Weight gain and stomach upset

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Doris

I was wondering if anybody else was having weight gain and stomach problems. I exercise and try to keep to a strict 1200 calorie diet. Lately, I've been having bloating and stomach pain as well. I've done a little research and I found coumadin my be the culprit. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Doris
Woodbridge, Va
St. Jude's Mitro Valve
4-6-00

Wt gain stomach upset

Wt gain stomach upset

Doris, I am also on Coumadin after MVR St. Jude.
I had no symptoms like yours.Coumadin does not cause stomach symptoms in most cases. Maybe your doctor should check out possible other causes such as an ulcer. Marty McLean VA

Hi Doris,

I have some of the same problems you discribe. I can tell you that I lived in the gym 5 days a week for over 14 years until my emergency surgery and valve replacement. I now take Coumadin and a Beta Blocker.

I no longer have me a "six pack" ab area. Seems that no matter how hard I work at it at the gym I can not get it back to where it was. Another reason is that Beta Blockers slow your body metabolism, therefore the same amount of calorie intake doesn't burn off like it used to.

Are you taking other medication other than Coumadin? I blame my issue more on the Beta Blockers, than the Coumadin.

Here is the listing of Coumadin side Effects.

Side Effects of This Medicine (Coumadin)

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Since many things can affect the way your body reacts to this medicine, you should always watch for signs of unusual bleeding. Unusual bleeding may mean that your body is getting more medicine than it needs. Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following signs of bleeding or overdose occur :

Bleeding from gums when brushing teeth; blood in urine; nosebleeds; pinpoint red spots on skin; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusually heavy bleeding or oozing from cuts or wounds; unusually heavy or unexpected menstrual bleeding

Signs and symptoms of bleeding inside the body--dose-related

Abdominal or stomach pain or swelling; back pain or backaches; black, tarry stools; bleeding in eye; blood in stools; blood in vomit or vomit that looks like coffee grounds; blood in urine; blurred vision; chest pain; confusion; constipation; coughing up blood; diarrhea (sudden and severe); dizziness or fainting; headache (continuing or severe); joint pain, stiffness, or swelling; loss of appetite; nausea and vomiting (severe); nervousness; numbness or tingling of hands, feet, or face; paralysis; shortness of breath; weakness (sudden)

Also, check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:

Less common

Cough or hoarseness; fever or chills; lower back or side pain; painful or difficult urination; skin rash, hives, or itching

Rare

Blisters or itching on skin; blue or purple toes; dark urine; pain in toes; painful red sores on skin, especially on thighs, breasts, penis, or buttocks; sores, ulcers, or white spots in mouth or throat; sudden increase or decrease in amount of urine; swelling of face, feet, and/or lower legs; trouble in breathing; yellow eyes or skin

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome:

Less common or rare

Bloated stomach or gas (with dicumarol); cold intolerance; diarrhea (more common with dicumarol); loss of appetite; nausea or vomiting (more common with dicumarol); stomach cramps or pain

These medicines sometimes cause temporary loss of hair on the scalp.

Depending on your diet, anisindione may cause your urine to turn orange. Since it may be hard to tell the difference between blood in the urine and this normal color change, check with your doctor if you notice any color change in your urine.

Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Weight gain and stomach upset

I take celebrex 200mg 2x daily, plaquenil 200mg 2x daily and citracal, for rhumatoid arthritis and stress tabs vitamins. I also take 2mg of metrotreate 3x a week for the arthritis.

I never had any of these problems before coumadin. If I gained weight at least my lower abs didn't look like I was pregnant. I can't seem to lose weight no matter how hard I workout and watch my diet. I do Tae Bo, walk and low impact arobics. I modify my exercises for my disability. I still work out 4-5 days a week for 20-30 minutes a day.

Thanks Rob for letting me know its not in my head. I am going to have a check up soon and I will let the doctor know what I'm dealing with. Thanks

Doris

Hello Doris,

Hey girl, just know that you're not alone in this, and boy can I identify with you.
Already before surgery I had started to gain weight as I simply did not have it in me anymore to work out the 5 days a week that I had been working out. Little by little I lost my motivation to go to the gym, and I had been going since the early 80's.
Last year I found out by accident what the problem was, and I had two surgeries to replace my Aortic Valve. (Read my personal story with all the details)
I am now one year post-op and I still have to lose the weight that I gained. The food plan that I was on when I was into heavy lifting, and that everyone uses at the gym is the low carb plan, but that doesn't seem to work for me anymore, believe you me I have tried already for a year. I thought this would be a breeze, but it has been the opposite.
I am also on Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy, but that is only one pill a day. Have to talk to my doctor about that yet. Have an appointment next week.
I eat sensebly, work out with free weights 3 times a week, and walk/run the treadmill afterwards and on the off days when I have the energy that day.

Hope it helps you to know that you're not alone.

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's mechanical
Coumadin 19mg a day.

To help decide if a side effect is caused by a medication, consider how long you have been taking it. If the side effect (bloating)occurs soon after you start it, it may be related to the medication. If it starts more than a month or so later, it probably is not the medication.
The other thing is that warfarin gets blamed for many things when it is only along for the ride. It is given when life-changing occurrences happen. It is easier to blame the medication than to admit to a change in the body.

Back