Warfarin sodium

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance

Good mornin g all
I'm just wondering if everyone is happy with the warfarin sodium (brand name/generic that you're taking and are your INR's stable?

Over the last 15+ years I have taken warfarin by Taro or Barr labs with no problem and my INRs have been stable 2.5-3.5. I recently had my warfarin refilled using a new lab(to me), Zydus Pharma. My INRs seem to have dropped a little(?), but are still within my range.

No problems here from switching from one generic brand to another. Didn't have to change the dosage.

Can't remember the first generic brand I was on which caused an itchy rash, but I am now on Taro and doing just fine - no rash and within my range.

No problem with generic, except I have more money in my pocket.

My INR is more affected by whether or not I drink, and exercise, than by the brand of medication. and some people are not affected by drink or diet.

I recently gave up alcohol and chocolate for about 3 weeks trying to shed a few pounds. Boy, is my INR stable. 2.5, 2.6, 2.6. For me that's unusual. And about .5 lower than weeks when I have a few glasses of wine. If I keep teetotalling, I may have to add a mg to my dose next week! But that's me.

This isn't supposed to be this way, however following several years of taking Taro (generic) I experienced problems with staying in range despite home testing and excellent management. This I switched to brand name Coumadin ($$) and within two weeks INR is stable.
Generics are supposed to be the same so unless I got a bad batch of Taro I can't explain it. I was told that ingredients at the molecular level are not the same between the two.

Back