We May Be Losing Our Dog, Andromeda...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PairoDocs

rural area outside Buhl, Idaho, United States
Our dog, Andromeda (Andie for short), a half black lab, half Alaskan Malamute we got in November 1996 when she was a puppy (when Laura and I had been married only six months), suddenly lost her ability to use her hind legs this last Saturday. She had been showing some stiffness and weakness in her hindquarters for about three months, but we thought it was just old age arthritis. We took her into the vet and he X-rayed her and found she had some hip dysplasia, but no dislocations. Her back looked fine. Since then, she's regained some ability to move her tail and her back legs, but now she can't use her front legs because her proprioception (sense of where her body parts are) is impaired, and she can't stand even with assistance. We don't know what to do. If this situation continues, we may elect to have her put to sleep on Thursday. The vet thinks she may have had something called a spinal cord stroke. She is continent and is able to eat and drink.

She's hot and uncomfortable in the veterinary hospital where she's been since Saturday--been panting non-stop since arrival except when sleeping. I am going to as the vet if I could take her home for a while and lay her on a blanket outside near the snow for a few hours so she can be comfortable and see the outdoors for the last time and visit with her goat, chicken, cat, and dog friends. If she rallies, then she stays, if not, one final trip to the vet... :(

She loves the cold and snow--she used to break through ice to go for swims in Alaska. Malamutes love cold, but hate water, while labs like water... She also loved to dig for voles and eat them--I guess they reminded her of lemmings (Malamutes eat them like popcorn). Her mere presence kept black bears away from our wilderness-backed home on the outskirts of Anchorage (black bears are tormented mercilessly by Malamutes, thus run away at the mere scent of that particular breed), and also the coyotes away from our Idaho place. She used to run 10 miles up and down our Idaho country roads, and we had to put a cable dog run up to keep neighbors from shooting at her because they perhaps thought she would chase cows--she never did, but still a large dog+cows=trouble in many people's minds around here. She got plenty of exercise anyway, and always had two pygmy goats for company, as well as some semi-feral chickens. Our shih-tzu, Oggie, has been out of sorts as of late, though he didn't stay with Andie outside. He always would spend a little time with her every day and misses her terribly.

Sorry if I sound maudlin, but this dog has been a good companion and a very sweet dispositioned animal. The kids like her, and were just getting into the chore of regularly feeding and watering her--I used to do it on my own until recently. We'd really appreciate prayers. Prayers that she gets up and walks so we don't have to put her to sleep. We asked our vet about wheeled carts and other options, but as a country dog who can't stand being indoors very much, she'd never adjust. So the options are she gets back up on her feet, or she has to be released from her misery. We want what is best for Andromeda and the wisdom and the strength to do the right thing.

Chris

Laura and Chris,

I'm sorry your canine family member is suffering.

One of my dogs (a lab-setter mix) developed a similar situation where he could no longer control his hind legs. My Vet said it is a common neurological problem where communication is disrupted down the spine. I got the impression it was not reversible and elected to put him to sleep. It was one the hardest and emotionally wrenching decisions of my life. Rest his soul.

'AL Capshaw'

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know what it can mean to lose a friend of this closeness and caliber. I'm still carrying a torch for my gentle Abby.

I can offer no comfort, but only know that there are many who understand and have felt the extent of the loss you may be facing.

Best wishes,

I too am sorry to hear this. Losing our loved animals, even if it's the humane thing to do, hurts terribly.

I too am sorry to hear this. Losing our loved animals, even if it's the humane thing to do, hurts terribly.
This is so correct. Even if it's the right thing, it doesn't make it the easy thing. I waited too long to have my beloved Cocker Spaniol put down and then felt very badly after that I had caused her to suffer because of my own selfishness. In my heart I was giving her the chance for a miracle to happen. You have my sympathy at this difficult time.

Obviously this is a wonderful dog. It seems to me that you are doing all the right things. We had a wonderful dog that died at the Vet's office. I have always wished we had brought her home for a while. I think you are doing the right thing.

We just went through something very similar last month, and there are no easy answers. The best I can do is offer my prayers that she is able to rally, and you be able to postpone any further course of action.

Sorry to hear this, it kinda makes me face reality. I have 14 year old Husky and Akita mix that is having the same problem. he is such a wonderful dog, all he requires is love and food. I have had him since is was 4 weeks old. I pray for the best outcome.

My heart goes out to you. Pets are such a gift in our lives. Unfortunately, they do not live as long as we do, so we are inevitably faced with their passing. I think there is a finesse in a person or an animal dying gracefully and easily. I will pray first for a recovery for your dear friend. And if that fails, then an easy passage.

God Bless.

Chris and Laura,
Last October I lost my darling 14 yr old Labrador in the same way. She had some dysplasia and stiffness according to her old age, but when she woke up one morning and could no longer stand up, I knew something else had gone terribly wrong. She was panting and in pain.
She ate, drank, and waited for my hubby to carry her outside to relieve herself....a real trooper right until the end which made it especially hard to make that phone call to the vet.
You may remember my story, I lay her on a blanket and had the local livestock/pet veterinarian come to the house.
My darling Cleo was able to go to sleep without suffering and cross the Rainbow Bridge....and she will greet your Andie tomorrow, and they will run and play, roll in the grass, and bask in the sun.
Letting go is the hardest thing to do, my thoughts are with you.

Our boxer is coming up on 11, which is past the average life span for boxers. I've noticed that she is having trouble going from laying down to standing and fear that we will be facing this soon. Our walks are now limited to the end of the street and back. We got her as a puppy right after my surgery so she helped me with my Rehab.

It's very difficult to lose a pet, but in the end, you know she had a great life doing just what dogs do best - playing and loving her people.

Chris:

I'm so sorry your dog is suffering. My thoughts are with you.

I lost a dear cat Friday (1/23). He had symptoms of an incurable illness that does not respond to any treatment There was only one thing you could do.

I am very sorry for what you and your pup are going through. I love dogs and have four right now. Just remember, all dogs do go to heaven.

I'm very sorry to read this, we are going thru something simalr with our dog Comet, a 14 year old Golden retrever, who was Justin's first puppy, We had dogs before but Comet was the first dog Justin got as a puppy. He had alot trouble getting up Friday and I thought Monday we'd be going to the vet. Comet rallied, but I know it isn't for long so we've been giving him lots of his favorite treats and food. I keep praying Comet just doesn't wake up but at the same time don't want that either. Our fur babies sure work their way deep into our hearts.

I'm so sorry. I have an acquintance whose dog had a spinal cord stroke. He was only 2. He's doing ok now, but he was young at the time, and he's still far from 100%. Plus that was his only issue, so she could take the time to see how well he recovered. With a dog at 12+ with other medical problems, putting her down is only a kindness. I know you will miss her.

I am so sorry to hear about your pet. :( We had a dog, Ziggy, that we had to put to sleep because of this same reason; she lost the mobility of her hind legs. Bless her heart she would desperately try to move around by using her front legs but after about a week, we could no longer bear to watch her struggle so we had her put down.

It will be hard to do this I know but you will be doing your best friend a final act of kindness!

Back