We always knew it was coming. . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, everyone, for all the responses and support. I am always mindful of the wonderful family we have here, and could never travel this road without all of you.

malibu and John, thanks for the advice on Northwestern, and especially McCarthy. I plan to call his office this week to ask how he decides which doctor will do an aortic valve. Maybe he would do mine. . .

It is funny -- as I sit here at a desk, I feel good. I feel like I could do almost anything I did 25 years ago. But when I go to try to do it, as the old commercial said. . . "My get-up-and-go got up and went." Sure is a drag getting tired so much easier. I still can walk miles at a brisk pace without issues, but when I speed up to a jog, I'm only good for a couple of miles. I did 7:30 miles well into my 50's, and now I'm slowed down to 14:00. Time to get it fixed while I'm still young enough to try to regain some physical conditioning before it is too late. Also, it just feels like my world is getting smaller, and I don't like that feeling.

Well, now I should get back into research mode, doctors, hospitals, valves -- so many choices. I guess I should feel that we are blessed to have the choices. Many who came before us did not.

Wishing you all the best as you transition out of the waiting room. It does seem strange to hear that your waiting is near its end.

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that you are out of the "watch mode".
That being said, during that period you sure have armed yourself with a wealth of information on the issue, and should be well prepared to take-on the task of getting the issue behind you and then onto the path of being well. Just think how much stress relief that will bring.

In the meantime, please keep us posted of your progress. You will be in both my thoughts and prayers as you go forward.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do or provide to help you get through this.

Wishing you good health my friend,

Rob

A quick update. . .

A quick update. . .

I just got off the phone with Dr. McCarthy's nurse. I found out that he does all types of valve surgery, not just mitral valves as some of us have been lead to believe. He only refers cases to associates where there is a specific issue that an associate specializes in.

The nurse said that most of the aortic replacements they currently do are using bovine tissue valves from Edwards. Guess I'll have to research them. She also said that at age 63, they would most likely suggest I consider that valve.

I found her attitude and personality very conducive to communicating and learning about their practice. A pleasant conversation that answered all of my initial questions. Dr. McCarthy will definitely be on my "short list" of potential surgeons.

Holy cow - just read this and I don't know whether to commiserate with you or congratulate you! At least you're out of the waiting room. Having that hanging over you was a tough row to hoe for all those years.

McCarthy is happy with the Carpentier-Edwards bovine valve, and it is certainly a good valve. The St. Jude Biocor has similar statistical credentials, if you wanted to look at that one as well.

I'll bet you're nervous, even with all that you have absorbed over the years. Knowing things helps, but it's still not easy. It's a very big deal when it's you.

Anything I can help with, Steve, please let me know.

Very best wishes,

Steve,

I'm sorry to hear that you will have to step down as the President and CEO of the waiting room but in some ways it must be a relief to know that the long wait is over and once you recover from the surgery you will get back to feeling like you did before you started to experience symptoms. They always say waiting is the hardest part and you have had a lot of waiting to do. I experienced both fear and relief at the same time when they finally said it was time. Having major surgery is scary but in my case the progression of my symptoms made me look forward to being on the other side of the mountain.

I wish you an "unremarkable" surgery and a speedy recovery.

Bryan

For many of us there is the transition from someday off in the future, to a time that perhaps sooner than expected.

I have gone through life (am 47 diagnosed at 4) "knowing" that at some point....likely in my 50's or 60's that a repair/replacement would be likely.

SOMEDAY seemed FAR FAR in the future, even when the reminders creep into life that perhaps all is not perfect heart wise. Much easier to attribute this to getting older, out of shape. This reality maybe even more startling for those who have had their lives rudely interrupted or inconvenienced by any reminder, gentle or otherwise.

I anticipate over the next little while a better understanding of how soon my own 'someday" will arrive. Honestly.. for me at this point, all I want is to KNOW and have the wondering end.

And yes..I know when this situation become more definitive I will likely have a moment when I would rather cover my ears and go "LALALALALAL". Oh the Fickleness of human nature.

To those who have found their "someday" and and have moved forward on their heartroad...thanks for sharing your stories and encouragement.

As for those still shuffling our feet, or switching chairs in the waiting room ... take a deep breath and keep enjoying the gift of life and loved ones.

~Blue

Steve:

Like many of us, I had my AVR relatively young (low 40s), and there was little choice except for mechanical valve at that age. At 63, it's probably a bit more difficult to decide.

All I can say is that I wouldn't make the choice if concern about anticoagulation is an issue. With the help of those here (and your own meter) - or perhaps an anticoagulation clinic or doctor who knows how to actually manage anticoagulation - the issue of maintaining a higher than normal INR isn't necessarily that big a deal.

From the comments I've seen in this thread, I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your situation.

The other item that comes to mind is that I will have to ask all of you to find another manager for The Waiting Room. I thought I should mention it now so that we have some time to carefully select someone to keep the place in shape.

*grins devilishly*

I don't care who the new manager for The Waiting Room is ... as long as I retain ALL of my garage parking spaces ... AWAY from ANY front wheel drive vehicles.

:)

Steve ... I can't really help you with your query about surgeons ... all of my surgeries have been done at Chicago's Children's Memorial Hospital.

GOOD LUCK on your decisions ... and thoughts/prayers en route, as you already know.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Somebody snitched on me" ... Barry Gordon ... 'Nuttin' For Christmas'

Yeah, Cort - REAL cars only have front wheel drive when in reverse!

As I tell people around here -- "If I can't turn my back tires into smoke and dust, then I'm not having any fun!"

The waiting room is a virtual place where those who have yet to have surgery wait. They know they need surgery at somepoint in the future, they just don't know when.

Steve,
I'm sorry I have missed a lot of this, been having some problems but not heart related.
We go back a number of years and knew this time was coming.
I want to wish you the very best outcome, and if I can offer any help just let me know.
Hva any of our Chicago members chimed in to offer names and places that might help you decide where to go?
Rich

Yeah, Cort - REAL cars only have front wheel drive when in reverse!

As I tell people around here -- "If I can't turn my back tires into smoke and dust, then I'm not having any fun!"

*grins*

Another reason you and I hit it off so well when we met!

Hope to see you again sometime soon ... hopefully after the Holidays....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*
** RadioShow.CDshowcase.HOLIDAY | Friday | 12.24.2010 | noon-4p.CENTRAL = www.WRMN1410.com **
"The children want to know why we hung the mistletoe" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'It's Christmas'

Steve, Just wanted to throw in my support. It is one of those bad/good things. Bad you have to do it, good that you are doing it before any damage takes place. If you want to come to Boston, there is a Dr. Baker at MGH that just saved one of my best friends. Brian

Steve,

I have not been to the forum in many moons. Hope you are finding comfort in your decision. McCarthy would be my choice in the city. Have not looked at the forum further to see if you are scheduled. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
As we are local, anything I can do for you.....just say the word!

Thanks, Gina. Long time, no see. . .

I have my initial consult appointments with surgeons scheduled -- Dr. Schwartz tomorrow (12/29) and Dr. McCarthy next Wednesday. Will probably check in with my thoughts and questions after seeing both. No definite schedule yet, but aiming for early March.

Back