Watchman Procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp172

I will be discussing the possibility of having the Watchman procedure in January with my cardiologist. This would allow me to get off blood thinners. Anyone else had this procedure?

Thanks,

Mickey

I will be discussing the possibility of having the Watchman procedure in January with my cardiologist. This would allow me to get off blood thinners. Anyone else had this procedure?

Thanks,

Mickey
Interesting. I've seen the ads on TV about Watchman and the old man running on the deck with the nails sticking out of it. My own thought is that product is not for valve patients.....but it would be interesting to see what an MD thinks. Come back and tell us what he/she says.

Incidentally, your bio says you've had valve repair. Do you still have to be on anti-coagulants? Try warfarin. It's a lot cheaper and easy to work with.

Last edited:
Guys,

Thanks for the info. I had a mitral valve replacement in 2020 (porcine) and am on Eliquis ( which is more expensive). My cardiologist strongly recommended I move from coumadin to Eliquis in early 2022. He did not mention any restrictions with regard to Watchman. I will let you know what he says.

Thanks,

Mickey

Met cardiologist this week and since everything is going well he did not recommend a watchman at this time. The fact that I have a porcine mitral valve and am on Eliquis is not a factor. I hope everyone is well.

I've had a few bouts of afib, and was taking Xarelto for a while. My electrophysiologist recommended that I look into the Watchman, if the afib returns, as the anti-coagulants conflict with other meds I take for other issues. (NSAIDS for arthritis)

Just for clarity purposes, as I do not see that the OP states why he is currently on anticoagulation, the Watchman Procedure is not for patients who are on anticoagulation related to having a prosthetic heart valve, but for those with non-valvular afib. Please see link below.

"The WATCHMAN Implant is a one-time, minimally invasive procedure for people with atrial fibrillation not caused by a heart valve problem (also known as non-valvular AFib) who need an alternative to blood thinners. "

https://www.watchman.com/en-us/how-watchman-device-works.html

I should clarify my interest, too, Chuck. I have a tissue valve, so I am not on regular anticoagulation. I do, however, have paroxysmal afib (episodic issues), and if I have an episode that is over 4-6 hours long, my electrophysiologist will recommend that I re-start Xarelto for 30 days until it settles down. She recommended I consider the Watchman as a means by which to avoid those periodic requirements for Xarelto. This has no direct connection to my valve (other than the fact that my afib stems from damage done to my heart's conductive pathways during valve surgery).

(other than the fact that my afib stems from damage done to my heart's conductive pathways during valve surgery)
ouch.

I keep mentioning this as a reason for 30 year olds to not plan a pathway towards having 3 or more surgeries in their career.

I would literally dread a third (not least because of the unsettled matter of my previous surgical infection)

ouch.

I keep mentioning this as a reason for 30 year olds to not plan a pathway towards having 3 or more surgeries in their career.

I would literally dread a third (not least because of the unsettled matter of my previous surgical infection)

If you remember that I was the "poster boy" for post-op complications after my AVR, you realize that I, too, will be very careful about planning my next surgery.:eek:

If you remember that I was the "poster boy" for post-op complications after my AVR, you realize that I, too, will be very careful about planning my next surgery.:eek:
I do, and I hope that when that time comes you are in a good position and have an excellent outcome. I believe I don't need hope however because (from what I understand) your situation is currently good, and you are a very informed realistic and diligent (going to the guy, all the good lifestyle stuff) person.

you may recall I had a few post surgical hurdles of my own (but its not a competition any of us even want to enter into let alone win) ;-)

The odds are in your favor.

Latest posts

Back