Weight Loss After Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seabush

Has anyone experienced weight loss after surgery? When did your appetite return? When should you be concerned about that weight loss?

Thanks

Crystal

My husband Joe went from a robust and in shape 210 pounds to 175 and he also lost massive amount of muscle tone. He lost some of that weight prior to surgery (July 18), due to CHF which robbed him of his appetite, and some after surgery due to post-op "no appetite". I have been dilligently pumping him full of high protein meals and as much as he can eat. He's back up to about 182 now and his muscle tone is starting to return, because he is using his home gym and treadmill.

I think loss of appetite is par for the course and will improve with time.

But please remember that good nutrition is very much needed by the body to recuperate, because the body uses a lot of energy to rebuild. If the body doesn't get enough, then it starts to use it's own reserves.

Whatever it takes to get the patient to eat heathfully is the important thing.

I went from 194 to 177 after surgery but am now back at 194 but it did not all return in the same place. As I can no longer lift the heavy weights in the gym, I too have lost some muscle mass. I think I replaced them with some love handles.

My GP also had open heart surgery and called the house to check on me and said that during the healing process for surgery of this nature, your body burns about 5000 calories a day and we just don't eat that much, hence the weight loss.

I found that the healing process kept me hot so I just wanted to eat cold stuff. A friend brought over a large tub of fruit salad and I ate it all in about 3 days. Good stuff and really hit the spot.

I lost 24 pounds within 10 days, but gained 12 back by the time I hit three weeks post-op.

It's perfectly normal to experience some pretty bizarre fluctuations for the first month or so.

They worry if you suddenly gain several pounds over the course of a day or two within the first few days after surgery, but loss is normal.

I found I had to eat smaller meals for the first few weeks. Part of me was fooling myself because I thought "Hey, this is great, I'm full and I am only eating half of what I normally do. I am going to have the tight hard body of a 21 year old"...... sadly, it didn't work out that way ;)
Kev

I am in the situation of losing weight. I am slowly getting my appatite back. I still eat small meals, only three times a day. But I do nibble a little in between. But I am careful because I have to take it easy on the sodium intake and on two types od water pills. I have lost 15 pounds of water weight. I hope to never be 260 pounds ever again. I hope to go back to work soon. Had surgery 9-13-01 and doing quite well. You will be alright and get your appatite back soon. Just give it time. I can't stand a lot of salt right now and hope to keep it that way.

Crystal,

So how is Lillian doing. I haven't seen any recent posts. Please say hi for me. I didn't lose any weight, but remember how bad food tasted. It seems my taste buds were bad for 2-3 weeks.

Lillian Update

Lillian Update

My mother is doing okay. She tires easily and takes frequent naps. She has very little appetite. She's lost about 14 lbs since her surgery. Her breathing is still a problem. The doctor doesn't seem to be concerned about either as he says shortness of breath and loss of appetite are common in this type of surgery and lessen in time. She's a little overwhelmed with the aftereffects of surgery. She didn't anticipate having so many problems and questions having the procedure because she feels worse now than she did before. The doctors tell us she didn't get to this condition overnight and it will take time for her to recover from it. Stay tuned.

Crystal

I lost about 10-12 pounds after surgery, and I'm no heavy weight to begin with. Like everyone else, I had little appetite, and it gradually is coming back. I read somewhere, moreover, (maybe here on vr.com!) that the body's healing process itself takes about 5000 calories a day, which we definitely don't consume in early weeks post-surgery, so it's little wonder that it takes a while to round the bend!

Peter

Duh! I read the bit about 5000 calories right here above. :rolleyes: Three cheers for redundancy!

hi everyone!
thought i'd give you all a little laugh.... i knew joey was getting back to normal m=based on how his appetite was. joey is a thin man who can put away a tremendous amount of food. most people can't believe how much food this man can consume!
in any case, he is not quite back to his standard potions (he is now only eating portions twice the size of mine!). despite this fact, joey has been losing weight consistently. he has already lost about 13 lbs in just 3 1/2 weeks! musch of it was fluid weight, but i can see where the 5000 calorie thing fits in!

may you all keep doing well! God bless,
sylvia

Peter Update

Peter Update

Peter Easton said:
Duh! I read the bit about 5000 calories right here above. :rolleyes: Three cheers for redundancy!

Peter,

Your surgery was done a few weeks before my mother's. How are you doing?

Crystal

Hi Crystal --

Hope your Mom is feeling stronger every day! I'm doing pretty doggone good, knock on wood. I've gone back to work part-time this week, was able to start driving again a few days ago and will be traveling a bit this weekend (by air, lol) to a short meeting in Baltimore and then to briefly visit my own Mother -- going on 93 post-heart surgery! -- north of Phillie.

Most of my symptoms have receded noticeably. My sternum is a bit sore (mostly with movement), as are portions of the scar. I seem alas to be forming a keloid scar, though to date only at the bottom of the incision, above the "exclamation point." My sleeping has gotten more regular, though it still is a bit erratic. I think I will move back to my bed and bedroom from the (wonderful) recliner that I have been occupying at night next week. My appetite is working its way up, but I haven't yet gained back much of the 10-12 pounds I lost -- and folks say I look a bit "gaunt" poundage-wise but healthy color-wise.

The periodic post-op depression seems likewise to be lifting. It will bear watching. Thankfully we are moving into a lovely season here in north Florida -- sunny and low humidity and cool, by our standards (daytime temperatures plunging into the upper 70s!). Have been benefiting to maintain a real walking schedule. I went by increments from a hundred yards or so of "shuffliing" up to (currently) about 2.5-3 miles a day at a decent pace.

Progression so far has been a sawtooth affair -- two steps forward, one back, and so forth -- and I imagine it will continue to be. But I am very thankful to have gotten to this point. I have been weighing the question of official cardiac rehab for myself and have pretty much decided against it, as it seems more targeted at bypass patients with heavier health concerns than I presently have and the cardios whom I have consulted feel I can accomplish the same thing through the kind of exercise I am undertaking. I will probably get into a routine at a Health Club where aspects of my recovery and condition can be monitored and coached, though, in another few weeks -- vamos a ver.

Hope this gives you some idea!

Peter

Hi Crystal,

I went from 174 to 151 within 2 days of surgery. I only had 7.8% body fat at the time, so I lost mostly muscle. I figure the body took what ever resources it had in order to maintain itself and survive. Although the pounds I lost were not the kind of pounds that I wanted to lose, It sure beats the alternative that I was facing.

I have gained all my weight back,(within 10 months), and now weigh 171 lbs. I must admit the percent body fat ratio has changed, but I attribute that to my doctors orders putting limits on my weight lifting.

Wishing you good health,

Rob

Think we all lost weight. Mine came back and brought some friends.

Seabush, your mom will get better with time. According to the diary I kept for a month after surgery, there were naps, short walks, weight loss, tiredness, shortness of breath, weakness, pain, despair, odd sleeping patterns, discomfort in finding a comfortable position, med adjustments. All passed eventually and found a new life. She will, too - at least better than the one she had. Ask her to have patience - and then some more.

God bless

Amen Hensylee!

I've lost 60 lbs. since my surgery.... mostly fluid. I had no appetite at all after my heart surgery or after my mastecomy in May. After that one all I ate was watermelon for two weeks straight. All that watermelon + 160 mgs. of Lasix = You spend a lot of time in the bathroom!!! lol

Your mom will slowly get back to her old fightin' weight Seabrush... just give her time to heal.

Take care,
Zazzy

222-210 in 9 Days...

222-210 in 9 Days...

Kevin has gone from 222 to 210 in 9 days post surgery. Of course, he is LOVING it. We were both trying to lose the " love handles" before the surgery was scheduled. He he! I'm still working on mine. I would rather lose it slower than have to experience what he did. Yikes! Oik!

Good Luck to you! :)

Hungry Pills

Hungry Pills

Did they give any of you guys 'hungry pills'?

As soon as I got out of ICU I started asking them what everything was that they put in my IV and pills they wanted me to swallow...... One of the pills was to make me hungry! I stopped taking it right away... but did force myself to eat. Who knew they had a pill to make you hungry??... Kinda freaked me out... but the nurse said it was ?normal? to give heart surgery patients.. ?hungry pills?!

Rain

Re: Hungry Pills

Re: Hungry Pills

Rain said:
Did they give any of you guys 'hungry pills'?

As soon as I got out of ICU I started asking them what everything was that they put in my IV and pills they wanted me to swallow...... One of the pills was to make me hungry! I stopped taking it right away... but did force myself to eat. Who knew they had a pill to make you hungry??... Kinda freaked me out... but the nurse said it was ?normal? to give heart surgery patients.. ?hungry pills?!

Rain

They never gave my mother anything like that.

Crystal

Hungry Pills

Hungry Pills

Crystal.... coulda just been me. I?m kind of a picky eater, I guess. I don?t like most meat.... and I wasn?t real impressed with the hospital bread and vegetables. Probably my sweetheart surgeons way of ?force feeding? me. Gotta watch those doctors. :) I really wasn't hungry at all after the surgery. It was at least a two or three weeks after the surgery, before I was eating because I wanted to.

Rain

Hungry Pills

Hungry Pills

Rain....

That's a new one one me. Don't recall eating solids for at least 2-3 days after my MVR.

When I went back in with my complications.....was starving immediately upon waking. Had not eaten for 5 days with the tamponade. Could not keep anything down.

Since they had to put me under again....could not eat after surgery. My neighbor was my CICU nurse and they ordered streak sandwiches. Man, I felt like jumping out of bed and grabbing one, LOL.:D

Latest posts

Back