Visiting your ICU or rehab facility

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnelian

Have any of you returned to visit the nurses and medical staff that took care of you at the ICU
or rehab in the hospital or elsewhere--maybe to thank them? Or just to talk? Do you ever think
about them--if your surgery was recent? My hospital is very close by and I have other appointments
there these days, so I returned twice and they were glad to see me. Nice to return when I am
feeling well and do not need them. But I have not gone back to the ICU--maybe they don't remember me.

I visited the ward and the ICU when I was back again to see the surgeon (checkup at about one month) and (due to shifts) only one or two of the same nurses were there, the senior administration nurse was on. They of course remembered me (as they will you) You're there for a few days and even McDonalds workers can recall people after a couple of visits.

I took chocolates and my wife and I thanked them. They were pleased at the thought and I could tell it wasn't something often done for them.

I wouldn't feel compelled, but if you feel like you want to you should. I know its "their job" but equally they are people and do a caring job ... well ... because they care.

I think it would be very appropriate. I visit OHS patients at a local hospital and see how hard and strenuous being a nurse in todays world is.

I took the nursing staff a dozen roses after my discharge.......partly out of appreciation and partly as an apology for being a difficult patient towards the end of my stay.

Annoyingly it did not occur to me to visit my ICU people after surgery, perhaps because I was not particularly conscious much, as i recall. But I did return to the recovery ward, where I spent more time and was more alert, and I also arranged for a box of 100 of those twin-pack biscuits you get in coffee shops as a hopefully practical thank-you gift for all the staff, from cleaners and catering people to the nurses.

Not long after my surgery the hospital was closed and converted to a cancer speciality centre, and relocated into Barts Hospital, though not sure how many of the staff made that move.

My surgery was in a top-rated, huge, super-busy big-city teaching hospital. I hardly remember any of the staff, and it was highly impractical to get back up there to see any of them, if they were even on the ward if I was to visit. That is the downside of the super-hospitals in our big cities.

I did, however, get back to visit my cardiac rehab team a few times, as I did rehab at a regional hospital near home. I have a lot of (too many) other appointments at this regional hospital, so the visit was much more practical. Once I got past the first few years, though, many of the staff at the rehab center had moved on to other jobs, so the visit was more to remind myself of where I was, rather than to find my friends to thank them again. I wouldn't try to speak with any of the patients in rehab -- I am not an authorized, trained counselor, and I wouldn't presume that anyone would want to hear from me.

Agian;n880597 said:
No one wants to hear from me either, but I'm entitled to share my wisdom.

To that, we are entitled. I just wouldn't force it on the uninterested. If they are interested, I will graciously share. I guess it is a matter of degree.

My wife and I were just on a 3 week vacation to visit our daughter and her husband in Palm Springs. We took a few days to drive up to SFO and meet with Bill B and Bill and I also met with Dr. Craig Miller at his office at Stanford. Dr. Miller did both our surgeries back in 2009. It was great to see Bill and also Dr. Miller.

mainframe;n880625 said:
My wife and I were just on a 3 week vacation to visit our daughter and her husband in Palm Springs. We took a few days to drive up to SFO and meet with Bill B and Bill and I also met with Dr. Craig Miller at his office at Stanford. Dr. Miller did both our surgeries back in 2009. It was great to see Bill and also Dr. Miller.

Hi Mainframe

I have my AVR done in India in 2010 and now i have been diagnosed with Thoracic Aneurysm . I have met Dr. Miller also few days back. He asked for surgery soon.
His age is of most worry to me. He seems 71+ yrs of age. I felt his hands are not that firm now.
How you will rate him as surgeon now?

Latest posts

Back