Weight lifting with valve and aneurysm replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess a little update is in its place.
I first and foremost am very thankful for all the input and comments you lads and ladies has come with, even though it varies alot
its reassuring to know, I'm not alone with this (even though it feels like it at times ). now I'd like to say that I got a proper talk with the cardiologist.
but alas I have to wait til September.. so for training i did get a thing, I have to follow called the Borg scale, which is neat. Though it is limiting, i currently have removed vig compound lift such as squats and deadlifts til further notice in September. I also have been following the Borg guideline thingy and doing overload progression with 15-20 reps and only adding weight when I can do 20. , And breathing normallyish. It's hard to I've grown to enjoy it. Now for inr i have finished AND am now doing to myself 😊
I'm sorry for the long time between this reply but I've had alot happening as of late (also starting work again the 13th) again thanks everyone for your replies and lovely messages. Froller
Also @TheGymGuy IL check your post later as it caught my interest

So I guess a little update is in its place.
I first and foremost am very thankful for all the input and comments you lads and ladies has come with, even though it varies alot
its reassuring to know, I'm not alone with this (even though it feels like it at times ). now I'd like to say that I got a proper talk with the cardiologist.
but alas I have to wait til September.. so for training i did get a thing, I have to follow called the Borg scale, which is neat. Though it is limiting, i currently have removed vig compound lift such as squats and deadlifts til further notice in September. I also have been following the Borg guideline thingy and doing overload progression with 15-20 reps and only adding weight when I can do 20. , And breathing normallyish. It's hard to I've grown to enjoy it. Now for inr i have finished AND am now doing to myself 😊
I'm sorry for the long time between this reply but I've had alot happening as of late (also starting work again the 13th) again thanks everyone for your replies and lovely messages. Froller
Also @TheGymGuy IL check your post later as it caught my interest

Glad you’ve endeavored to keep up with the training - I’ve recently decided to starting lifting again after my aneurysm fix and whilst the light weights aren’t ideal, I’ve realized after a bit of research over the last few weeks you can still build muscle by lifting light. Your situation seems almost identical to mine, so it’s nice to read that I’m not the only one - great to see others on this thread continuing to lift post surgery too!

My doc told me that it’s the sudden rise in BP that’s the problem, as this can put undue stress on the grafts we’ve got. I’m doing the same as you: 15-20 rep sets, breathing fluently while lifting and definitely no valsalva. Hope your training goes well bud 👍

I had a mechanical valve replacement without any other issues (no aneurysm etc) so I don’t know how transferable my experience is. I’ve made a conscious effort to limit max weight lifts and for the most part train at 12 reps and then pyramid down to 4 or so. I’m still hitting 405 squats and 275 bench etc. but I do so rarely and try to limit any valsalva / intense effort.

That said, I’m confident you can build significant mass over time with a 12 rep scheme, but you need to nail your diet and training consistency. Id think of those as the variables you can tweak hard since your weight progression will be more muted than it may otherwise be. You won’t be a real mass monster without juicing or great genetics anyway, but you can definitely have a good lifter aesthetic, and that’s more conventionally attractive anyway (although I too yearn for 21” arms 🥲).

As an aside, I have a hard time understanding how it’s different to hit a set of 12 where the 12th rep is near failure vs hitting 6 where the 6th is near failure. You’re near max effort in either case aren’t you?

FWIW We’ve done stress tests and no issues after HR as high as 160. If anything I’m worried about the thrombogenesis issue w the valve post exercise after my time on this forum and this seems more related to any exercise induced HR increase not specific to lifting.

I had a mechanical valve replacement without any other issues (no aneurysm etc) so I don’t know how transferable my experience is. I’ve made a conscious effort to limit max weight lifts and for the most part train at 12 reps and then pyramid down to 4 or so. I’m still hitting 405 squats and 275 bench etc. but I do so rarely and try to limit any valsalva / intense effort.

That said, I’m confident you can build significant mass over time with a 12 rep scheme, but you need to nail your diet and training consistency. Id think of those as the variables you can tweak hard since your weight progression will be more muted than it may otherwise be. You won’t be a real mass monster without juicing or great genetics anyway, but you can definitely have a good lifter aesthetic, and that’s more conventionally attractive anyway (although I too yearn for 21” arms 🥲).

As an aside, I have a hard time understanding how it’s different to hit a set of 12 where the 12th rep is near failure vs hitting 6 where the 6th is near failure. You’re near max effort in either case aren’t you?

FWIW We’ve done stress tests and no issues after HR as high as 160. If anything I’m worried about the thrombogenesis issue w the valve post exercise after my time on this forum and this seems more related to any exercise induced HR increase not specific to lifting.

I’m no doctor, but I *think* the difference is down to the way the failure point is reached rather than the actual failure itself.

Going for a 1RP will cause a sudden, huge rise in BP, or going from 0-100, so to speak.

Reaching failure on your 20th rep means that you’ve had a much more gradual, slower increase in BP. Also I think you’re reaching failure because of metabolic stress and your muscles fatiguing due to the higher repetitions rather than than because you’re trying lift an extremely heavy weight and straining excessively to lift it.

So I'm definitely going to get better, been slacking with the breathing as I've been adding weights fast over the last month. So decided with my old lady that we're going down in weight to practice the breathing.
Do got a question though, as higher reps are mske you more fatigued, should i change my current regiment?
Here it is:
Lower mon/Thur
Leg extensions x3
Leg press x3
Hamstring curl x3
Seated hamstring curl x3
Sitting/legpress calf raise x3
Rear delt fly x3
Cable lateral raise x3
Dumbbell shrugs x3
Abdominal pull-up with a lowered bench x3

Upper tue/fri

bench press/hammer press x3
Pec deck fly/incline bench press x3
Lat pulldown x3
Close grip row/wide grip row x3
Barbell shoulder press/shoulder press machine x3
Skullcrusher/rope pulldown x3
Dumbbell curls/cable curls x3
Tricep rope pulldown x5 myo reps
Bicep curls x5 myo reps

is 120-150kg to much for legpress, considering my graft on my aorta and my mechanical valve? (currently off as i had a minor surgery in June, none heart related)
Do i do too much? I honestly feel it's too much st times, but my eager and stubbornes makes it hard for me to change without someone telling me to change.
Any help is appreciated 🙂

Man it’s just so hard to know or give advice as everyone’s “easy” or “hard” is so subjective.
I can bench and do pull ups pretty easily - decent weight and reps, that’s considered “max exertion” for some.

For me, I keep coming back to the basketball dudes. I reckon if the NBA blokes who have had a Dacron tubes put in are sending it pretty hard with other top tier professionals on the court. then my measly workouts and runs are probably safe. Take a look at the dude in the video I posted above. He is a freak.

Not a scientific approach but I’m done worrying about it.

Man it’s just so hard to know or give advice as everyone’s “easy” or “hard” is so subjective.
I can bench and do pull ups pretty easily - decent weight and reps, that’s considered “max exertion” for some.

For me, I keep coming back to the basketball dudes. I reckon if the NBA blokes who have had a Dacron tubes put in are sending it pretty hard with other top tier professionals on the court. then my measly workouts and runs are probably safe. Take a look at the dude in the video I posted above. He is a freak.

Not a scientific approach but I’m done worrying about it.
Agreed, I don’t even think about it anymore in honesty. I do what I think is sensible (still sticking to higher rep sets e.g 15-20) and not doing one rep maxes, but that’s more or less it.

The weight has obviously gone up over time as I’ve built muscle and got stronger. I also agree with the point about the basketball players; if they’ve been cleared to play at a high level I imagine they must be doing some fairly strenuous strength workouts despite having an aortic graft!

Agreed, I don’t even think about it anymore in honesty. I do what I think is sensible (still sticking to higher rep sets e.g 15-20) and not doing one rep maxes, but that’s more or less it.

The weight has obviously gone up over time as I’ve built muscle and got stronger. I also agree with the point about the basketball players; if they’ve been cleared to play at a high level I imagine they must be doing some fairly strenuous strength workouts despite having an aortic graft!
Yep, sounds a lot like how I am going about it too. It’s the only way!

So I'm definitely going to get better, been slacking with the breathing as I've been adding weights fast over the last month.
Do i do too much? I honestly feel it's too much st times, but my eager and stubbornes makes it hard for me to change without someone telling me to change.
Any help is appreciated 🙂

Hey, we instinctively know if its too much, by your own admission you know at times its too much.

The smart person would live to lift another day, Ego and stubbornness are sometimes unhelpful.

Be smart, dial back when you think your Ego is taking over, remember you're in charge.
Lift, but be healthy 🦾

Have been lifting for nearly a year after surgery and been doing exactly what Aqua_Grim7 said. Aiming for 20 reps a set is what I do and hopefully that keeps me from straining too much. But, all is going well and I'm happy to be back in the gym (and on the trails).

Yep, sounds a lot like how I am going about it too. It’s the only way!
What kind of lifts you doing? I’ve been keeping it fairly simple with compound movements really, but looking to add some more. Are there any you think we should steer clear of or is anything pretty much good to go?

So full upper body twice a week:
bench, overhead press, pull ups, push ups, fly’s, lat pulls, bent over rows.
I used to do a lot of cleans (I used to love them) but have let those go. And I don’t dead lift anymore.

Lower body once a week:
Back squats, front squats, leg press. Maybe some kettlebell goblet squats

Then it’s just running on the off days.

What kind of lifts you doing? I’ve been keeping it fairly simple with compound movements really, but looking to add some more. Are there any you think we should steer clear of or is anything pretty much good to go?
I think’s power cleans and deadlifts are probably the ones that are gonna jack your BP pretty high

So full upper body twice a week:
bench, overhead press, pull ups, push ups, fly’s, lat pulls, bent over rows.
I used to do a lot of cleans (I used to love them) but have let those go. And I don’t dead lift anymore.

Lower body once a week:
Back squats, front squats, leg press. Maybe some kettlebell goblet squats

Then it’s just running on the off days.
Nice! Seems like you’ve got a pretty decent routine there…like I said, I’m mainly doing full body compound stuff three times a week (Bench, OHP, Squat, Bodyweight Rows) but I would like to add a few more isolation exercises.

I agree, I’ll probably steer clear of deadlifting, and I don’t do cleans anyway so nothing to worry about there. Cheers for the reply!

Latest posts

Back