Vitamin K2 and Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen a multivitamin that says one way or the other. The ones I have looked at only say K. I asume it is K1, since that is the cheapest, and by volume is less. Quality vitamin K2 comes from natto (fermented soybeans), so it is bulky.

I take a whole foods multivitamin with no K at all, and take the 45mcg of K2 separate.

Just an update on my little one man trial. I upped my vit K2 intake to 90mgs per day. It seems to have little or no affect on my INR as far as I can tell. I take 5mg of coumadin per day, and have maintained a 2.8 INR almost every week.

Please keep in mind for anyone who is interested in K2; I did this with direction from a coumadin clinic, while testing at least once a week, often twice.

There are studies that show Vit K does reduce abnormal clotting. So there are benefits and I concur with a few others here in that I do not avoid the green stuff. Just had a spinach salad tonite.

You bring up the million dollar question. Will increased K2 require increased Coumadin, and will that increase in Coumadin cancel out all actions of the K2. The catch 22 if you will

From what I can simplify, the Coumadin does its work in the liver where Vit K1 activates the proteins that work on blood coagulation. I have read in a couple other articles that the K2s structure has a much longer half life, and is metabolized into the body in other places other than the liver. With that said, it may be possible an added dose of K2 may be able to do its job for the body, even if a little extra Coumadin is required.

I have a home INR tester, and have a small surplus of strips. I am going to start 45mcg of K2 and test every other day for two weeks to gather results. If this causes only minor changes in INR I will try the 90mcg. If I am able tolerate this with only minor increases in Coumadin, I will make this part of my regiment just to play it safe. I don't eat many greens, so this could be my primary source of K that we have all learned we need to maintain our levels. In a few years they will determine I was either wasting my money, or that I may have helped stop a deadly progression of calcification. We will see

Interested in your long term test results. Anything to share? Am interested in the same testing with the help of the CC and Doc.

I still take my K2 50mcg every other day. I like the benefits of the K2, so it is my K of choice. If I tavel with work and eat out a lot, I tend to eat more greens, so I cup down on those weeks. This seems to have little affect on the amount of Coumadin I need, but does seem to help keep my levels stable.

I do notice I need to take a 2.5mg booster when I had a week with heavy exercise. Metabolism seems to have an affect on INR.

i was just looking at a video from Dr Oz , and apparantly eating 2 slices of jarlsberg , gouda ,cheese helps with preventing cancer and has vitamin k2 in it, two birds with 1 stone....worth a try

I still take my K2 50mcg every other day. I like the benefits of the K2, so it is my K of choice. If I tavel with work and eat out a lot, I tend to eat more greens, so I cup down on those weeks. This seems to have little affect on the amount of Coumadin I need, but does seem to help keep my levels stable.

I do notice I need to take a 2.5mg booster when I had a week with heavy exercise. Metabolism seems to have an affect on INR.

hook,

I have been reading up on K2 lately...are you taking MK-4 or MK-7 supplements? Still no change to your INR?

Buzz

Hi Hook
I've been taking 100 mcg of Vit K-2 every day since last year without any drastic changes in my INR and I've been taking the same dose of Coumadin as well. It's all good.
Sandra

Latest posts

Back