Vitamin K2

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Been using the search function on this site looking for information on vitamin K2 as a supplement, but its giving me no search results. Does K2 effect INR? or is it a good supplement to add for its many health benefits?

Hi

almost_hectic;n883737 said:
Been using the search function on this site looking for information on vitamin K2 as a supplement, but its giving me no search results.

ok, first rule of searching: do not make your search terms complex use key words gently and do not include confusing search parameters (in simple searching engines) like sentences. A bad search:
"has anyone talked about K2 here"

a good search:
"vitamin K2"

I got 500 results which were all good.

second, best searching happens using google, and restrict google to a site with a specific command, try this search exactly as it is below

site:valvereplacement.org/forums k2 inr

copy and paste that directly into google

Does K2 effect INR? or is it a good supplement to add for its many health benefits?

not that I've ever heard of (and its not what Warfarin inhibits anyway, so its not likely to make a difference.

Myself I've never found substantial believable evidence that any multivitamins are useful to humans (except the CEO's and shareholders of the companies) unless you're in a starvation situation such as in an African Refugee camp. There are many pharmacy and biochem researchers who would LOVE (think of the money) to find such evidence, but so far it just hasn't emerged (not from the lack of trying). Multivitamins are in the main a belief system, like religion (which is pretty popular).

There may be some evidence that K2 assists bone strength, but its shakey. Bottom line is if you want to give it a whirl then go for it, in my view there is nothing to loose.

HTH

Below a couple of links from the forum when vitamin K2 was discussed. K2 is different from K1. K1 is the coagulant vitamin, mostly found in green leafy vegetables, very common and no one likely to be deficient in it. K2 is to do with putting calcium in the bones and keeping it out of the arteries, it is found in some fermented type foods, cheeses, meat such as liver and people can be deficient in it but hardly anyone is tested for it as generally doctors confuse it with K1.
http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/forum/heart-talk/879180-vitamin-k2-mk7
http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...in-plaque-vit-k2-cyclodextrin-stopping-plaque

So, maybe my doctor was confused too! Thanks for clarifying this.
BTW, I love fermented food and I eat them daily, especially “picked turnips” I prepare myself so as to control salt!

almost_hectic;n883753 said:
Thanks but I never mentioned multivitamins
Sorry, I was classifying all supplements together. Individually or in groups. For most of us there is no clear evidence of their usefulness.

pellicle;n883759 said:
Sorry, I was classifying all supplements together. Individually or in groups. For most of us there is no clear evidence of their usefulness.

If there was evidence they would be classified as drugs and regulated as such. So no, there is of course no evidence. Most over the counter vitamins are crap with little effectiveness. Multivitamins especially. However I can tell you from my own experience if you learn enough about what you're taking in order to understand whats right for you, and if what you're taking is properly sourced, they can make a difference. I take a specific Magnesium and it makes a world of difference "for me" in many ways that are very beneficial to my health and how I feel.

So with that knowledge Im not going to automatically dismiss the idea of vitamins altogether.

Hi

almost_hectic;n883760 said:
If there was evidence they would be classified as drugs and regulated as such.

I don't believe that's how it works. Drugs are distinct from Foods (and hopefully always will be). Vitamins are so called because they are compounds that are essential for proper functioning of metabolism that the body can not manufacture itself (meaning relies upon it being in the diet.

Vitamins are well documented and well researched being about the first things of use identified by the (then) new science of Biochemistry.

Not all vitamins for humans are vitamins for other animals; vitamin C for instance is not needed for cattle because they make it themselves (indeed it was an early source for us making vitamin C tablets)

Its surprising how good the body is in using them and storing them and so the usual needed doses are tiny.

However I can tell you from my own experience if you learn enough about what you're taking in order to understand whats right for you, and if what you're taking is properly sourced, they can make a difference.

I agree ... and I would foster and encourage any learning that included rigor and careful documentation.

I take a specific Magnesium and it makes a world of difference "for me" in many ways that are very beneficial to my health and how I feel.

as you should ... also technically Magnesium is not a vitamin it is a mineral, and of course needed in the diet.

I wrote what I wrote not just to YOU but to any other readers and to address the issue that by and large the VAST majority of vitamin supliments are just going to the sewerage.

So with that knowledge Im not going to automatically dismiss the idea of vitamins altogether.

I would never suggest you do ... you should at least acquire good knowledge and make an informed decision.

Best Wishes

My Cardio has given me the general instruction that if I wish to take dietary suplements or vitamins to clear it with them first. They also told me to ask the prescribing doctor if any new prescription will affect me as a warfarin-eater or to call them with each new prescription to see if there are any interactions. A lot of times it's not the material but the dosage.

I've been told by more than one general practitioner, that with all essential nutrients, elements, vitamins, etc., it's usually best to eat a balance diet and leave the supplements alone. The only supplement I take is bran due to past colon problems and it was recommended by my GI guy due to past colon surgery.

pellicle;n883761 said:
Hi

I don't believe that's how it works. Drugs are distinct from Foods (and hopefully always will be). Vitamins are so called because they are compounds that are essential for proper functioning of metabolism that the body can not manufacture itself (meaning relies upon it being in the diet.

Vitamins are well documented and well researched being about the first things of use identified by the (then) new science of Biochemistry.

Not all vitamins for humans are vitamins for other animals; vitamin C for instance is not needed for cattle because they make it themselves (indeed it was an early source for us making vitamin C tablets)

Its surprising how good the body is in using them and storing them and so the usual needed doses are tiny.

I agree ... and I would foster and encourage any learning that included rigor and careful documentation.

as you should ... also technically Magnesium is not a vitamin it is a mineral, and of course needed in the diet.

I wrote what I wrote not just to YOU but to any other readers and to address the issue that by and large the VAST majority of vitamin supliments are just going to the sewerage.

I would never suggest you do ... you should at least acquire good knowledge and make an informed decision.

Best Wishes

Pellicle

I began this thread talking about taking supplements, you seem convinced Im only discussing vitamins for some reason. Yes, I know Magnesium is a mineral and not a vitamin. I never said Magnesium was a vitamin or anything else for that matter, but thanks for pointing that fact out anyway. I was only saying some supplements can be beneficial, to some people. If that person first understand what they are taking and why.

As you were so kind to point out, yes drugs are as a matter of fact, distinct from foods. That was my whole point you seem to have missed. Supplements are not classified as DRUGS because they have no proof of effectiveness. Thats exactly what I meant when I said "If there was evidence they would be classified as drugs and regulated as such." That is the essential difference between the two.

You seem to claim you would never suggest I or anyone else automatically dismiss the idea that taking vitamins may be beneficial... But yet, you took to belittling those of us who might, as somehow fools who cling to believing in something that could only possibly benefit the manufacturers profits and never us, unless if we were perhaps starving refugees. You could have exited this thread after posting that comment as that was when I stopped caring what your opinion on the subject was.

Best Wishes.

almost_hectic;n883786 said:
Pellicle

I began this thread talking about taking supplements, you seem convinced Im only discussing vitamins for some reason.

I'm struggling as to how you determine I was belittling ... I have my opinions about stuff and about "carefree" knowledge it seems only others are entitled to their opinions (and it seems only those who take a carefree attittude to accuracy or science).

I assisted you in my very first reply , gave you answers, assisted you in searches and my only sin was to attempt to clarify things and to generalise vitamins as multivitamins which you now interpret as me being belittling.

Frankly I don't give a flying what you think of my opinions. Frankly I don't give a flying what anyone thinks about my opinions because I can actually validate them with evidence.

Fare thee well

Latest posts

Back