Warfarin - shortage?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDT77

Hi all,

Curious to see if others are seeing similar.

Called cardio office last week, requesting 90 day script.

Done.

Present on Walgreens app.

Try to get it filled.

No.

Won't even refill normal 30 day supply, only 20 day supply.

Anyone else?

I just got a 90 day refill of warfarin last week by mail from CVS. According to the CVS web site there are no current drug shortages at this time.

Here they are limiting to 1 month supply for now, to make sure shortages do not come about, but pharmacies are delivering the pills for seniors at no cost,

I'm also waiting for 90 day supply of brand name coumadin from Kroger. They told me that i should get it sometimes this week, but they can give me 20 pills to cover me till they procure 90 days supply.

I have encountered this situation several times in the almost 17 years I’ve been on warfarin. I was told at Walmart that it only had 20 or whatever the number of tablets in stock and would order the rest. I was able to get a partial RX that day and pick up the rest the next day.

I only get warfarin twice a year, 90 tablets each time of 10s and 1s. I split the 10s into 5s and use the 1s as needed for adjustments or to compensate when I forget a dose.

When I forget a dose and notice it the next day, I split the 1s to take 2.5mg + my usual 5mg that day and do the same the next day, then resume taking only 5mg daily. That way I am taking my usual weekly dose with as little variance as possible. I wait 4 days after the 2nd compensated dose to run my INR at home.

I have brand name coumadin for next 10 days. I take 15 mg every day. If I dont get coumadin @ kroger by next week, will get a new prescription for generic warfarin, since they've generic warfarin in stock.

I have brand name coumadin for next 10 days. I take 15 mg every day. If I dont get coumadin @ kroger by next week, will get a new prescription for generic warfarin, since they've generic warfarin in stock.

I use the generic w/o any problem. I always keep myself a month ahead on prescriptions. If you fill it a week early for 4 months, you get the extra month.

Reactions: Eva
I do that as well. My nurse sent prescription to Kroger on last wednesday, but unfortunately, it has not been filled from last 5 days. I had to move away from generic warfarin too coumadin because of crazy INR variations with generic warfarin

I often keep at least 30 days, and usually 90 days, of 1, 4, and 7.5. I stocked up before the pandemic hit.

I take generic warfarin. At times, Costco didn't have 180 4 mg tabs in stock, so they ordered it from their pharmacy and had them the next day.

I can sort of understand other pharmacies limiting supplies for 30 days, but I doubt that demand for Warfarin would justify this measure. (I doubt that there are THAT MANY people taking Warfarin to make this a necessary safeguard).

If you CAN stock up, it probably makes sense to get a 90 day supply, just to have it. That's pretty much what I've done.

There currently is no shortage in Southern Ca. where I live of generic which I have used for years. The problem may be some hoarding although the supply chain could be interrupted since I don't know where the drug is made. It could be either India or China. Since it is rather important to those of us who have mechanical valves it might behoove those with them to make sure they have adequate drug. In the US the insurance companies will only pay when there is a long enough period since the last refill. If the insurance doesn't pay then paying cash might be the best insurance. The drug should not be too expensive even without insurance coverage. I know that this message somewhat encourages hoarding but in a potentially life or death situation or at least life and stroke one can not be too careful. Those of us with mechanical valves and pacemakers are very much aware how much we depend on civilization continuing. We would not last too long in the zombie apocalypse.

I got 90 days supply of brand name Coumadin 5 mg yesterday, still waiting for 90 days supply of Coumadin 10 mg from Kroger Atlanta

Warfarin is also manufactured in Israel. It's hard for me to imagine people hoarding warfarin - but it's also hard to imagine people hoarding milk or eggs. These expire - if not used (or sold) within a few weeks, the 300 gallons of milk that some speculator bought will spoil and become useless. Plus, hens will continue laying eggs, cows will continue producing milk - so supplies should always be available if it isn't hoarded.

The companies that manufacture warfarin will probably still be making it. It's probably not a bad idea to get a 90 day supply, in case manufacturers shut down because of COVID-19, but the stock will probably be replaced before there's a TRUE shortage.

Latest posts

Back