What type of jobs you guys got?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevstickle

Hope this isn't too inappropriate but what kind of jobs do you guys have?
See I'm 19 now and thinking about my future and all and am extremely curious about the job limitations having OHS may have. Right now my major is Biological Science and on path to graduating and seeing that most of you guys are older (more wiser):D, you'll all have a careers and more experience than me.
A big part of me wants to work in the medical field, next semester ill be slightly changing my course and start taking EMT courses, and maybe even paramedics course after . Even thinking about becoming a nurse. But another part of me is thinking about sticking to bio and do some researching job.
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to start this thread but thank you guys in advance.

A fair and reasonable question.

When I was younger my mum wanted to steer me towards jobs that were less labour intensive. I started in Biochemistry but moved into Electronics by the late 1980's . When that went belly up I ,moved over into software development.

Could just as easily do an electrical area again and am considering moving into auto electrics

Thanks for your input but yeah my mom did and is still doing the exact same thing to me. When I mentioned EMT she didn't respond too well but she's eazing up on it now. Biochemistry seems interesting and I looked into it a while back, not sure if I should stay with bio or go with a specific field in bio like bio chem or marine bio. Lots to think about. As for electrical engineering I'm not so sure because more than 80% of my friends are something engineer which makes it really competitive. Only engineerinf i could see myself doing would be computer engineering because I do love fiddling with computer like building them and solving problems they might have but it's more of a hobby.

Well mothers are by design protective of their kids. Its a good thing as far as the species goes but I get your issues with it.

Plenty of time to decide. I did a few career changes. Best to try things you like. I have no idea what EMT is, but really anything you want is fine. The days of cotton wool treatment is over. Steer her here to ask questions if you want. She may find she learns some helpful things from people who have gone through it all

Yeah been bringing up what job i might want to do for a while now. overall its my decision but parents input counts a lot to me.

Oh, in the states we call them EMT short for emergency medical technician which is pretty much, where I live is like a 20,000 pay grade difference from a paramedic which requires a bunch more training.

Job? No job anymore, retired now. But spent 40 years as a software engineer. Prior to that I was a machinist and technician. There is no restrictions on career choice, but unthinking employers might get squeamish about hiring someone with a medical history. It's best not to mention it at all on a job application or in any interview, although they will find out anyway because you sign away all privacy rights for the pre-employment physical. The only saving grace in that is they will have already decided you are worth hiring if you get that far.

Interesting. I started out wanting to be a pharmacist, back in the days when it was only a four year degree. That went by the wayside after the first year for various reasons. After the military and two years in the finance corp, I started in the computer industry almost by accident and ended up with almost 40 years in software development. After retiring I worked part-time as an office manager. I think where we start and end up is sometimes based on things that are sometimes out of our control. Just make sure you get the best education you can and life will proceed in its true direction.

There are very few limitations. The important decision is to enjoy what you do. We have a condition that has been "fixed", and with only a few exceptions, we can do most anything we aspire too. I know of one golfer on the PGA Tour who has had TWO Heart Transplantes.....WOW!! Remember, the surgery is to return you to a NORMAL life.

Hi I'm only 27 and had my first surgery at 22 and chose a bovine valve. Approximately 4 weeks post op I started graduate classes while working as a certified athletic trainer. If your not sure what that is if you watch football I'm the person that runs on the field when player is hurt. This is a very labor intensive job as I have to run on the fields when an athlete is injured,carry players off the field, the stress of not knowing what the injury is until I get on the field and having to stay calm so everyone else is calm even when its bad, also hot headed coaches in my face and long hours. I'm currently a stay at home mom and have been for almost 2 years. I had a rough pregnancy not heart related and how to stop working. I just had my valve replaced with a mechanical valve and I hope to someday go back to being an athletic trainer once my daughter is in school. As long as your cardiologist is okay with it then the only limitations are the ones we place on ourselves. I was always told i could never do sports or be active and i have proved everyone wrong. Good luck with whatever you choose as i know you will make the right decision for you.

Started out as an Industrial Engineer, moved into production management, then switched careers in my 40's to become a financial advisor.

I still remember the annual visit my cardiologist when I was in my teens: he advised me to stay in school and not to plan on a career digging ditches.

What I really wanted to do was become a naval officer and make the Navy a career, but the bicuspic aortic valve squashed those plans.

Mark

I just quit my amazing job as a marine engineer and moved back shore side to pick up where I left off in a film and television career. I do scenic carpentry, build props and do special effects mainly. Most of us needn't be limited by our 'conditions'. My jobs both pre and post surgery have all been hard physical work, long hours, dangerous tools and machinery and remote places. If you want a good indicator of your relative risk, consider that I have no trouble getting travel insurance which covers me for emergency medical, including emergencies related to my 'condition' in any country in the world but the US. (I could get it for the US too, but it is 4 or 5 times the price).

Why should you have any job restrictions?? Do whatever you want, and when you start showing symptoms that make it harder for you to do what you want, that's when you have the valve replaced. There is absolutely no need to have a desk job because you have a wonky valve and if you sit on your arse all day because you're afraid that being active will kill you, then you'll die of something related to inactivity. :)

My case is more complicated then most on here. I was born with tetralogy of fallot. I have had 4 OHS with the last one 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 44. I have had 2 pulmonary valve replacements. I have to have tissue because of the pulmonary valve. I do not have normal exercise tolerance, but I do very well considering.

I am a pediatric nurse. Up until 3 months ago I worked full time on a orthopedic and physical rehab unit. It was very labor intensive. I now work part time on a general pediatric floor. Much easier job. In July I will have been a nurse for 25 years. My mother did not want me to go into nursing for a long time because she did not think that I would have enough energy and I should not go into something that I would not be good at. She finally changed her mind.

Debbie

Thank you guys for the good advise and information. This all only helps me better understand my options although as many have pointed out is not limited, I get a better feel of the jobs people in similar positions as me have. You guys sure have a wide variety of jobs ( lots of engineers/ ex engineers. It was nice to see a few of the options I had in mind like athletic trainer and pediatric nursing which was something I might do after I graduate.

Please keep posting what types of jobs y'all have its very interesting to hear your stories and all Ye interesting careers you all have it allows me to explore my possible options.

On a side note I had a question about job interviews, do you guys tell them about your condition right away or wait for them to ind out afterwords? I had a bad experience once in a government youth job at my local rec and park. I have a disabled parking placecard that I use occasionally. I never mentioned that I was disabled to my boss but one day he was talking about only people with disabilities could park in the camp zone because a lot of the councilers and even he was parking there. So I asked him if I could park there, not that I really had to but it was just more convient because it was hard to find a good spot there. I'm guessing he thought I was rude and started getting mad. I then told him I'm really disabled though and he starts saying if I were really disabled he would fire me right away and stuff like that. I guess I WAS being a little rude seeing as there are actual people who are in need of the convince. But I remember there's a disability discriminations act where you sorta can't say something like that. It was what he said that offended me (I was 17) not the parking spot. But yeah do you guys disclose it right away or hide it till its relavent?

What did you do as a marine engineer, anything similar to a marine biologist? Or is it more like creating habitats or creating technology to preserve wildlife. Just guessing here haha seems interesting.

I never considered myself disabled! And I would bet there is hardly anyone on here who would think that either. If you ARE disabled from a heart valve problem, you should be having that sucker replaced, like, NOW.

I'm actually offended that you would consider people with heart valve problems to be disabled. Even when I was a few weeks post-op after nearly dying from endocarditis, and severely anemic and unable to walk 200m, I would never have thought I should have a disabled parking placard.

You haven't told us what your heart problem is - maybe I'm being harsh - but if you're like the great majority of us here, you're absolutely not disabled, you shouldn't be using a BAV as reason to demand a closer parking space, and you have no obligation to inform potential employers of your heart problem.

Kev

Your profile says you had mitral valve replacement when you were 5 years old. I don't see why that would affect your choice of careers or require handicapped parking. Perhaps you have other reasons. If you're taking Coumadin, avoid jobs like lumberjack, knife juggler, boxer and other carrers where you could get serioulsy hurt.

Seriously... you should choose your career based on what you find interesting. Many people do not figure it out by age 19 so don't worry.

I am sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intent i promise you. I only assumed that most of you guys owned a disability place card. I don't even know how i got mine, my parent i believe got it when i was extremely young and they continue to send me new ones as the previous one expires. I myself don't know much about my health history its all on a few pieces of papers, my parents didn't tell me much. But i know i take Lisinopril, Digoxin, and Coumadin. Extremely sorry if i offended you, I mainly here to get information because i don't know anyone at all with a similar condition.

No worries Kev, if you don't know much about what's wrong with you (or what WAS wrong with you cos it isn't wrong anymore!) then this is a good place to ask. Sounds like your parents aren't around to answer your questions?? Your current cardiologist should be able to tell you if you have any restrictions though, do you have one that you like and trust?

I am active duty military and in the National Guard. I have 23 years active service and have no intentions to retire mediccally or otherwise for at least a couple more years. I have had a great career in the Army and have had a very physical and active lifestyle. The demands of the job and position seem to grow every year and I do not see changes anytime soon. I am still taking annual physical fitness tests, just completed one as a matter of fact and just completed the Sergeants Major Academy at FT Bliss, TX. My physical fitness test included sit-ups, I did 66 in two miniutes and a two and half mile walk that I completed in 31:30. I am still working on my run and pushups. It may take me another 6 months or so but I have full intentions to complete both events!

Latest posts

Back