What's The Best Mech Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jkn2kids

I'm trying to get some kind of opinions from everyone regarding mechanical valves.I'm going to be having one put in and want to get the best possible valve.Is the St.Jude the best? Also,are there any websites that you can visit to get an idea about the types of valves?

I have a St. Jude mechanical mitral valve and it was put in in August 1981. This thing is over 24 years old, and it just keeps clicking and clicking and clicking. Linda

I've had my St. Jude mechanical aortic valve since July of '96 and it's been great.

Rich

St. Jude mitral - 14 years. St. Jude has been thought of as the Gold Standard for some time now. However, the On-X valve has been gaining in popularity lately because of aspirin studies.

For Longevity, nothing comes close to the St. Jude (standard) Mechanical Valve. It's been around for a LONG time and has been laboratory tested for more cycles than any of us are likely to see.

The new (third generation) mechanical valves (On-X, ATS, St. Jude Regent, Sorin, etc) have been designed taking fluid dynamics into consideration to reduce turbulence with a lower liklihood of producing clots.

There has been LOTS of interesting discussion on these new valves which you can find by clicking on the SEARCH tab at the top of this page and typing in the appropriate valve name as the keyword.

You can also find websites for the different valves by doing a normal (Google, etc) internet search or from links in the above cited discussions.

That should keep you busy reading for some time!

'AL Capshaw'

Depends...........

Depends...........

jkn2kids said:
I'm trying to get some kind of opinions from everyone regarding mechanical valves.I'm going to be having one put in and want to get the best possible valve.Is the St.Jude the best? Also,are there any websites that you can visit to get an idea about the types of valves?

.......what you mean by best- Many heart surgeons disagree!

Ross said:
I thought sure you'd of come off with "The one that keeps you alive"! :D
I'll go with that one, i would be happy to go along with whatever the surgeon choses, do you have to choose? or can you just be told. I dont think i could handle making a choice:confused: ?

jkn2kids said:

At Inova Fairfax they use only St. Jude. Mine is still fine after 7 years. The newer valves like the Regent are supposed to be even better.

Curtsmum said:
I'll go with that one, i would be happy to go along with whatever the surgeon choses, do you have to choose? or can you just be told. I dont think i could handle making a choice:confused: ?
You can ask for a specific, but if the surgeon has never used it, you might be out of luck unless you find one that has used it. St.Jude is the gold standard, but if you could, you might want to look into On-X.

I am a very conservative person so I generally lean towards the long-term proven valves. I have a St. Jude mitral that has been in for 11 1/2 years and doing very well. Much happier with it than my old Bjork-Shiley.

My husband has the ATS Mechanical aortic valve. That is what his surgeon at Emory uses. They have a website. use search for ATS Mechanical Aortic Valve. His INR is set at 2.0 to 3.0 with this valve. We are more comfortable with 2.2 to 3.5 so that is what we shoot for.

Curtsmum said:

When we asked Jim's surgeon's registrar, he said Jim would probably get a St Jude. Then the surgeon came in and said no, he'd be getting a Sorin valve - better performance than the St Jude. Jim's an engineer and all the talk of improved pressure gradients etc swung it for him. They're not used in the USA to my knowledge, but Paula, you may find Curtis' surgeon mentions it, or the On-X which Emma's daughter Chloe has. Probably has to do with the preference of whichever NHS trust, hospital or surgeon decides on valves in your area of the UK I'd think. Of course, if you do get offered a choice often the best thing to ask the surgeon is "which would you choose for yourself/your child?"

Sorin....

Sorin....

My husband had his aortic valve replaced in 9/2005 with a Carbomedics 29 mm and today was the first day I checked out the Carbomedics website. The Carbomedics are apparently made by the Sorin Company, and I do remember one of the other members telling me that the standard mechanical valves of Carbomedics and the International Sorin were similar--can someone clarify?

I have a ST Judes 25mm Aortic Valve. Its true the St Judes is the Gold Standard and the only one my surgeon will install. I have had it for 14 months and had no problems.

Natanni said:
My husband had his aortic valve replaced in 9/2005 with a Carbomedics 29 mm and today was the first day I checked out the Carbomedics website. The Carbomedics are apparently made by the Sorin Company, and I do remember one of the other members telling me that the standard mechanical valves of Carbomedics and the International Sorin were similar--can someone clarify?

Carbomedics and Sorin are both owned by the Sorin Group. They make their own valve ranges though. If you check out www.sorin-cid.com and follow the links to the Bicarbon range of valves you'll be able to compare them to the Carbomedics ones. I know one obvious difference is the curved leaflets on the Sorin valves, not sure if any others have that (from the quick glance I just had at the Carbomedics site, I don't think carbomedics valves do).

Haven't looked into the performance of Carbomedics valves, but I'd guess it's comparable to the other third generation valves as mentioned by Al previously.

ATS valve

ATS valve

I also have an ATS valve, surgeon's preference over St. Jude for my 9/7/05 aortic valve replacement surgery. I understand the same guy who designed the St. Jude valve also designed the ATS valve but with a few minor tweaks that cause it to be quieter and potentially have a lower risk for blood sticking to its leafelets (but this has not been proven).

The valve is really quiet, and the only downside i ever hear about the St. Jude is its clicking but I have never heard one the St. Jude valve personally.

On the other hand, the St. Jude valve has all the data and published studies behind it that you can hang your hat on. Last one I read was for 25 years of data.

I'm very happy with my ATS valve, and of course just happy to be alive and not leaking anymore :)

Patty

Ats?

Ats?

Patty, You and your surgeon may very well have settled on a superior mechanical valve. However my valve expert who has built valves and installed them since early 1970's says one cannot be sure until there are long term high quality studies demonstrating superiority, ie with cath data and a mean follow up of at least six years. That takes thousands of patients and lots of work to do it right. All new valves look good to the commercial interests but not all stand the test of time. So far, none recommend not using warfarin.

Latest posts

Back