visit with cardio today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bethanne

What a relief... I have been so anxious waiting the two weeks since my echo for this appointment. Although my echo test shows some change my cardio was mostly concerned about the symptoms I have been experiencing. After his physical exam and our conversation he agreed that it was time to do something about the valve. He had me do some blood work as he is concerned about electrolytes with the diuretic my pcp has me on. Also my blood pressure was up to 160/90 which is the highest it has ever been. He have me a perscription for nifedipin and has me scheduled for a stress echo in two weeks. He is wanting to run some more tests to be able to support the symptoms for the consult with a surgeon.
As my husband put it, the doctor has started the ball rolling.
Looking back I probably should of alerted my dr to my symptoms sooner. Denial is a powerful thing when we don't want to face the reality of our limitations.

I am grateful that I have a doctor that I trust. I did forget to ask for a copy of the test results. I really felt a peace today, at the moment I didn't feel like I needed to know everything that was what my dr. is there for. To figure it out and that he would give me the information as he feels that I need it. I am sure it won't take me long and I will be curious again and calling for all the details. But for today, I was content to just hear him say " I am hearing you and I am concerned." I am not sure exactly what is going to happen next or how quickly this will all take place.

I am so grateful that I found this site. At a time when I was really struggling to understand my symptoms and how they related to my heart condition y'all were there for me. Looking back I don't know why I waited so long. Thank you! I feel very fortunate that I have something that can be fixed. My situation seems so minor to compare to some of the struggles that others are going through, yet everyone here understands that it is still a big deal to me.

Have any of you had any experience with nifedipin?

Thanks, bethanne

Hi Bethanne

Glad to hear things are beginning to move along. Be sure to get copies of any and all reports. Not so much for your reading, but to have on hand should the need for a second opinion pop up or some other event that may require them.

Nifedipine-How much has he started you on? It can make you feel really uncomfortable (funny) until your body gets used to it if it's a larger dose. Don't take it with other BP meds. Take one early then the other about 6 hours later.

Hello Bethanne,

It sounds like you are in good hands. Just remember, as you said, you have a problem that CAN BE FIXED so just go through all the necessary motions (and tests) and when it is time, they will let you know. I am one of those who believes that SOONER is BETTER than LATER when it comes to valve surgery.

You should be able to obtain copies of your test results and any other records simply by going to your Doctor's office ans signing a release. If your Doc is in a large practice, they may take some time (a week or two) in getting them copied and mailed.

'AL'

Ross,

the dosage is 30mg x1 a day. I opted to take it at pm since the phamplet said dizziness may occur. The directions on the bottle did not specifiy am or pm.
He only gave me a 30 day dose for now.

As soon as I got in the car, I said to myself I didn't ask for the test results... AAH I was so relieved when he said that it was time... Everything else just went out the window. But thanks for the stern push in that direction. I will certainly request the info.

Last August I left my sales job (I was having a hard time on my feet selling furniture all day) and went to work with my husband. He (we) have a moving business. Now I just sit at a desk all day. Anyways, as a small business owner we were getting our insurance through my other job. When I left I went on a cobra policy. After several months of researching we were approved for a group policy effective Feb. 1st. I am concerned about how this is going to effect our status/rates. We were approved for 15% above base rate becuase my echos have been good and other than general fatigue I have been fairly asymptomatic until I caught this cold/or whatever it was end of January...

I am just glad it did not happen on the cobra policy or we may not ever gotten on a group policy.

Nifedipin

Nifedipin

Bethanne,

You responded to me on a recent post, and I wanted to offer what I know about nifedipin.

I've been on nifedipin for about 10-12 months now. I take a 60mg pill 1x a day. I assume your doctor gave you the extended release variety... it provides a slow release of the drug instead of one big shot.

I've not had any ill affects (at least not that I'm aware of) from taking the pill. In fact, I dislike the diurectics much more than the nifedipin.

I don't believe I've seen any dizziness as a result of taking it.

Apparently it is not exactly understood, but somehow the nifedipin somehow helps to preserve these valves - and slow the rate of progression - at least in some cases.

Take care,

David.

thanks david,
I took my first dose last night and have a headache that started about 10 hours ago. I did read that as a side effect somewhere. I hope the headaches don't stick around long. I have tried tylenol and advil, but am hesitant to take anything else as neither of those have worked. I will call dr tomorrow...

:)

headache

headache

Hmmmm... I've not had any headaches with mine. Is it the extended release you're taking? I would think it releases slow enough to not cause headache's commonly. Perhaps not.

Good luck.

David.

Latest posts

Back