Visual disturbances

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ive had ocular migraine auras prior to surgery but have had 17 of them since surgery in Oct. No pain. My surgeon said drink more water and see a neurologist. Ive been reading that its from the heart/lung machine. Im thinking of seeing my chiropractor since my neck has been hurting. Anyone have this problem or a solution?

They are migraines, millions who have never had OHS get them, so it's petty weird to associate them with the heart king machine.

I find that sitting posture (I work a desk job) plays an important role and like some have found chiropractic helps reduce their frequency.

There are good and poor chiropractic clinicians, so if at first you don't succeed try another.

I have had ocular migraines on and off over the last 15 years. I am not sure of your age or gender, some women get them due to 'hormones'. You are not alone... I don't recall them being worse or better post surgery, but definitely had them. The neurologist suggested I could try Vit b 12 and MG supplements (based on a 'small'study.)

I’ve been having episodes of migraine auras - zigzagging patterns of light in my vision which start in the centre of vision and move outwards - double vision and sparkles of light crossing my vision ever since the day after heart surgery nearly five years ago. The auras and double vision usually every few days or weekly, the sparkles of light every day. The doctor on the cardiac ward told me this kind of thing often happens after heart surgery. If you key in visual disturbances in the forum search facility you’ll find quite a few threads from people who’ve had this since heart surgery. My understanding is that this is due to the heart lung machine too. Since I don’t get a headache I’ve not consulted a neurologist about this.

My personal experience mirrors Paleowoman.. Two open heat surgeries, I get the episodes of auras, and now experiencing double vision issues. eye doctor has said that it is not cataracts causing the issue as they are too small to matter at this point.
His is working with me now to solve my double vision issue. He located my proper eye alignment, and has placed a temporary prizim lens inside my left eyeglass lens. It really makes a difference, and my Dbl Vision is not an issue. He will tweak it further, and get rid of the little bit of blurr that I still get due to the temporary fix. He wanted me to try this for a few weeks first before making final prescription for a new pair of glasses.

I've been getting ocular migraines for about twenty years. Before my surgery I would have one or two per year; after surgery I'm experiencing one or two per month. My cardiologist had not heard of this phenomenon (I told him about the experiences that others have posted here on the forum) but was not concerned. I don't think there's any need to try to prevent them, even if there were some way to do so.

Prior to valve surgery, I experienced absolutely NO ocular migraines, double vision, or anything else of note, other than the typical age-related presbyopia (I'm told that this means "old eyes." When I developed that condition, I needed reading glasses -- at age 19). After surgery, I have the occasional ocular migraine, with no pain, just sparkles. More often, though, I have short-duration double vision. Mine lasts from 10-15 seconds to maybe a minute or so, not long enough to be much of a problem. I find that sometimes I can relieve the double vision by focusing my eyes on something in the middle or far distance, which makes me think mine is somehow related to my eye muscles either cramping or something like that. Sometimes closing my eyes helps, but not while driving. . .

Latest posts

Back