Wafarin and shaving?

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

carolinemc

Poyda I am a female and still shave with a disposable razer. Always use caution, but I still do fine. It is always with use of common sense and caution. Just do what you feel and use caution. Doctors use what they want to shave with, so should you.

Keithl

I too read all the bologna about shaving only with an electric razor while on warfarin. One visit to my cardiologist and I asked him why no razor blades. I was a bit sarcastic telling him I found if difficult to believe I would bleed to death from a razor knick and he said the bleeding wasn't the issue. The worry was more for a blood infection caused by the cut.
This does make sense but still if you wash your face before you shave and keep your blades clean it seems to me there should be no problem. I cannot stand electric razors. I only ever owned one that didn't irritate me all to hell ( a Braun). So I use good quality blades and a good shave cream and just go slow.
My doctors told me same thing, infection is the bigger issue just like it was my bicuspid valve as the risk of infection forming around the valve hinges and such is higher, same reason they still want me taking 4 x 500mg amoxicillin before any dental work still.

Warrick

I get more cuts and scratches when Im hacking thru blackberry bushes cutting firewood than I ever have shaving,
Whereas the dentist antibiotics are a given as theres inumerable nasties in your mouth 😀

carolinemc

I am a lady who shaves her legs and arm pits with a disposable for years, can't deal with battery operated or electric razors. I just deal with the nicks like I would for a cut finger. Just apply pressure and then get the bandaid, it works everytime.

Protimenow

I agree with all those who use a razor to shave. I'm almost 28 years post OHS and, when I shave, I always use a blade. I also wet my face with warm water and put some cream from a tube (not the canned, aerosol stuff) on my face, and spread it over my face. In effect, I'm washing my face while I'm applying the shave cream.

I don't recall EVER having a particularly nasty cut or resulting infection. If the cut is bad enough, some kleenex or toilet paper held against it stops the bleeding. On most occasions, the little nicks stop all by themselves.

Perhaps the doctors think that you're swirling your razor between in the toilet between razor strokes, rather than under running water or in the sink. (I usually rinse my razor under running water).

I was never satisfied with electric razors, and I've had episodes where I DID get infected from the very tiny cuts on my skin.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
When I was in the workforce (outside sales) I shaved with a blade razor with little problem.......a few tiny cuts that a styptic(?) pencil took care of quickly. Since retiring I only use an electric shaver with almost no cuts. Never remember any infection problems either way......over 50+ years on blood thinner.......30+ years with razor and 20 years on electric shaver.

Latest posts