What are the differences in Home Testing Devices?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

Hi Everyone,

I've been using my Protime - the 3 channel kind - for many years. I can't tell you how many times I've had to redo tests. I would estimate that I've screwed up at least 1/3 of my tests over the years. I've never found it easy to use for some reason, but when I do it right, it's always on target. The error message is usually a "bubble" problem. The new machines seem lots smaller and look to be easier to use. Can someone please tell me what the differences are among the 3? I also read something in a previous post about using a lance that is 21 or 26 gauge - what's that all about?

My insurance wouldn't cover my first Protime and they won't cover a new one either. They won't even pay for my test strips. Did anyone else have to pay for their units out-of-pocket and if so, who has the best price for the units and also the strips?

Thank you for your help.

Sharon Feldman
AVR St Jude's 4/1997
Rochester General Hospital, Rochester, NY

Sharon I'm no fan of the Protime unit. It seems to yield the most error results of all of the 3 offered. I'll take the INRato of Coaguchek any day over it. As for this forum, I can only say that we back those approved by the manufactures. but that doesn't mean you cannot look for a better price elsewhere.

The INRatio and Coaguchek take far less samples to get results, they are a whole lot smaller, just better all the way around.

Your used to using the tenderlett slicer device. With these other two, you could continue to use them, but it's cheaper to get regular lancets, which come in different size needles. I prefer 30 gauge myself, but many people cannot get an ample drop of blood using it, so most people use 21 or 26 gauge lancets.

Paying for it?

Paying for it?

Hi Sharon,

I use an INRatio monitor. My insurance company didn't want to pay for my monitor. It preferred paying the $75.00 a week my hospital charged for weekly blood draws and lab work.

Ultimately, I purchased my own monitor and then fought my insurance company for over six months to get reimbursement. Eventually, the company paid.

My company still refuses to pay for test strips. It's frustrating, but there's not much I can do about it. Sometime ago, I actually offered to attend a board of directors meeting to pitch my case to get the company to pay. I was prepared to go to the meeting, but was informed via a telephone call that the directors weren't interested in listening to me.

I've little to compare my INRatio with as it's the only monitor I've used. It works really well for me. It sure beats the heck out of dealing with incompetent lab techs and the sharp objects they use.

-Philip

Philip to bad you can't just tell them to shove it and find another insurer. I hate this monopoly they have on us.

Hi Ross, Bina and Phillip,
Thank you for the help. With my old protime I turn the machine on and watch for the prompts and then insert the cuvette test strip. Then I use this gadget that pricks the finger. After wiping away the first drop of blood, I have to get a few drops of blood into this tiny opening on the other end of the "pricker gadget". I have to get the blood into the opening within a certain time, and then place it in the machine where the cuvette draws out the blood. When putting the blood into the opening of the "pricker gadget" if it goes in wrong then there are air bubbles and the test can't be completed. If it takes too long for your blood to drip out then you'll get an error for that too. I've had other errors too but the bubble is the most common. The "Pricker gadget" has a name, but I can't remember it. So when you use your machine how does it work? Does the coagucheck and the INRatio both work the same?
Sharon

I have a Protime unit here also. The finger thingies are tenderlets that actually slice your finger rather then poke like a lancet. I was never able to get a good test. Always air bubble errors. You don't run into that with the other units and it takes a miniscule amount of blood (1 drop) to run the tests, instead of 3 good sized drops for the Protime unit.

The Coaguchek test stripes come with a calibration chip to install with a new batch of test strips. The INRatio requires only putting in the proper code of the test strip, but other then that, they operate the same.

http://www.poc.roche.com/coaguchek/rewrite/generalContent/en_PT/article/POC_general_article_147.htm

http://www.hemosense.com/home/index.shtml

Just wanted to pop in here and say hello to you Sharon. I remember you from moons ago..! I have the CoaguChek XS and really like it. It's nice to be old enough for Medicare and get on that program, but you're probably way too young..;-)

Can someone please tell me what the differences are among the 3? I also read something in a previous post about using a lance that is 21 or 26 gauge - what's that all about?
who has the best price for the units and also the strips?

I have the INRatio2, from what I hear the new CoaguChek is about the same. The INRatio2 seems fool proof.
I prefer the 21 gauge, seems to get a better sample.
Can't help you with price of test strips, Medicare is paying for mine.

Sharon:

I have an INRatio that I got through QAS 2 years ago, and it replaced my ProTime 3. I wanted a smaller unit, with a replaceable batter, and with fewer error messages (hated those bubble errors!).
I bought the INRatio out of pocket, which shaved $1,000 off the purchase price, and submitted a claim to Aetna, which refunded me about 40% of the purchase price. I buy my own strips online and shop for the best deals.

I haven't dealt with QAS in quite some time and it has acquired a new name. Here's a link:

http://www.coagnow.com/

Their service may be based on you calling in INR results, which are in turn relayed to your PCP/cardio/whoever, etc. Some people are fine with that. Too many middlemen for my comfort zone, and I haven't had any problems in the last 6+ years of home-testing. My doctor lets me adjust my own dosage and I record my results in a diary.

However, you are free to look around this universe. :))) I'm sure you can find a provider who will sell you an INRatio or Coaguchek out of pocket.

I'm very happy with mine.

Last edited:
Back