Quantcast

What factors enhance surgical outcome and recovery

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

elMIguel

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
I guess I'm trying to gird myself (and maybe boost my confidence) for my AVR surgery on 2/17.

I'm 55, I used to be very athletic (weights & rowing) up until my diagnosis of severe stenosis last month. Since, I've been walking at least 3 miles per day along with reading posts on this forum. I'm also watching videos and reading about people who have made it through the other side, dealt successfully with setbacks, and are now managing well. I also have done a ton or research on the procedure itself and picked a surgeon with a solid track record.

Anything else to be done?

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
VR.org Supporter
I guess I'm trying to gird myself (and maybe boost my confidence) for my AVR surgery on 2/17........
........Anything else to be done?
Sounds like you are doing what you need to do. Education is the key to living with AVR. I think you will find you can still "walk and chew gum at the same time". Mostly everything I've worried about over the years never came true.....and now I'm looking at things most OLD people will go thru.....and my old valve is not one of them.

Brokenhip

Being as fit as possible going into surgery will assist greatly for your recovery, so keep up the walking. Motivation for recovery & rehab is also important. I was cycling about 200 kms a week leading up to surgery & back cycling on the road after 10 weeks, at age 68yrs. You will be fine.

elMIguel

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
So last night after supper my heart started racing up to 140 bpm. After being unable to get it to come down with relaxed breathing or an extra metoprolol I had my wife drive me to the ER. I’ve got a fib. I’ve been here for 8 hours with an IV drip to try to get me to convert on my own . No luck so far.

I’m scheduled for AVR next week and have been coming round to accepting it and feeling more confident but this is discouraging. Is this what I have to look forward to- constant trips to the ER? Will AVR help with a fib, make it worse, or neither? Does it put me at more risk for the surgery? Is aortic stenosis even related to this?
I’m really trying hard to stay positive.

Superman

A Fib can be part of it, but to ask, “Is this what I have to look forward to?”. Like daily? Weekly? No. I’m 48. I’ve been cardioverted twice in my life. Most have never been. Both times I was heavier and less active than I am now. Mileage varies.

That said, some members here do end up with pacemakers. They can tell you about life with that. But some end up with pacemakers with no valve issues. Sometimes it’s just age. Does no good to assign blame to something we have no control over.

elMIguel

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Thanks Superman. I’m guessing that I will be cardioverted once the cardiologist makes rounds. This is my second episode, the first before bf in December 2020 which lead to my diagnosis. I was hoping the valve replacement would “fix” all of this but it may be more complicated than I’d hoped.

Daniel758

So last night after supper my heart started racing up to 140 bpm. After being unable to get it to come down with relaxed breathing or an extra metoprolol I had my wife drive me to the ER. I’ve got a fib. I’ve been here for 8 hours with an IV drip to try to get me to convert on my own . No luck so far.

I’m scheduled for AVR next week and have been coming round to accepting it and feeling more confident but this is discouraging. Is this what I have to look forward to- constant trips to the ER? Will AVR help with a fib, make it worse, or neither? Does it put me at more risk for the surgery? Is aortic stenosis even related to this?
I’m really trying hard to stay positive.
elMiguel,

Before my AVR and aneurysm repair in April, 2018, I had daily bouts of Afib after eating that would last about an hour. It was debilitating and I hated eating knowing what was to come.

In nearly 3 years after surgery, I’ve had 1 episode of Afib around a month and a half after surgery that lasted around 2-3 hours and corrected on it’s own. And it did not happen after eating.

So, yeah, surgery for me did correct Afib I suffered after meals.

Fingers crossed that surgery will do the same for you.

elMIguel

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
That’s great to hear Daniel. I hope I can follow your lead! I’ve had 2 bouts and both have come shortly after eating (only supper but not breakfast or lunch, oddly enough...not that I’m complaining about that ;-)

tom in MO

I don't know anybody with an artificial valve but me. I know 3 people with Afib all of whom have it under control. Don't worry, it will work out.

elMIguel

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Thanks Tom.
I have been converted without cardioverson. I’m supposed to get discharged in 2 hours. They added amiodarone to help me avoid a reoccurrence until my surgery next week. It’s been a long past 18 hours.

Latest posts