Vitamin D

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bio AVR 2011, 9 years ago. Last but one echo 2018 showed no deterioration. I was told by my GP that I was VitD deficient and to take the highest over the counter supplement. Took for 18 months, then felt some arrhythmia so looked it up and discovered that VitD in high doses can cause this. At the same time, I read two papers stating that high dose VitD had caused unexpected calcium build up in bio valves. I stopped taking it. Recent echo showed calcification. Expected followup appointment with cardiologist did not happen due to COVID restrictions, telephone instead with cardiology nurse who just had a list of questions to ask me and could not answer my query as to whether I should resume VitD, stop it or take a lower dose. Just wondered if anyone else has come across this.

Hi, what was your Vit D reading at the point you were told it was low ?

What daily dose have you been taking for 18 months ?

What is your Vit D level now ? have you had it checked during the 18 month period ?

Last edited:
I had something similar happen, but with my real aortic valve. I don't know for sure, but I believe the vitamin d added to the problem. What I have since learned is that vitamin d and vitamin k work together, and that magnesium also needs to be taken. Vitamin d helps your body absorb calcium and vitamin k gets calcium to the bones and teeth.

I had something similar happen, but with my real aortic valve. I don't know for sure, but I believe the vitamin d added to the problem. What I have since learned is that vitamin d and vitamin k work together, and that magnesium also needs to be taken. Vitamin d helps your body absorb calcium and vitamin k gets calcium to the bones and teeth.
Interesting!

Before my surgery I never was told that I needed Vit. D. My surgeon said that my AV and MV were severely calcified. After my surgery, it was recommended.
Now my other two valves are calcified including the Aortic root!!!
Not sure, in my case, if it’s the nature of my body, Vit. D, Calcium pills (which I read also that it does) causes calcification, or ?!
here‘s a good read from NIH: Vitamin D in Vascular Calcification: A Double-Edged Sword?
personally, I noticed every time I take Vit. D, my nose bleed for a second for two and it happens suddenly without me noticing it. (My oldest sister told me the same thing about 6 years ago, I ignored! She’s was and is right).
I am interested to hear more about it.

There's more answers in an almost duplicate thread which had more postings here: VitD and bio AVR

Btw, calcium supplements can lead to calcification. Calcium supplements are not the same as the calcium one gets from food. Calcium supplements are generally calcium carbonate. Although I have osteoporosis I do not take calcium supplements, in fact they actually give me severe diarrhea but regardless I can get enough calcium from my diet and that's without much dairy too - eg sardines with bones, leafy green veggies. It's actually not usually true either that osteoporosis is caused by lack of calcium, there's usually plenty of calcium in peoples' diets, it's a very common mineral.

Latest posts

Back