Visual problems following cardiac surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pellicle;n854286 said:
I don't know if I'm somehow influencing my memories (thinking about these things differently now) but I have clear memories of my first migraines when I was in my late teens ... I recall having a visual disturbance and throwing up in a carpark outside of seaworld.

You sure you weren't seasick?

I vividly remember my first migraine when I was 17. I got up to go to the toilet and when I was washing my hands noticed that I had no feeling in my left thumb. The numbness started spreading around my hand, before it started to subside. My migraines evolved to the visual aura, which still causes me anxiety when it happens. It's unpleasant, but I don't get the headache.

Agian;n854287 said:
You sure you weren't seasick?

not that I'd ever admit to ... grew up on boats :)

My migraines evolved to the visual aura, which still causes me anxiety when it happens. It's unpleasant, but I don't get the headache.
interestingly I don't get 'pain' headaches either ... being unable to do maths (like play cards), feeling a bit confused, unable to follow simple instructions, some mild nausea and stuff like that, but pain no.

pellicle;n854264 said:
its sorta weird when it happens, its like you go slowly "cross eyed". Of course closing one eye returns single vision, but its interesting that they eyes can't align (yet coordinate to look at something) ... feels strange inside the head too ... happens now and then for me (less than 4 times a year)
That sounds a bit like convergence insufficiency. Your feel a little strange and then your vision goes wonky. Closing one eye works to restore single vision or even moving your head, like tilting it to one side or another until your vision aligns. I visited several optometrists/opthamologists over the years until I finally saw a pediatric opthamologist (referral) that was able to properly diagnose CI (referal 2 yrs. ago). I was told for years that my vision was fine (20/20) and that I most likely had an optic palsy....nope, nothing of the kind. I attended vision therapy sessions for a while to retrain my eyes to focus properly and as a result, I rarely get double vision now. It mostly happens when I'm very tired or have been staring at a computer far too long. I can feel it coming on and can force myself to bring my vision into focus. It's different from when I get a migraine.

Lisa2;n854364 said:
That sounds a bit like convergence insufficiency.... I can feel it coming on and can force myself to bring my vision into focus. It's different from when I get a migraine.
could be ... it only happens time to time and I've not found a common point in each time. I also get visual pattern migrains and the "double vision" has only started in the last 2years ...

I'll see if anyone can diagnose it better, but the occurence frequency is so low as to make it difficult to diagnose.

Oh well- forewarned is... I'm glad I knew ahead of time these were coming. I have had four or five since I have gotten home. I pray they dissipate...

Just an update, I went about 3 months with no real issues, just the occasional spark of light.

Then at the end of June I had TWO ocular migraine episodes in one day, once in the morning and once in the evening. never had two in one day before but I felt okay afterwards.

Then, I had one over the 4th of July weekend.

As best as I can tell fatigue and stress may be triggers.

That's all, just wanted to add this data point to the archive!

Hope you all are doing well and having a great summer

I wish I could report that my aura are gone, but they're not. They are less frequent, but worse when they do happen. The neurological ophthalmologist confirmed that I don't have particles floating in my blood vessels, which is the most important finding. I might be stuck with these for life.

I'm still getting the aura from time to time, though less frequently. Also sometimes double vision, again less frequently. The bright sparkles of light are still there daily but not so much. So these visual effects are slowly getting better (nearly 18 months since surgery now).

Latest posts

Back