Warfarin/INR and the flu/a cold

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipkid

I think I read somewhere that things like having the flu can affect your INR - yes/no?

I ask because I am getting sick now, have a killer sore throat today, feel like crap, and am wondering about what to expect. I am testing my INR next time next Tuesday as my scheduled day (which is my next day off work).

I am also wondering about drug interactions. Normally when I have a cold coming on I suck on some "zinc" cold-eze type lozenges, which seems to make my throat feel better and (supposedly) reduce the intensity/longevity of the cold symptoms.

But I noticed on the package of these that I was going to take today that it says "Ask a doctor before use if taking etc etc etc or....coumidin, because zinc treatment may inhibit absorption of these medicines".

I have some other cold type remedies/lozenges that mention similar things.

I would ask a doctor but there is no way for me to do that until Tuesday at the earliest. I saw a sticky thread up here about warfarin drug interactions but the link in there doesn't work.

Anyone have any knowledge/experience to share about being sick and on warfarin?

Does INR tend to go down/up when your body is sick like this?

What meds to avoid, or what adjustments with warfarin might be worth considering/discussing with Dr. during this time etc?

Another pain with this for me is that my own Dr. is not only on vacation for next 2 weeks but he is also moving to another practice as soon as he comes back. Trying to deal with other Dr's in existing practice has been a nightmare regarding my INR btw (just this week they have demonstrated no understanding of the fact that I am in a weekly testing program, what my current range or dosage target is etc - problems which I have already gone through multiple times already with their office and also my cardiologist)...

Thanks.

avoid having Halls.
I take zinc for a sore throat all the time and Tylenol. I haven't really notice a problem with my INR
Drinking tea with honey will sooth the throat too.
Basically, you have to take what you have to take to feel better, adjust your dosage accordingly if you need to. A couple of zinc tablets every four hours and Tylenol should do the trick.
Good luck and fret about your INR.

Hi
slipkid;n856648 said:
I think I read somewhere that things like having the flu can affect your INR - yes/no?

mine seems to move just a few points lower ... but it really difficult to see that as not being natural variance ... so say from 2.7 down to 2.4 ...

I ask because I am getting sick now, have a killer sore throat today, feel like crap, and am wondering about what to expect. I am testing my INR next time next Tuesday as my scheduled day (which is my next day off work).

are you self testing? Either way I can't be sure if you'd see anything significant. Do you test weekly?

Anyone have any knowledge/experience to share about being sick and on warfarin?

being sick feels as crap as it did before I was on warfarin ... other than that (as Freddie mentioned) keep an eye on interactions. I normally don't take much, perhaps some pseudoeffedrine .. one or two doeses of pretty much anything isn't going to effect anything. Its when you go on something for a longer period.

.. what adjustments with warfarin might be worth considering/discussing with Dr. during this time etc?

my view is always "measure when in doubt, do not adjust anything till you see a clear week long trend" .. otherwise you are more likely to just set up a see saw effect ... keep a steady hand on the tiller.

Take it easy, and consider stopping / scaling back any Gym work when you have a cold (this is not a warfarin thing, but general advice when you have a cold).

Latest posts

Back