When Can You Travel?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerlily

My 13 year old son will be going on a school field trip to DC when I am 8 weeks post op. I would like to go since I feel I've been somewhat absent in his life due to the whole pre-surgery/post-surgery experience. On the other hand, school field trips can be grueling even when you are feeling great. Does this sound too soon to you folks? I don't want to push myself too hard and then regret it.

Thanks for your advice.

Everyone's different. However, if you have an "average" recovery, you would return to work at six weeks, which gives you a measuring stick.

Your sternum will be just healed or still finishing healing after eight weeks. That means there might be some concern for you if you're travelling in a school bus (no seat belts). But if you're in a car with other chaperones, that isn't so much of an issue.

It's best to judge your own progress, but the chances are you'll be fine to do it, although exhausted when you get home. At least at age 13, you won't have to pick them up and carry them when they get tired.

Best wishes,

This is a really tough question. I traveled to St. Thomas at 4 weeks post op from my second OHS to do some more recovering. I did very little but hang out by the beach and pool and go out to eat. I was exhausted by the end of each day.

The thing that concerns me is that a trip to DC requires a lot of walking which, in itself, is probably not an issue since it is part of your recovery. However, add to that looking after kids, dealing with some type of timetable or schedule, and you might find it is all too much.

If you can set it up so that there are enough other chaperones to enable you to return to the hotel should you wear out, then it would probably work out OK. If you are committed to being with the group the whole time, it might be tough.

Tiger
One other thing to consider - sounds like you are talking sometime in June for this DC trip. Usually (not always, but more often than not) DC is socked in with heat and humidity by that time. And like Gina said, you walk just about everywhere because anything worth seeing is on the Mall -- and you won't be driving your car to these places. So ... the heat and humidity will take its toll on you -- I would DEFINITELY plan on only doing half days, and when you get exhausted, hail a cab to get you back to your air-conditioned hotel room.
Der

I did my first traveling at about 11 weeks. A 1 hour plane ride, followed by driving for 6 hours, all in one day, by myself. I was exhausted after that!

DC is a pretty rough place to try out your "new" heart. I'm not sure if you've had surgery yet (couldn't find a date in your profile), but one thing that you'll find out post-surgery is that you don't get tired gradually. One minute, you'll feel OK, the next minute, you're done. When I say done, I mean that your legs will turn to jelly and you'll begin stumbling around. As a 28-year old marathoner, I had never experienced the fatigue and exhaustion that you feel when you over-exert yourself after surgery. At eight weeks, you should feel somewhat better, but you should be prepared to have to call a cab and abandon the group at any time.

Sounds like some cautionary stories. As stated, if it is in or near summer, DC heat can be overwhelming for anyone. If you are 8 weeks post-op it may not be the getaway for you.

I will be 4 weeks post-op and considering NYC this weekend. I am not so sure - I don't want a set back so now I am not so sure.

I scrolled down on post-op and saw your last post ..2 weeks ago and you said then..you were 2 weeks post-op making you 4 weeks now? How are you doing now? Most field trips are run on a tight schedule..Up and out of Hotel, Museums, lunch, ect. ...Do you have your son's Agenda?Both of my kids went to D.C. about the same age..(Field trip) and they were both exhausted when they came home.....How does your son feel about you going?At that age. (I have one)13 year old Grandson.....and I know, he would rather I stay home.:D Loves for me to come and watch him play his sports..but NO hugging in public.:p Just wait, until we are out of sight for those kisses, ect...so, if you are now, 4 weeks..must be sometime in May?Bonnie

Thanks everyone for the benefit of your experience and feedback. I'm sorry I didn't say that I'm 4 weeks post-op at this point and that I had an AVR and aortic root reduction. I don't know what I was thinking. Anyway, I'm sure my son would be just be fine if I stayed home at his age. It's more about my need to feel plugged in to my son's life. I would enjoy having a chance to observe from a distance how much these kids have changed in the past few months and maybe get a small feel for what they are about and how they relate to one another. I'm especially interested in my son's social connections. It seems my son, Kasen, turned into a teenager over night!

I'm seeing my surgeon this week and I will ask him for his advice. Also, I will try to get a class schedule and try to see how easy or hard it would be for me to bow out when needed. Thanks again.

Back