What time of day to take Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None whatsoever.

Change tomorrow if you like

The half life of warfarin is about 2 days, so basically you are just adding to a pool that remains. Shifting the time by 12 hours will not be significant.

:)

PS why does your last sentence have a ? At the end? It seems like a statement, so are you asking if its easier for you to remember at that time?

When I was discharged I asked my surgeon this. His thoughts were to take the warfarin before bed, instead of in the morning when I take my vitamins / omega-3 pill.
His resson to keep warfarin at night is that is will be processed through the liver on an empty stomach and with food / beverages being added, as if you took the warfarin in the morning.
He said by taking it at night it would be absorbed by the liver at a more consistent lelel, and would result in a more stable reading.

I'm going to try this for now and see what the blood clinic days after a few weeks.

Hi

RunMartin;n853382 said:
I have been taking my Warfarin in the morning for the past two weeks. I have just done a self test and there was no difference in my INR
That's the spirit :) test and see and then your confidence increases...

BTW when you say no difference, that's interesting. May I ask what sort of variance you get in your INR? Also could you PM me as i have a couple of questions (or email me at hotmail.com ... me is pellicle of course :)

Morning or night have been the best for me. If I travel overseas and time difference is 12 hours and I have to shift by 12, I shift over 3 days at 3-4 hours per day. Generally, I take my Warfarin nightly between 9pm and 12am. Daily shifts have not had any affect on my INR. I have verified by home testing.

Latest posts

Back