Wafarin and shaving?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poyda I am a female and still shave with a disposable razer. Always use caution, but I still do fine. It is always with use of common sense and caution. Just do what you feel and use caution. Doctors use what they want to shave with, so should you.

I too read all the bologna about shaving only with an electric razor while on warfarin. One visit to my cardiologist and I asked him why no razor blades. I was a bit sarcastic telling him I found if difficult to believe I would bleed to death from a razor knick and he said the bleeding wasn't the issue. The worry was more for a blood infection caused by the cut.
This does make sense but still if you wash your face before you shave and keep your blades clean it seems to me there should be no problem. I cannot stand electric razors. I only ever owned one that didn't irritate me all to hell ( a Braun). So I use good quality blades and a good shave cream and just go slow.

My doctors told me same thing, infection is the bigger issue just like it was my bicuspid valve as the risk of infection forming around the valve hinges and such is higher, same reason they still want me taking 4 x 500mg amoxicillin before any dental work still.

I get more cuts and scratches when Im hacking thru blackberry bushes cutting firewood than I ever have shaving,
Whereas the dentist antibiotics are a given as theres inumerable nasties in your mouth 😀

I am a lady who shaves her legs and arm pits with a disposable for years, can't deal with battery operated or electric razors. I just deal with the nicks like I would for a cut finger. Just apply pressure and then get the bandaid, it works everytime.

I agree with all those who use a razor to shave. I'm almost 28 years post OHS and, when I shave, I always use a blade. I also wet my face with warm water and put some cream from a tube (not the canned, aerosol stuff) on my face, and spread it over my face. In effect, I'm washing my face while I'm applying the shave cream.

I don't recall EVER having a particularly nasty cut or resulting infection. If the cut is bad enough, some kleenex or toilet paper held against it stops the bleeding. On most occasions, the little nicks stop all by themselves.

Perhaps the doctors think that you're swirling your razor between in the toilet between razor strokes, rather than under running water or in the sink. (I usually rinse my razor under running water).

I was never satisfied with electric razors, and I've had episodes where I DID get infected from the very tiny cuts on my skin.

When I was in the workforce (outside sales) I shaved with a blade razor with little problem.......a few tiny cuts that a styptic(?) pencil took care of quickly. Since retiring I only use an electric shaver with almost no cuts. Never remember any infection problems either way......over 50+ years on blood thinner.......30+ years with razor and 20 years on electric shaver.

Αfter the operation I wanted my life to be as normal as before. So I continue to shave as before in the photos you can see the setup I use. What matters is whether you have had surgery or not is the right disinfection.

Attachments

• 20201205_180020.jpg
    20201205_180020.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 20201205_180434.jpg
    20201205_180434.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 262
So I
Hi all

anyone have experience with face shaving? my surgeon, cardiologist and GP have all said that i should avoid using a proper razor-blade razor due to wafarin. .

Currently using an electric one. However, i miss the days of having a proper 100% clean shave and not having bits left behind (this could be due to fact it's not an expensive shaver either, just a cheap one)

Has / does anyone use blade razors? when i used use to use them, i cut myself and that i'm afraid of i don't wanna have to stand there for ages trying to get it t stop or is there a decent electric shaver out there that does a good job?

I did electric after surgery for about 9 months. I found electric shaving to be a little too raw on my skin, using Lectric Shave and a high end Braun shaver known for its smooth shaves. I never shave on Sundays to give my skin a rest. For the last 9ish months I do 2 weeks electric then 2 weeks normal using Edge gel and Harry’s blades. I do get the occasional minor NOC, but host.y electric shaving would occasionally draw blood as well. If you read the electric shaving reviews Braun gets great reviews and the 7 series is the sweet spot. They say the head can last a year to 18 months before it needs changing, but I swap it out every 6 months.

I am 6 months out and I shave normally as I did before, no issues. To be honest I never thought about it.

I shave with a double edged blade as I always have. The occasional nick isn’t and issue at all — hardly bleed any more that I did before going on warfarin

I don’t think infections are at an increased risk on warfarin. At least I’ve never heard of any actual risk increase. Definitely not something that I’m personally worried about.

37 years on warfarin never ever thought about shaving issues. Personally use rotary electric and linear electric rare nick. Doubt blade shaving an issue.
Zero concern about infection. Some physicians feel compelled to offer restricting advice based on nothing. I try not to. Sometimes I wonder about some patients who expect restrictions and are nervous when they are told that they can do anything. Sort of like expecting a pill when it is not needed.
Simple restrictions on warfarin. Avoid bashing your head. Beyond that most things won’t kill you.

Simple restrictions on warfarin. Avoid bashing your head. Beyond that most things won’t kill you.
The "not bashing your head" rule is really important. The reality of it came crashing down over the weekend for us. My friends son (28 yrs - same as one of my children) passed away on Saturday. He was in a car accident last Wednesday. He was the passenger and hit his head on the dashboard and side window. He was bleeding and unconscious when 1st responders arrived; he woke up and was taken to hospital. They did tests over a couple days and released him. Docs think he had an annurisym rupture on Saturday. The autopsy is set for today to confirm. He'd been on warfarin since he was about 20 because of a heart issue. Very sad and alarming at how fragile life can be.

Thank you sir.
Before I was discharged from the hospital after my surgery, I had to watch a video about warfarin, bleeding etc. the video was obviously meant to scare me because it sounded like you could bleed to death from a paper cut! I have been on warfarin 10 yrs and can honestly say I do not bleed any worse than before. What all warfarin users really need to worry about are unseen bleeding—head injuries or internal bleeding.

When I was in the hospital in April, I was bored, so I watched the Coumadin videos.

This was loaded with old, inaccurate stuff that had no relation to current scientific thought.

Perhaps I should have complained -- unless many people point this out to the hospital -- and probably the company that provides those videos to hospitals, this BS will continue to be shown.

I had a very bad blow to the top/back of my head at work about 2 weeks ago when I stood up under a platform which I thought I had cleared but had not. I did not pass out but it did bring me to my knees. My neck was extremely screwed up. I reported the injury as required (and as usual they twisted it to be my fault & the "witness" of the accident lied about his involvement with the help of his manager). It crossed my mind that it could cause a brain bleed but if I had pressed that & asked to go to a hospital for tests etc they would have fired me. So since I cannot live without health insurance and my meager salary I just crossed my fingers and waited to see what would happen. Thankfully nothing, so far anyways. At any sign of headaches, blurred vision, etc I will go to an ER but I believe I dodged a bullet. If not, oh well.

Latest posts

Back