Wanna share any new recipes for Thanksgiving? Here's one I'm trying today.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Norma, Paula Deen's sons have a cookbook out that is geared towards a more "healthy" version of some faves. Maybe you will find some good ideas in there with less butter and more low fat and low sodium ingredients.

Fresh Orange Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh orange juice
3 extra large eggs
1 cup sour cream

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray 3 (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. I actually buttered them and then swished around the flour.:biggrin2:

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add oil, orange juice, eggs and sour cream. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 5 cups

1 cup butter, softened :thumbup:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon orange zest (grind that off the orange rind)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
8 cups confectioners' sugar.

In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and orange zest at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Add orange juice, beating until combined. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.

Spread Orange Cream Cheese Frosting evenly between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with orange slices if you want to.

No kidding -- this cake is marvelous..!!

Fresh Orange Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh orange juice
3 extra large eggs
1 cup sour cream

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray 3 (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour. I actually buttered them and then swished around the flour.:biggrin2:

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add oil, orange juice, eggs and sour cream. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes about 5 cups

1 cup butter, softened :thumbup:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon orange zest (grind that off the orange rind)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
8 cups confectioners' sugar.

In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and orange zest at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Add orange juice, beating until combined. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.

Spread Orange Cream Cheese Frosting evenly between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with orange slices if you want to.

No kidding -- this cake is marvelous..!!

I'm trying this recipe on Saturday. Practice run for T-day.:smile2:

Norma, I've got several green bean and or sweet potatoe recipes. I'll try to post them later today.

Greg, the Gratin of Greens recipe is not really that good, so serving it without baking might be an improvement.:wink2:

Norma, Paula Deen's sons have a cookbook out that is geared towards a more "healthy" version of some faves. Maybe you will find some good ideas in there with less butter and more low fat and low sodium ingredients.

I was just looking for a recipe on Paula Deens site and there is a catagory "bobby lightens it up" with healthier (than Mom's) holiday recipes
http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/food_section/cat_view/category/bobby_lightens_it_up/ is all the catagories and this page goes to the Holiday ones http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/food_section_articles/view2/bobbys_lighter_holiday_favorites/ he has both a sweet potato bake and green bean casserole

I was just looking for a recipe on Paula Deens site and there is a catagory "bobby lightens it up" with healthier (than Mom's) holiday recipes
http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/food_section/cat_view/category/bobby_lightens_it_up/ is all the catagories and this page goes to the Holiday ones http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/food_section_articles/view2/bobbys_lighter_holiday_favorites/ he has both a sweet potato bake and green bean casserole

Thanks Lyn for the link. I'm checking it out now! :)

I was wonderring if anyone tried any recipes from this thread or new recipes that they would make again or recommend. Starting to plan for Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner so thought this was a good place to start.

I was wonderring if anyone tried any recipes from this thread or new recipes that they would make again or recommend. Starting to plan for Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner so thought this was a good place to start.

I cooked a turkey and fixins' for Thanksgiving dinner and I tried something with my mashed potatoes that made them taste sooooo unbelievably good!

I peeled and boiled:

4 russet potatoes in low-sodium chicken stock

When they were fork tender, I drained them and reserved about a cup of the liquid they had cooked in. Then I put them in a mixing bowl, added pepper, very tiny pinch of salt, about 2 tsps. of unsalted butter, 1 TBSP of mayonaise and 3 tsp. of cream cheese. Then I whipped them with my electric beater until they were nice and smooth. I used the liquid they had cooked in to work the consistency of how I wanted them They were a HIT! Delicious!

Our family got hit with the flu bug (stomach) about four days after T-day. I didn't get it, actually I was the only one who lucked out, but I now have a bad association between Thanksgiving dinner and recipes tried.
I think we're having Italian beef for Christmas.

1 2-3 lb. eye of round (think that's what it's called)
1 pkg. dry Italian dressing
1 pkg au jus made according to package directions
1 can beer

Put the meat in the crockpot. Add the juice and beer, sprinkle Italian seasoning on top of the roast.
Cook on low 8 -10 hours. Serve with hard rolls.

Our family got hit with the flu bug (stomach) about four days after T-day. I didn't get it, actually I was the only one who lucked out, but I now have a bad association between Thanksgiving dinner and recipes tried.
I think we're having Italian beef for Christmas.

1 2-3 lb. eye of round (think that's what it's called)
1 pkg. dry Italian dressing
1 pkg au jus made according to package directions
1 can beer

Put the meat in the crockpot. Add the juice and beer, sprinkle Italian seasoning on top of the roast.
Cook on low 8 -10 hours. Serve with hard rolls.

Hummm, are you sure it was that flu thing, Mary???? I heard about that casserole you didn't find for days, remember???? ha, ha, ha!

Latest posts

Back