VR.org Cycle across America.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David W

Hi everyone. I hope your all well and tickety boo. Since I have started posting in here prior and post op, I was always aware of the (Donate) button next to the (Forums) tab toward the top of the page. Therefore it would seem clear that the administrators of this site incure costs to maintain the site to keep it up and running for people who need support. From my own experience this forum was such a cathartic find and the kind words and encouragement from (all) of the people in here was a godsend. I feel a true affinity to the sight as it was such a cushion for me when I was in such a dark place and would like to do something to maybe go someway to repay that experience. I am a cyclist and it was (funnily enough) only discovered that I needed OHS for an aneurysm and and a leaky valve, after quite a nasty crash on my bike (head on into a car at 30mph) during a glorious ride around the leafy lanes of Kent in the UK. I had an idea a month ago about how I might be able to raise funds for the forum and do something fantastic at the same time, my idea.................cycle across America.

Now logistically, I haven't thought of this in much detail and have merely been inspired by the thousands of people who do this every year, young and old who share their stories on YouTube. So the Kurx of my idea would be to see how many others on this site would be interested in an adventure, companionship, fun, laughter, sweat, hills, descents and achievement to acquire as much sponsorship money to help the moderators of the site continue their work to facilitate the upkeep of valverepacement.org. Maybe this could be something in 2017? I'm really not sure and just putting this out there. I feel this is something that I am going to do anyway so if you feel this might also be something that might appeal to you and you fancy jumping on board a road trip with a chirpy Welshman I'd love to have you come along. Please let me know your thoughts. The thought of a group of folk with who have had heart surgery cycling across America would I'm sure be an inspiration for everyone.

What say yee?

David

I'm sort of planning to ride coast to coast next year anyway - but I have slowed down since my surgery for aneurysm and leaky valve in Nov. 2014. I'll be 70 next year and have done this ride twice - coast to (almost) coast the first time in 2007 to commemorate my 60th birthday and coast to coast in 2009 just because. I'd love to do it again. But, and it's a big but right now, with the drugs I'm on it feels like I'm wading in wet concrete and riding my bikes is like riding through molasses. If I can get my dosages adjusted so I have a little (or a lot) more energy to train and ride I'll be happy to go along. Keep me posted.

What an awesome idea! I really enjoy getting to know people from other parts of the world - it is always fulfilling to learn of the differences and similarities.

My husband is training now for the "Longest River Swim" in the US. He will raise funds for the John Ritter Foundation, an American actor who died when his aortic aneurysm burst. The idea of doing something that directly supports this site is wonderful. I have no idea is I would be in any shape to do the whole thing but I wonder if I might be able to ride for a few days, at some point in the ride. Can people participate in less than the whole ride?

Amy

johninsd;n863737 said:
I'm sort of planning to ride coast to coast next year anyway - but I have slowed down since my surgery for aneurysm and leaky valve in Nov. 2014. I'll be 70 next year and have done this ride twice - coast to (almost) coast the first time in 2007 to commemorate my 60th birthday and coast to coast in 2009 just because. I'd love to do it again. But, and it's a big but right now, with the drugs I'm on it feels like I'm wading in wet concrete and riding my bikes is like riding through molasses. If I can get my dosages adjusted so I have a little (or a lot) more energy to train and ride I'll be happy to go along. Keep me posted.

Hey there. Thanks for the reply and apologies for my late reply as I have been manic these past few months. The more the merrier. I think I'm looking to maybe do this in May 2017. I have so much going on at present (I work for myself) so I don't think I could just heave ho out of London just yet and need to plan things a bit. I plan on doing the trans stlantic bike trail from east to west. I will keep you posted with posts in the forum. My very best regards to you. David

Amy, firstly I apologise for my very late reply. I've been so busy here in London. Of course you can ride as much or as little you like. I'm maybe planning on doing this in May 2017 so there will be plenty of time to plan and get yourself in shape. I also plan to do the trans Atlantic bike trail (have a look online) and I plan to do the east to west. Are you near any of the places it passes through? I would love to do it this year but I do t think I'll be organised that quickly (apparently May to September is the best time weather wise). Yes it would be great to do something for the forum and raise money for its prolonged future. I will update on the forum about the developments. Best regards David.

Latest posts

Back