Wanting to start home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a4wanman

I'm 5 weeks post-op. I would like to start home testing. I've been reading threads on this site, meter manufacturer's sites, and sites for testing services.

Based on posts and looking at the INRatio2 and Coaguchek XS, I would like to get the INRatio2.

Are most people using a service that provides the meter and test strips or did you purchase the meter?

Most "services" require you to be on warfarin for 3 months before you can start home monitoring. If you use one of these services, the meter is provided. I advantage of is if the meter malfunctions, the service will replace.

I did find one company that looked like you could purchase the meter. After the warranty period, you are on your own. At the cost of $1900, it would be hard to replace the meter after a few years.

I'm trying to find more information before my 3 months is up. I'm going to check with my insurance to see what they will cover.

Thoughts?

Best place to start is with your insurance company, though in all honesty, you should let the place that your thinking of using do the insurance deal for you. Beleve it or not, they all pretend like they don't know what your talking about, even after 15 years. You'll also need a prescription from your Doctor for the machine and testing supplies, which can be equally frustrating to get, for the same reason.

I'm on Medicare, so the equipment is rented until paid for. I don't know how others work it.

I am on stright medi-cal from california. I wonder if it's on the insurance plan. I really need one. My car broke down and its far away . anyone have a number that I can call for medi-cal not medicare. Im so glad I have this website

I would contact Alere, Philips or another of the companies that offer the equipment and/or INR services and let them help get you started.

I have used Alere and their lease type program for the past year. They supply my strips, lancets and meter at no cost to me or insurance. I am on a Medicare Advantage plan and I pay a 20% co-insurance (about $6) only for the tests I call in to Alere. I did like their program since I can test bi-weekly(one of the companies I contacted required weekly testing). I also am reluctant to lay down +/- $2000 for a meter because of technoloty advances, insurance questions and meter maintenance.

I use the Coaguchek XS and find it very simple to use and accurate.

I think the 90 day waiting period for home testing is a good idea. Will give you a chance to watch a professional run the first few tests and help get you stabilized......at least that is the way it is supposed to work. Hopefully, your INR manager will know what they are doing.....some do, some don't.:frown2:

Home Testing: Getting Started

Home Testing: Getting Started

I started home testing fairly quickly following AVR surgery. I pursued getting a monitor through my health insurance company with little success. Eventually, I purchased the monitor myself and successfully fought the insurance company to get reimbursement. I still have to pay for testing supplies out of my own pocket.

As others have noted, there are different routes you can pursue acquiring an monitor through. I really didn't feel that I needed to use some kind of service... testing and adjusting coumadin dosage is pretty easy.

The real starting point is working with your doctor or cardiologist to get the necessary prescription. My cardiologist's staff initiated all of the paperwork and provided assistance when my insurance company refused to cooperate.

-Philip

Update:

I wanted the INRatio 2 meter. Since my insurance (BlueCrossBlueShield of South Carolina) will not help me pay for the meter, I decided to start the home service. I didn't want to purchase a $1500 meter and have to replace it later.

I decided use the service from Philips, mainly because doctor can print a lovely graph with INR readings. Even though I will record the results myself, I will get the doc to print one for me monthly.

I was hesitant about using Alere (QAS) based on some post on this site. My Since I have reached my out-of-pocket max, I will only pay $10 for 4 weekly tests. The Philips rep told me it would cost $30 per 4 tests until my out-of-pocket max is reached.

My insurance said they would cover $135 / month (4 tests). A Philips rep said they charge insurance around $140. These numbers were based on information given directly to me. The numbers above are after the enrollment form was faxed to Philips. I will start home testing at the end of the month (3 months since starting Coumadin). I will re-evaluate what I may do in January when my deductible starts over. I should be comfortable with bi-weekly testing by then, but I guess it comes down to $20 / month for bi-weekly doctor testing because of co-pays, or $30 / month for weekly home testing. May stick with home testing for convenience and time savings.

Scott

Latest posts

Back