Warfarin at 6pm everyday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanjo

Hey everyone, post op 13 weeks now so far so good:)..But anyway im on Warfarin forever and instructed to take it at 6p.m. every evening..Now i'm wondering if it's ok to take it earlier like 1pm in the afternoon sometimes.. But i usually my warfarin at 6pm, just curious if anyone takes it at different time..

Joe-mech valve April/08

Pick a time,try to stick to it, and it will become routine soon enough.
I take mine at 6:30 right after my dinner. Many docs recommend taking it with food.

I had not heard the "take with food" recommendation before.

I take mine before bed, usually around 9 pm local or 10 pm. I use a 7 day pill box AND record ALL medications on a 31 day List. WHEN (usually only 2 or 3 times/year) I miss a dose and catch it in the morning, I just go ahead an take that dose and continue my usual schedule.

IF I catch a missed dose later in the day, I take that FULL Dose at that time and then 1/2 Dose in the evening plus and additional 1/2 dose the next day or evening.

I have slow digestion and a touchy stomach, Coumadin does not taste very nice either, so I follow up with a peppermint.

I think Bina meant to say peppermint Shnaps ;):D

I take my dosage at 5:00pm just before supper - just like I did while in the hospital. Although I was never told about taking it with food......maybe Bina is on to something here :confused:

Whatever schedule for taking warfarin that is convenient for you and helps you not to skip doses is fine. I think the "habit" of afternoon or evening doses is just a carry-over from hospital routines. Labs are usually drawn in the morning and results are back in time to adjust the next dose if indicated. Since the dose we take today won't show up in lab work for two or more days it really doesn't make any difference. I just take it at bedrime....be it 9 PM or midnight. The important thing is to take it.

Joe,

I take the majority of my meds right after lunch (usually around 1:30) including warfarin.

Take it anytime you want too, but stay with that schedule once you do. I take mine first thing in the morning when I get my coffee. If I don't, I'll forget it.

I take my warfarin in the morning along with my bp, allergy and multi-vitamin. I also use a seven day pillbox which really helps me NOT to forget a dose. It does not matter what time of day warfarin is taken...only that you try to be time consistant.

I have wondered for a while if I my little system was a proper subject for the forum--well, here goes. I take my warfarin and vitamin pill in the morning. In my case--as in most, I assume--the vitamin pill causes extra yellow urine.

This gives me the opportunity, a few times a day, to notice whether I forgot to take my warfarin. As Johnny Cochrane would say, (if he were still alive): "If it ain't yellow, you forgot the little fellow". Perhaps a bit earthy, but it works for me.

Hi!

Hi!

Hi--My AVR was 9 years ago. I take my warfarin just before I go to bed--whatever time that may be. I have forgotten a time or two so spread out what I missed over the next 2-3 days. That way, I get the same dosage in a week's time. Warfarin/coumadin is not to be feared.....Susan:D

I take mine at breakfast -- with food. Not as bitter-tasting if you take it with food.
That's what I remember about getting used to taking warfarin. How grossly bitter-tasting it is. YECH!!!!!!!!!

I started out taking it at dinner, then moved it to lunch, then decided I wanted to take it at breakfast. Never consulted my doctor. One day I just switched when I took it and have stuck with taking it at breakfast for over 4 years.

I use one of those 7-day pill boxes, mine has 7 smaller divided daily boxes that you can take out ...every morning I take out the individual day's little box and take my morning pills and I then leave the box on my bedside table... I take my evening pills with the warfarin around 7-7.30 pm and then put that days box away...when I go to bed a few hours later I can see if I have missed my dose or not depending on whether my pillbox is out or been put away.

I think once we find a system/routine that works for us we should stick with it...I believe I have missed my pills only twice in 2 and a bit years.

Hey everyone, post op 13 weeks now so far so good:)..But anyway im on Warfarin forever and instructed to take it at 6p.m. every evening..Now i'm wondering if it's ok to take it earlier like 1pm in the afternoon sometimes.. But i usually my warfarin at 6pm, just curious if anyone takes it at different time..

Joe-mech valve April/08
What? Your Dr didn't tell you why you must take it at EXACTLY 6pm? Wow... if you miss it by even one minute, your penis will fall off. :eek: Just kidding.

As the others have said, pick a time and just stick with it. If you miss it by a bit, your penis will not fall off. Consistency is the key, so try and keep it about the same time each day. If you miss it by a little bit, no big deal.

Back