Vitamin K supplement use along with eating greens

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to take a low dose vitamin K supplement everyday to create stability and then not take the pill on days that I eat vitamin K in my diet? The reason I am asking is because I am a vegetarian, but I don't eat vitamin K every single day. I usually eat it a couple of times a week. I just wanted to create a steady intake of vitamin K on the days that I don't eat greens because I feel like that will create more stability with my INR. The key is consistency and eating vitamin K only a couple times a week doesn't seem as consistent as getting vitamin K everyday. I am currently taking a multivitamin that I have been taking since I was in the hospital with 35% daily value of vitamin k everyday. So my INR has been adjusted to that daily intake of vitamin K. Any advice will help. Thanks.

If it were me, I would continue my current daily multi-vitamin w/vit K and adjust my warfarin dose to that vitamin. I doubt that starting and stopping the vit would make a lot of difference.....and would be a hassle. I am not vegitarian, but there are days when I do not eat vit K and my INR stays stable. You only need to adjust your dose to fit your normal routine and expect to alter your dose if your routine changes substantially.

I'm with Dick on this. I don't think it's easy - if at all possible - to figure out how much Vitamin K that you are getting with the greens you're eating. The additional Vitamin K in your greens probably won't throw your INR off too much, and if you're aiming for a stable INR, taking Vitamin K and adding a bit with meals every day or two shouldn't be too big a problem.

It it was my choice, I'd probably try to aim towards the high end of my range - that way, even if I had a LOT of Vitamin K and it dropped me a few points, I'd still probably be in range.

Back