Weight Loss After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weight Loss

Weight Loss

When I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis two years ago, I promptly became a couch potato for fear of overexerting...which led to a weight gain of 30 pounds! I'm looking forward to a little enforced weight loss! Heck of a way to do it, but whatever works!
I'm learning more and more on this forum. Every time I sign on, I learn something new. Thanks to you all! Barbara (Sam's Mimi) By the way, Sam (Samantha) is my beautiful, precious, brilliant 11 year old grandaughter. The light of my life, along with her mom, Sharon. They're looking forward to taking care of me after my surgery. Thank you, God.

My first meal after surgery was, believe it or not, spaghetti and meatballs!!

Mimi, you WILL lose weight after surgery - we all do (well, most of us), but if you don't work to keep it off, it will come back. But you will become active again and your lifestyle sounds like you won't have to work much. You won't be a couch potato much longer. God bless

hungry pills

hungry pills

Okay Gina..... I didn?t mean to imply that they were trying to feed me solids the very first day. :) It was at least three days after the surgery. The first day I was in ICU.... I didn?t eat anything, the second day I think I might have had some jello.... it was probably the third or fourth day, I asked what this particular pill did for me and she said it was to help make me hungry. I had no appetite what so ever.

I wanted out of that place in a very big way..... I started making myself eat. Enough to make my surgeon dude happy anyway.

It was temporary... my appetite slowly returned to normal. The weight returned soon enough too. I?m back to about the same weight I was before the surgery, but it?s a lot more muscle now..... thanks to 45 mins arobics three days a week.

My brother-in-law had a heart attack last week and was flown to Denver. He's scheduled for bypass surgery Monday morning. I might have to drag him along to Vegas. :eek: He's a really funny guy.

Rain

After all of Joe's surgeries, the nurses listened for "bowel" sounds, and if none were heard, they gave him pills to improve bowel motility. These were in addition to the colace that was given for softening, well, you know what.

The anesthesia stops the motion of the bowel and the motility pills help to start it again, I guess.

Maybe that's what they meant by hungry pills. Can't eat if you're too full. LOL

Robthatsme

Robthatsme

What kind of surgery did you have and what kind of limits(weightlifting) did your doctor put on you?

hungry pills

hungry pills

Hey Nancy,

That makes sense! The surgeon came in every morning, he always listened to my stomach. He said they were ?waiting for my stomach to wake up from the anesthesia?. It was the nurse who told me the pills were ?to make me hungry? I don?t remember what they were called.

Hey Gary.... I?m not Robthatshim... but I do lift weights. I had MVR at age 39. I started cardiac rehab at four weeks post op. At approx. ten months post op I told the nurse I wanted to start lifting weights. It seemed like my arms were weak.... The nurse called my cardio.... and he said okay. Of course I started out with very light weights. They are still light weights. lol

I bet you could ask your cardio right now, at what point you could start lifting again and he would be able to give you at least some idea.

Rain

Weightloss?????

Weightloss?????

I had the appetite like a PIG when I got out of the hospital. I just couldn't bring myself to eat that yukky hospital food! I weigh 110, I have actually gained weight! I used to weigh 89 pounds when i got married. Yup, I feel better too! Maybe It's because I learned how to cook?
Hmmmm.......:D

Rain

Rain

Keep it Rain eat lots of fish -chicken and veggies-and invest in a juicer!!!

I weigh in at around 180-175, depending on what I have been eating, and was hoping I would loose some pounds with this surgery. I did with the previous ones, boy I packed em on. I was hoping to knock back all that recuperative Ice Cream and just have it all melt away. No such luck for me... I have now battled back down to 175, and could lose a few more. Turkey Day looms though, so maybe I'll wait to til new years.

Sam

AVR, (St. Judes) Mitral repair. 2/2000

The battle of the bulge

The battle of the bulge

Hello everyone!
I've struggled for the last two years with the weight thing...since I became such a couch potato for fear of overworking my heart. Tried every diet known to mankind. Hit upon the tried and true Weight Watchers' program and succeded in losing 14 pounds...but it took 3 months to do it!
Just the other day, my brain said..."Hey girl...you're fixin' to have heart surgery! You may not even survive that so have a ball and eat what you want!"

And I have, for the past 2 weeks. I've gained about 2 pounds, but it's been worth it. When(if) I come out of this surgery alive, down the road I'll be able to walk those extra calories off and it'll be wonderful again!

I'm so looking forward to feeling normal again, and rejoining my health club, walking around the neighborhood, and playing fetch with my dog!

Y'all are all so great and supportive. I don't always chime in on posts, mainly because I'm such a new-comer and don't have much to offer yet.

I can't tell you how much I've gotten out of this wonderful group of people. You are all so inspiring...I'm not used to being able to reach out and find such support. Thank you all, and please pray for me this Thursday!

I'm petrified! Mostly I'm dealing with it OK. I'm not afraid of dying...it's the pain if I live through it that has me scared. But, Hey! If y'all can do it... I can do it!!!

I may have my sister post about my condition, if y'all are interested. She'll need something to keep her busy while baby-sitting me.

Later..Barbara (mimi314)

Best of luck Barbara. The pain is controlled by great drugs. Enjoy the ride. Welcome to the club.

Janie-

Your post brought something to mind that I forgot to mention regarding showering.

I bought a fold-up plastic chair which was waterproof and relatively small, but strudy enough for adult use. Joe used after surgery in the shower to have something to hold on to, and to be there if he wanted to sit down.

Also there is a waterless shampoo available, probably in the surgical supply type of pharmacies. It's works reasonably well for the time in the hospital. Just wet you head down with it rub it in and towel it off. Helps with freshening up.

listen up!!

listen up!!

Hey Barbara!! Listen up Girl!!:eek:
NO_ONE could be more scared than I was..I am 70, Diabetic, Obese and was haveing both Triple bypass, Avr and possibly MVR (thank goodness that didn't happen) I wasn't so much afraid of pain..I was just plain scared of dying..I figured if I felt pain..then I would know I made it and was alive!! I am no hero when it comes to pain..in fact I'm chicken to go to the dentist!! I did have my last child "natural childbirth" so maybe I'm braver than I though..LOL! Let me tell Y'all..while the surgery is no peice of cake by any means and there were a few moments..for the most part it was pain free!! I certainly was uncomfortable..but rarely did I have "pain" They give you plenty of "good stuff" to keep you comfortable. I had a lung collaspe on the 2nd day post op..and they had to insert a chest tube..they gave me som of the "good stuff" and I never felt a thing. So eat up and enjoy!! I have ;ost 20 pounds in the last 41/2 weeks..The damm meds make everything taste awfful for me..I have forgotten the wonderful taste of food. I'm afraid it is only temporary..can you imagine a brownie or ice cream tasting bad? I never thought that could happen!! I hope I lose a lot more before it all comes back!!
I also became a couch potato before surgery for about 11/2 years as I became more and more symptomatic and walking became a big time problem..so I will start rehab in about 10 days and it will take me some time to get into shape..but whatever shape I become..I'm sure it will be better than before surgery:eek: So be assured..you WILL do fine..if I could do it..anyone can
:eek:
Joan

Maxximom

Maxximom

You have most certainly have come a long way. Way to go!. Inspirational to the rest. You are my hero with a triple bypass. You are doing great and keep it up. I just went back to work last week. My chest still gets stiff and have to get up and slowly stretch to make it feel better. You keep hanging in there. I have only lost 15 pounds so far. I will keep on trying. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Caroline
Aortic valve replacement
09-13-01
St. Jude's vavle

Latest posts

Back