Vitamin K2 and Ramipril?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I hope u posted on right page thanks
Hi name's Charlie I'm 30 they found my BAV when I was 20, I wanted to join army but they heard a Mermer and was a no go. ,I haven't had surgery yet things are ok from last year . I have always been in a state about it for past 10years and I'm only looking after my diet or you could say I kinda woken up! I been looking in to this K2 everyone banging on about I take Ramipril 2.5 and I got some vitamin k2 50ug today im at a loss end to be honest just don't wanna end up worse or speed stiff up?! Google don't help much and my next appointment is near December I'm on NHS so can just turn up asking questions like this I'm very unsure about D3 also with it is rather eat my Oat bran with MILK morning and night and sit on Sun 20mins 1s a day or every other Any advice of experiences on taking K2 on Ramipril or positive effects on K2 thanks

Hi Charlie,

I started taking vitamin D3 ten years ago, I got it on prescription, not because I was low in vitamin D as I was replete in it, but because I was being monitored by my endocrinologist as I had had too high a level of it. I was taking it both for my bone health and for my heart health having read about the benefits of vitamin D for both. Of course the sun is the best source of vitamin D but living in the UK we don’t all of us get enough ! You can only make it from the sun between April and September and then only a couple of hours either side of midday, but you only need 10 to 15 minutes each time, assuming the sun is shining (yes I know it’s shining far too much at the moment !).

And I started taking vitamin K2 as MK7, 300mcg, seven years ago after reading about it’s benefits for both heart and bone health. Dr William Davies, a cardiologist who had a blog at the time, wrote that vitamin K2 helped stopped coronary calcification, including in the aortic valve, though that was with degenerative aortic valve disease rather than bicuspid aortic valve. Vitamin K2 is not so easy to obtain from our diet.

Anyway, since both vitamin K2 and vitamin D are both very healthful and beneficial for the heart I took them and are still taking them. I don’t know if the K2 slowed down the stenosis of my bicuspid valve, it appeared to go slower for a while, however it would be impossible to know for sure unless there was a parallel universe with an identical me in it not taking K2 LOL There's a clinical trial about to start on the benefits of vitamin K2 on calcification in bicuspid aortic valve so there is probably something in it: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946171/

I’ve not read anything to suggest there are any contraindications of taking K2 and Ramipril.

PS The murmur from my bicuspid aortic valve was first heard when I was 25. I had surgery to replace the valve when I was 60.

Thanks for your reply, I have to wait a while to talk to a heart doctor as I have moved very far so New hospital and all that,I started on 50ug k2 I'm going to get D3 next week add to it, but my only issues is the dosage and my GP don't have a clue, I'd rather start taking these vitamins now then later if you get what I mean, do you think 50ug k2 is to low? As a long term user what would you say is a nice amount of D3 and k2? People also talk of magnisieum also to make a lovely combination? Thanks again for your reply was one of your messages and 3am that brought me here hehe

Hi Charlie - 50ug is 50mcg (ug and mcg both stand for micrograms). Mostly I’ve seen vitamin K2 sold in 200mcg capsules. I don’t think you’ll find a doctor who knows much about it or how much you should take as they’re not trained in that and the knowledge about vitamin K2 is fairly new. Have a look on the internet but try and find sites that are not selling it to get an impartial view of dosage. When it comes to vitamin D3 doctors do know about that but the only way to find out how much you need for sure is to get a vitamin D test from your doctor to find out your current level of it and then take an appropriate amount of D3 or not - plus the sunshine ! I sometimes take magnesium, but not much as it can easily give diarrhoea - my diet is high in magnesium anyway.

CharlieChalk, it is always better to talk to the doctor before taking any over the counter drugs. It is to make sure that it will be okay with the drugs you are currently taking do interactive with each other. Please be careful before taking anything. Discuss this with your current doctor. Hugs for today. :)

It’'s always wise to let your doctors know what you are taking of over the counter supplements. My cardiologist, endocrinologist and GP all know I take vitamin K2, and the endo, and now GP, prescribes the D3. When I was in hospital having AVR I handed in my K2 along with my other meds on admission, and each day the nurse handed over my doses of it along with my other meds !

Mind you, it can be said that any vitamin (or mineral ?), unless a person is taking a megadose, is perfectly fine with any pharmaceutical medication for the simple reason that vitamins and minerals are essential for health and found in the diet, or from the sun in the case of vitamin D, so therefore there cannot be an contraindication with any pharmaceutical meds (except in the case of vitamin K1 and warfarin - and K1 containers have warnings written on them regarding warfarin, but then also with warfarin there are warnings about consuming sudden large amounts of green veggies which are high in K1).

Last edited:
Spoken to my GP there terrible. got few months till I'm registerd with my heart doctor still, but I got my hands on k2 5oug and 400iu d3 just gonna stick with that till I see them , is a CT scan better then A ECO scan or is it always better to demand a CT I get seen every 1year but I move around a lot due to work?? Because I feel here in UK if you don't know what your talking about they just palm you off with rubbish don't inform you properly etc etc... my diet has changed well as I can, no smoking water only leafy food frozen veg less meat no butter more oat bran jog 15/20 mins ever other day mostly i eat special cakes 2 time a month so I can just relax from all stress which does help, Just trying ever thing I can to stop surgery when it comes I even was thinking of do a clinical trail ....as I said I have Bicuspid aortic vavle moderate regurgitation and can anyone really say this d3 and k2 have help in any way?? Thanks again for your reply !!!

Back