Want a Tattoo, Consulted with my Cardiologist---Not sure what to do now

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warfarinking

I've been wanting a tattoo for some time now. I had my aortic valve replaced in 2010 and have been on Coumadin ever since. I understand the best way to go about it is in smaller sessions and take anti biotics beforehand. I decided to consult with my doctors to see their thoughts although I knew they would not recommend it. Cardiologist response scared me a little, "too valuable to be risking infection and clotting." Has anyone gotten a tattoo while on blood thinners? what is the actual risk of infection? I am overthinking this because my appointment is April 7th, this will be my first tattoo and my gut is telling me to back out.

Cardiologist:

"Thank you for your message and for consulting with me beforehand. In my professional experience I highly recommend that you not proceed with tattoos. Your mechanical aortic valve is too valuable to be risking for infection and clotting (when off the coumadin). That being said, with the coumadin being continued through the process, there are risks of bleeding. Prophylaxis with antibiotics is indicated especially with going for dental procedures but again, the role of dental procedures is more for ongoing dental hygiene maintenance in order to avoid long term infections. In summary, I understand this may be important for you however the elective tattooing benefits in your case with the mechanical aortic valve are clearly outweighed by the risks and therefore is not advised.
Hope this helps."

Hello.

When I asked my cardiologist his exact words were "There are no real guidelines in this but to be safe I recommend a dose of antibiotics before and after. I have had patients get tattoos before on blood thinners however". My tattoo artist basically said what you said above - shorter sessions, more bleeding so may need to 'go over' more times. Regarding infection - If you are using a reputable tattoo artist (not a 'scratcher') and following strict after care procedures then I would imagine the risk of infection would be low. I've had around 20-25 hours of tattoo over my life and haven't had one infection (all pre opp).That said, I'm not sure if being on warfarin/having a mech valve increases the risk of infection. (And if it does, it would explain your cardiologists advice.)

In short - plenty of people have asked this here and online and there is no real answer, and your cardiologist would never condone it anyway.

Latest posts

Back