Wanna share any new recipes for Thanksgiving? Here's one I'm trying today.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Supporting Member
From the James Beard Foundation

Gratin of Greens
2 pounds spinach, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pounds Swiss chard, chopped
2 pounds zucchini, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot cooked rice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6 eggs, well beaten
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Wash and dry spinach. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot, add spinach and cook just until wilted. Remove spinach from pan. Cook the chard in 1 tablespoon oil until just wilted. Remove from pan. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil; add zucchini and cook until just tender.
Stir cooked vegetables together with salt, rice and garlic. Transfer to a well-oiled heavy baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
Remove pan from oven and stir in eggs. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese. Return to oven and cook about 15 minutes, until eggs are just set. Serves 8.
220 calories per serving 11 g fat; 160 mg chol.; 13g prot.;21g carbs.; 6g fiber, 610 mg sodium.

Mary must be secretly trying to kill off the "Coumadin Crowd"...... ;) :) LOL

Egads! Bina knows me too well!:eek2::eek2:

Seriously, Bina, you just posted somewhere else on the wideworld internet:wink2: that you used spinach to lower your INR. Or was that broccoli? :confused2:
I'm just trying to be helpful . . . :angel:

Seriously, Bina, you just posted somewhere else on the wideworld internet:wink2: that you used spinach to lower your INR. Or was that broccoli? :confused2:

I think she browses on broccoli w/her goatie babies, Mary!!! (I actually think she's a wabbit!) :tongue2:

Thanks for sharing the recipes. It sounds yummy. Let us know how it turns out....

Well, it's in the oven but I haven't put the eggs, bread crumbs or cheese in yet.
I'm EXHAUSTED from dealing with the two pounds of spinach . . . . that's a lot of spinach! :eek2:Two pounds of Swiss chard and two pounds of zucchini ain't nothing to sneeze at either.:biggrin2:

Mary,

That sounds like a seriously terrifc dish! I AM going to try it. I love spinach, and just about every ingredient in there!

Mary,

That sounds like a seriously terrifc dish! I AM going to try it. I love spinach, and just about every ingredient in there!

Now that I've made it and tried it . . . it's a good dish, but I have a spinach casserole that I like much better. I'll post it in a day or so. As Laurie mentions, this recipe contains a huge amount of green vegetables, but it cooked down to a manageable 9 x 13 baking dish size. Next time I make it, I'm going to add an extra egg and more cheese.:smile2:

Yes mary, my normal week of dinners includes 3-4 nights with a small portion of broc and small salads in between. The back to back broccoli and spinach lunch was a bonus to try to nudge down my INR of 3.7 (which doesn't worry me anyway).
So how much is 2 pounds of spinach in volume.... 4 quarts?

Yes mary, my normal week of dinners includes 3-4 nights with a small portion of broc and small salads in between. The back to back broccoli and spinach lunch was a bonus to try to nudge down my INR of 3.7 (which doesn't worry me anyway).
So how much is 2 pounds of spinach in volume.... 4 quarts?

Dunno about the 4 quarts. I bought 3 packages, 10 ounces each, and was still 2 ounces short.

I can tell you that it was a heck of a lot of spinach!

Probably enough to qualify as a Popeye snack.:wink2:

This has been a Cooker family favorite for years.... Enjoy:thumbup:

1 Recliner
1 Remote
2 Dozen Krispy Kreme Donuts
1 1/2 Gallon white milk (Hot chocolate may be substituted)
1 pair of extra stretchy sweat pants

:tongue2:

Does anyone have a 'Green Bean Casserole' or 'Sweet Potatoe' dish they want to share? I have prepared my own two versions of these two recipes but I'm always looking for different variations and as simple as possible! :)

Last edited:
My girls say her first ingredient is always a cube of butter!! I have had some success with adapting her recipes. Many of them use much more salt and fat than necessary.

From the James Beard Foundation

Gratin of Greens
2 pounds spinach, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pounds Swiss chard, chopped
2 pounds zucchini, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot cooked rice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6 eggs, well beaten
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Well, it's in the oven but I haven't put the eggs, bread crumbs or cheese in yet.
I'm EXHAUSTED from dealing with the two pounds of spinach . . . . that's a lot of spinach! :eek2:Two pounds of Swiss chard and two pounds of zucchini ain't nothing to sneeze at either.:biggrin2:

dang I gotta start reading things better.....never guessed you would need an oven thought it was just a wierd salad with raw egg dressing

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back