ride, the average maximum heart rates jumped to an average 153 beats per minute. Women had higher average heart rates (165 beats per minute) than men (148.5 beats per minute).

Such an increase could cause arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeats, in some individuals. That, in turn, could spur a more serious problem, Koschyk said.

In this study, nearly half of the participants had irregular heartbeats or significant sinus arrhythmia after the ride came to a stop.

One participant had an episode of atrial fibrillation, an irregularity in the heart's two upper chambers.

Emotional stress appeared to be a major contributing factor for the abnormalities.

For young, healthy people, the nerve-jangling ups and downs of a roller coaster is probably no problem. But people with high blood pressure, a previous heart attack, an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator, or other types of heart disease shouldn't take the risk, the study authors stated.

According to CNN, since "Mission Space" opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to a hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea. People with "high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness" as well as "expectant mothers" are warned off the ride, the network said.

The ride simulates a rocket blastoff and mission to Mars, CNN stated. The Disney Web site describes the experience as "out of this world."

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.asp?docID=529168

Just a note about sewn parts. Naturally, you should speak with your physician about it, but...

If you had a "simple" valve replacement (no more than the valve and maybe a touch-up on the root): unless you were told you have a severe connective tissue disorder and/or myxomatous tissue, you will not rip anything sewn inside.

We have had people wake up from surgery with the intestinal flu (vomiting), and standard cold/flu with severe coughs and sneezing. I don't believe that anything that won't do injury to normal tissue could rip any of your internal sewn parts after 60 days. Very doubtful you could do it even the day after surgery.

I would be more cautious if Dacron or velour is involved, a Bentall procedure was performed, or any type of aneurism repair was part of it.

Whether the sternum is ready is basically up to your genetic bone-healing makeup. Six weeks is enough for some. Others can take up to twelve.

As far as arrhythmias, as well as the issues covered above, you should make your decisions after consultation with your doctor.

I actually have read this artical and both myself and Andrew rode it pre second heart valve surgery. Neither of us had problems but of course that doesn't mean nothing could. I did ask andrew's cardio/ EP and she said she had no problem with him riding roller coasters as long as the harness doesn't hit his ICD.

Back