Warfarin and Asprin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just wondering if anyone else is on the warfarin / Asprin combination? Why would it be nessscary? Wouldn't effective warfarin therapy management be enough?

It's real common. I don't know about the chemistry difference or interaction between warfarin and asprin, but most if not all mechanical valve recipients are on 80mg of asprin as well as the warfarin.

From how I understand it warfarin works on about 3 or so different clotting mechanisms controlled by your liver and asprin works on the platelets being able to stick together to start clot formation( I read somewhere if you think of platelets like ants it breaks their legs off)

Warrick;n885517 said:
From how I understand it warfarin works on about 3 or so different clotting mechanisms

to flesh this out:
Elements-of-the-coagulation-cascade-with-anticoagulant-and-thrombolytic-medication.png

and I gave up the baby aspirin about a year after my surgery ... just because I was too lazy to go get some more (meaning I forgot about it every time I went out)

Warrick;n885540 said:
How say you ??
When I was doing my PhD, we found that even without legs, ants had no resemblance to platelets. Ants are heaps bigger than platelets. You need a microscope to see platelets, but ants you can see with your bare eyes. There is no way you can stop bleeding with ants. I cut myself shaving once and the ants wouldn't stay still for long enough; so we cut off their legs and it made no difference. Professor Giuseppe Sforza replicated the study last year and got the same results. Sorry for the scientific jargon.

pellicle;n885519 said:
...I gave up the baby aspirin about a year after my surgery ... just because I was too lazy to go get some more (meaning I forgot about it every time I went out)

Interesting. I thought you were an advocate for running on the high side of an INR range to be "safe", wouldn't the same philosophy keep you on the baby aspirin? I believe in being within the INR range but don't worry if I go out either way. My range is tight though, 2-2.5.

I get mine dirt cheap at the local discount store. I get a couple of bottles every 6 months. Dick's experience with stroke keeps me on my prescribed medications.

tom in MO;n885546 said:
Interesting. I thought you were an advocate for running on the high side of an INR range to be "safe", wouldn't the same philosophy keep you on the baby aspirin?.

The thing is that I've read a lot on this issue and there isn't much to support that aspirin makes any difference. This is in contrast to warfarin which there is a ton of evidence to support.

Aspirin is not an anticoagulant, it's an antiplatelet. So (for instance) Dicks issue may not have been altered by having taken aspirin alone.

So while I'm a strong advocate for staying in range in INR, there's nothing I see that is compelling about aspirin.

​​​​​
I'm keen to see any studies that suggest I need to reevaluate this position.

Also I don't advocate being in the high side by much. My position is that You should be in range but that if you are out of range on the high side by under INR = 4 that it's not a big deal, but bring it back to range soon.

My position is that there is no significant reason to worry, not that it should be your goal.

Last edited:
I have been on a baby aspirin for over 25 years and seems even now with mechanical valve and warfarin I will remain on baby aspirin according to doctor.

I have an On-X valve since 2011. At the time, the On-X valve had just been approved for lower INR (lower coumadin therapy). My surgeon and cardio but me on low dose coumadin plus a baby aspirin, in theory, because of the lower coumadin levels. I maintain my coumadin between 1.5 and 2.5.

Might just be a coincidence but I was on warfarin and baby aspirin for the first 18 months after avr, went for a check up with my surgeon who told me to stop taking aspirin.Two weeks later I had a episode of sudden double vision and disorintation where I couldn’t focus on anything for about 10min. Because the only thing I thought i had done different was stopping aspirin, I took it upon myself to start taking it again. Could well be a coincidence like I say but im sticking to what I think best .Paul x

Did you cold turkey the baby aspirin? I was on baby aspirin for many years and when I had gall bladder removed I had to stop and went cold turkey and wow did I regret that. Baby aspirin relaxes your vessels and I was getting eye and headaches. For my recent surgery I weaned myself off over 2+ weeks. They put me on baby aspirin post surgery and plan on staying on it.

Latest posts

Back