Weird feelings in chest

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinsley99

Hi guys

I had my valve replacement surgery in October in 2019. I’m still getting off feeling with movements or just sometimes sitting there and it’s really freaking me out and I’m getting really bad anxiety about it and not even wanting to do anything. I’m lucky I’m on furlough because I’m a tree surgeon and it’s really hard some days. But now in my mind I’m worried about hurting myself further!
So had anyone here still getting odd feeling down the middle? I told my cardiologist and he said the bone is healed very nice so I dunno what to think

There is the bone and there is the cartilage.

It's very serious if the bone is not healed, it's uncomfortable but common the cartilage takes much longer.

If there is no pain then it's just one of those things that will take time

Mine clunked for years

I’ve found studies about persistent pain after open heart surgery, here’s one: Many Patients Have Pain After Heart Surgery, Study Finds - MedicineNet

If you continue to be worried or the pain continues talk to your cardiologist about it again.

My cardiologist arranged an MRI of my sternum two years ago because of some pain I was still getting. Other than a problem with the left sternoclavicular joint at top of sternum, it was fine but I still get some discomfort alongside my sternum, now seven years after surgery. It is sure to be cartilage/rib related - when I breathe in there is definite discomfort and if I get a fit of coughing (I have a respiratory condition) then definite pain.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I had my valve replacement surgery in October in 2019. I’m still getting off feeling with movements or just sometimes sitting there and it’s really freaking me out and I’m getting really bad anxiety about it and not even wanting to do anything. I’m lucky I’m on furlough because I’m a tree surgeon and it’s really hard some days. But now in my mind I’m worried about hurting myself further!
So had anyone here still getting odd feeling down the middle? I told my cardiologist and he said the bone is healed very nice so I dunno what to think

I felt weird things in my chest for a few years after surgery but no longer. I sit at a desk w/o a highly active life, thus if I were a tree surgeon it would probably have been more prevalent. It usually went a way quickly and I didn't worry about it. You might want to ask your surgeon through their nurse what they would recommend. My surgeon took a post-surgery Xray to make sure all was well but that was a month or so after surgery.

There is the bone and there is the cartilage.

It's very serious if the bone is not healed, it's uncomfortable but common the cartilage takes much longer.

If there is no pain then it's just one of those things that will take time

Mine clunked for years
So after all this time it can still hurt to sneeze it wasn’t for ages and all of a sudden is a quite a lot

I think it might be sorry about the long reply would be good if there was an app for this!

I’ve found studies about persistent pain after open heart surgery, here’s one: Many Patients Have Pain After Heart Surgery, Study Finds - MedicineNet

If you continue to be worried or the pain continues talk to your cardiologist about it again.

My cardiologist arranged an MRI of my sternum two years ago because of some pain I was still getting. Other than a problem with the left sternoclavicular joint at top of sternum, it was fine but I still get some discomfort alongside my sternum, now seven years after surgery. It is sure to be cartilage/rib related - when I breathe in there is definite discomfort and if I get a fit of coughing (I have a respiratory condition) then definite pain.
So is it going to be like that for the rest of your life? Does it ever hurt if you get up quickly from laying down certain ways also?

God how horrble..How do you relieve the pain especially if on Warfarin and can't take aspirin or ibroprofin and tylenol does not help ?

Back