What's in a name?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like being called a "kacky hander"

Leftie eh ? My dad is a southpaw, hes 76 and loves building stuff

I always help him out and he does everything the wrong way, his drill has the handle on leftie
he always sets out back to front, when we lift something heavy he always walks the opposite to me.

He says righties have it wrong and lefties have bigger brains, and are geniuses

He still has his drill set up wrong though the old duffer 😀

I always help him out and he does everything the wrong way, his drill has the handle on leftie
he always sets out back to front, when we lift something heavy he always walks the opposite to me.
this can be good for working in pairs when mirroring is best ... don't start me on old power drills with a "lock button" beside the trigger. Anyway, being an Ozzie I figga I'm upside down anyways ... give yer dad a Nod from me will ya :)

I write left handed but do everything else right handed, but can also work left handed mechanicing when in tight spaces.. work that out..

My father still thinks warfarin makes his blood thinner so it will go thru his valve, so in accurate but as said previous the way its generally described to patients so they comply.

I'll bet your dad used motor in his car or other engines.

For the purposes of 'understanding' what anticoagulants do (and why 'thinner' blood is better for people with mechanical valves than 'thick' blood), this model works.

The reason warfarin is referred to as a 'blood thinner' is because this is what early researchers thought was actually happening. And it's a description that sticks.

What irks me is when professionals, who should know better, address other professionals who should also know better, with this term (although, to ease my compulsive mind, it's likely that the all know it's inaccurate, but they all know what's actually going on, and it's a term that is very commonly used and accepted).

(Slightly off subject - many trade names are used as generics - Kleenex now refers to all 'facial tissues', Tampox refers to all Tampons, Xerox is a photocopy of any kind, and there are probably thousands of other words that were once trademarks (even if they don't end with X) that have become a generic name for what was once a trademarked product. (And Coumadin also belongs on this list))

Back