Was it obvious when you strained your sternum?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TellTaleHeart

I’m 2 weeks post surgery. As much as I try to not overextend my healing sternum, I have caught myself on rare occasion doing the wrong thing, like reaching for a cup on a high shelf or bracing with my arm(s). It hasn’t hurt at the time, but I wonder if I did enough to interfere with the healing process. For anyone who has done themself injury this way, did you know it when it happened? I feel like I’m making decent progress otherwise, even caught a nap in bed on my back today, so I don’t want to slow progress down.

I think it must be pretty difficult to interfere with the healing process as the sternum is very firmly secured after surgery. Just six days post surgery I tripped on a large heavy box and landed with my sternum hitting the edge of the box hard. It was very painful and I was very winded so phoned the hospital where I'd had surgery - the nurse I spoke to wasn't a bit concerned about my sternum, she was only conerned as to why I'd fallen over.

I’m 2 weeks post surgery. As much as I try to not overextend my healing sternum, I have caught myself on rare occasion doing the wrong thing, like reaching for a cup on a high shelf or bracing with my arm(s). It hasn’t hurt at the time, but I wonder if I did enough to interfere with the healing process. For anyone who has done themself injury this way, did you know it when it happened? I feel like I’m making decent progress otherwise, even caught a nap in bed on my back today, so I don’t want to slow progress down.

Good luck in your recovery. If it hasn’t hurt, I wouldn’t worry about it. Also, it’ll hurt enough to make you quit what you’re doing long before you’re at risk for healing lopsided or something. Short of a serious fall, you’ll be fine.

I did a few things I shouldn't have and I felt it but not for long. I've cannot remember a post where someone injured their sternum enough to require treatment.

Latest posts

Back